3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fuel filter cap - how tight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter cap - how tight?

Hey guys, how tight are we supposed to make the fuel filter cap? I went to replace my fuel filter for the 2nd time and almost couldn't get it off. Maybe I went too tight that first time? It just spooks me cause that cap looks like it's made from plastic and I wouldn't wanna crack it!
Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 AM

Don't make this too hard. I haven't really ever thought about it, but hand tight/snug? has worked great here for the last year and a half.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:56 AM

I just didn't know if it was like putting on the oil filter and making it hand tight. It'd hate to crack the cap, but wasn't sure if you tighten it until you can't tighten any more or you just snug it. I've been snugging it, but it just seemed really tight when I tried taking it off the last time.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:25 AM

I had the same concern when I first got the truck-used-and had the dodge dealer do all recomended service at 67,900 mi in prep for a trip. they never changed the fuel filter. the truck stalled in silvercity, N M with a partially blocked filter! On the side of the road, with a 12 point socket and ratchet I couldn't open the plastic cover. It still wouldn't bodge even after I walked away, let the bugs eat me up to establish humility and returned to talk nice to it!

Eventually got into town, waited for auto parts to open [ sunday morning] and bought a 6 point, a 8" extension and the longest breaker bar they had.
[had 3 at home] Now it's no more sweet talk I put a pipe on the breaker bar handle for good measure and that little "plastic" imovable object surrendered without breaking! I knew nothing of after market stuff or this forum or I would have been an easy mark for a FASS system or any other for that matter.

Since then I tighten the cap hand tight, snug it with the socket and back it up 1/8 to 1/4 inch to relax the O ring and its been manageble since. good luck...STY
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM

25 foot pounds.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:45 PM

Schorb- I made a little mark on the cap indicating where they had it tightened to, and just lined up the marks when I replced it with the new one. (As long as it's not as tight as rangersts was!)
Old 05-08-2004, 05:19 AM

First time I changed the filter and screwed the lid back down I was also concerned about breaking it. After snugging it down, I kept an eye on it for a couple of days to ensure it didn't leak. It didn't and I was a happy camper.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I snug it down hand tight. No leaks.

Don't forget to lube the o-ring seal!

MikeyB
Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 PM

What size socket do I need to buy to change out the filter. I should be getting my filters in the mail in a couple of days. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:13 PM

1-1/8". Before you buy, you might want to try an oil filter strap wrench first if you've got one. You can test it before the filters come in.

FWIW, I bought the socket first myself.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:34 PM

Thanks bulabula,

But I forgot to say FUEL filter. Is that 1 1/8 also? Do I need a 6 point socket as rangerst mentioned a few posts above? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:50 PM

Ram, yeah, 1-1/8 socket 6-pt for the fuel filter.

About the strap, I was thinking out loud that it may be possible to use an oil filter strap around the perimeter of the fuel filter lid in a pinch; but it is a little tight down there with big hands.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by bulabula
Don't make this too hard. I haven't really ever thought about it, but hand tight/snug? has worked great here for the last year and a half.
As stated above don't make this too hard. Let's review one final time.

Fuel filter lid torque is 25 foot pounds. Source: Imprinted on the lid.

If you are out on the road and no torque wrench is available use the tighten by hand until snug method. Check with a torque wrench when you get home.

Socket size is 1 1/8". Source: Previous and above posts as well as my personal hands on experience.

If in a pinch and socket not available you could use a crescent wrench, channel locks or a strap wrench. Be extra careful as to not crack the lid when using anything but the socket.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my jiffy lube guy changed mine, and greased the heck out of the threads and o-ring.

FWIW, he also said never to change the O-ring, just grease and use the old one.

i had him do it because I did not want to pour diesel fuel all over, a bud with a Dummy-max poured it all over grass, and killed a huge spot

ours is user friendly, not like the D-max, but it was on TIGHT from the factory. he's a good sized boy, and had a heck of a time with it.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Chapter President

04 ctd: Replace the O ring. A new one comes with the new filter. Over time that O ring will wear out and stretch resulting in a leak. As for "greasing" the ring & threads, you only need to wipe the threads down and rub a little diesel on the O ring (also the threads if you like, helps with smooth re-install). Hopefully your Jiffy Lube guy didn't use some grease that may get into the filter element itself and clog it up . But on the bright side, he would have to of used alot of grease to really dork up a new filter.

Quick Reply: fuel filter cap - how tight?