3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front end is trash

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other day I noticed the steering wheel was really jerky when turning in either direction. I then decided to jack up the beast and found that the left axle u-joint was binding up. 34k on the truck and already have to replace a universal! The truck gets used mostly for driving to northern Michigan on fishing trips. I've got the new universals and I made sure that they have zerks. I keep hearing story after story of the universals failing on Ram trucks. Is it worth my time to file a complaint with Chrysler?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
My balljoints were shot at 500 miles!!!!
Same here!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Just turned over 20,000 miles in my truck this past weekend, and even with my aftermarket suspension my front end is tight as the day I bought, with no hint of steering wander, death wobble, or anything.

Wait tell you hit 30k Pauly haha
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM

Up to 22k now and still going strong. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.....
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM

30k it will be tighter than ever. i think some of these guys with front end part going out so soon are blowing smoke or abusing the truck. i know guys with 200K plus on their dodges and all they do it regular maintenance.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Funny, I was just thinking about this when I ran across this thread.

I hear about how much stronger SFA is all the time, but does anyone have any experience with Chevy's IFS? Do they have early front end problems also?

What about Ford's - how does their front end hold up?

I like the Cummins out of all 3, but front end repairs can add up to big $$$.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
Funny, I was just thinking about this when I ran across this thread.

I hear about how much stronger SFA is all the time, but does anyone have any experience with Chevy's IFS? Do they have early front end problems also?

What about Ford's - how does their front end hold up?

I like the Cummins out of all 3, but front end repairs can add up to big $$$.

I've seen a few videos of the Chevy IFS grenading, and my brother's Excursion with solid front axle had horrible death wobble with low miles. All three have their issues.....
Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 PM

I've seen a few videos of the Chevy IFS grenading, and my brother's Excursion with solid front axle had horrible death wobble with low miles. All three have their issues.....
agreed go read any other site, some guys are very never ever happy with what the big 3 give them. they think these truck should be able to climb a darn mountain and then drive down the road flawlessely for the next 200k miles. i was just under my truck changing the oil and my front end is tighter than ever with 13k miles.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Problem is there seem to be a lot of Dodge guys that claim bad ball joints early on with no off roading or abuse. Maybe it is the weight of the cummins?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:33 PM

I had used '05 2500 4X4 CTD inspected at an independent diesel mechanic with about 63k on it and the ball joints allowed at least 3/8" of vertical play and for a few other reasons I elected to just go new but the mechanic told me they see ball joints going bad by 60k on "these trucks" (he didn't clarify which "these" he was talking about).
The owner was surprised saying that it was driving just fine. I will just start saving my pocket change towards that day - this truck just plain ROCKS and I will endure the maintenance.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Up to 22k now and still going strong. Hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.....
47k on mine, 7k with a lift/35s, still tight as when I bought it(at 32k miles)

<-knocking on wood!

I will however, try to put some money aside for Ujoints(and possibly hubs) as the miles get further up there....
Old 07-26-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stacked97

<-knocking on wood!

I will however, try to put some money aside for Ujoints(and possibly hubs) as the miles get further up there....

Im in the same boat as you. 85,xxx miles 4" lift on 35's and everything is tight. So far so good.

I keep hearing about these hubs failing, how do you tell when they are going out/gone?

Say someone needed to replace their ujoints and ball joints. What a rough estimate be? $700-800 bucks?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacked97

<-knocking on wood!

quick threadjack........Stacked...why did you take off your Front End replacement??

Ok...back to your regularly scheduled thread now....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
quick threadjack........Stacked...why did you take off your Front End replacement??

Ok...back to your regularly scheduled thread now....
LOL, I just kind of got sick of the look, started to look like too much stuff on the truck, to me. Im sure ill put it back on someday, maybe modified some. I got this bumper on a great deal from a friend, but it wasnt my first choice, so ill either modify this one closer to how I like it, or sell it and get what I really want

That and I cant leave anything alone, I always change stuff up and swap things out, I get bored easily.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

At about 10000 kms I started getting a chirp in the front end when turning the wheel all the way ... turns out it was dry upper ball joints ... the mech. just tapped in zerks on top of each and greased them up ... seemed to work fine. He gave me the new free replacements for my tool box for later ... we'll see how long they last now I guess. Now at 31000 kms and no probs.

Quick Reply: Front end is trash