3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Foglight question

Old 02-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foglight question

I haven't posted here much since I bought my truck because I have no problems with it, I think it's a great truck. I don't really want to add any parts to jazz it up--well plain running boards might be nice to make it easier to get in . The only small issue I have is with the headlights, they are not very bright and I think I might get some foglights (the kind from dodge-- mopar I think-- because I won't be putting them in myself). Are the foglights helpful?

My husband just bought a new car with foglights and he thinks they are wonderful and suggested that he might just get me a set of foglights for my trucK on my birthday (romantic huh). With all the fog we have had lately I think I'll just get some installed myself if they are worth the extra cost. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Chapter President

I have heard they make a marked improvement. Espesially since you will be using them for their intended use.

One note, if you or your husband are at all handy, the mopar factory fog lamps are easy to install. My understanding is that all the wiring is already in place, all you have to do is bolt down, plug in and your set.

I have looked into the kit from my local dealer and they want US180.00 for everything. I think you can even do better than that though.

Someone will chime in on the install advise.

Good luck,

Tom

P.S. If you want to see romantic, look in my gallery at what my wife bought me for my birthday
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

don't really know how much the factroy fog lights cost (they came standard on mine) but i think they are worth it. the headlights on our trucks suck so the foglights make them better. i replaced my headlight bulbs and foglight bulbs with redline bulbs and they are much better now.

i also added a lightbar with 4 PIAA 520 lights Light Bar Click Here that helps more than anything.

britt

Old 02-10-2005, 04:36 AM

I, too, believe the wiring is there. You will get a new headlight switch with your foglights so you don't have to rig up a switch. I have gone to Silverstars in my headlights and foglights. They both make a big difference, especially the foglights. The part numbers are 9006 and 9007.......
Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 AM

Here's a good mod another member here suggested I try, did and love it. Our current fog lights are 9006, If you go and buy Silverstar 9005's and grind the lil tabs down inside the bulbs they will fit. They are brighter because they do not have the black coating on the end. The suggestion came from triplenickle.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...id=50018&stc=1

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...id=50019&stc=1
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM

If you order the mopar kit and want a factory looking switch, then go ahead and order the OE switch at about 40.00. The kit that I got had a rocker switch with it. I liked the look of the OE switch better. Just my opinion
Old 02-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the all the advice. I had the foglights installed today--sorry to say we are not very handy and is is cold and snowy outside and we have no heated garage to work in, no time etc...--the dealer installed the lights. It was 355.00 (Cdn) 'out the door' taxes included. We have the mopar switch and lights. I wish I had the lights installed sooner.

Tom I could not figure out what it was your wife bought you for your birthday, I looked at you picture gallery. I hope it wasn't the fuel filter!

I haven't told my husband I foiled his birthday present idea yet, I'm not sure he'll notice the foglights as he hardly drives the truck. I'll work on the running boards next, kind of like the plain black tubular ones as I'm not really into chrome.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Chapter President

Sounds like you got a good deal.

"New Toy" that's what she got me, boy do I love her (My wife that is)
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM

I highly recommend upgrading to the 9005 bulbs, its a piece a pie to file the small plastic area off the bulbs to make them work, I did it at my kitchen table with a medium file in 4 minutes per bulb. The (factory) Hella brand foglights have a very good fog low and side brightness that really don't annoy oncomming traffic with the 9005 bulb upgrade. I changed all my 2 headlight bulbs to the Sylvania Silverstars when I did the fogs and this gives about a 5 to 10% increase in brightness.

Good Success!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 PM

I have put the Silverstars 9005's in the fog and Silverstar 9007's in the headlights. Combine this with the Fogzilla Bright- Box combo and you really have something. These new Bright Boxes also increase the voltage @ the light. Mine were @ 11.7 volts before the Bright-box and now they are @ system voltage.
These Bright -boxes will not work on a Canadian truck if the drls are working.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by javabeanjava
Thanks for the all the advice. I had the foglights installed today...
... I'm not sure he'll notice the foglights as he hardly drives the truck.
Pardon me? What's he waiting on.... the weather to warm up?
Nat
Old 02-11-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by natstayl
Pardon me? What's he waiting on.... the weather to warm up?
Nat

He has a car to drive, the truck is mine, he claims he never really wanted a truck. He seems to find it handy when he needs to get house renovation stuff like lumber and haul a load of gravel etc...
Old 02-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never drive at night without the factory fog lights on. They help considerably. I am considering upgrading to brighter fog lights. But they definitely improve lighting on the road.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by javabeanjava

He has a car to drive, the truck is mine, he claimes he never really wanted a truck. He seems to find it handy when he needs to get house renovation stuff like lumbar and haul a load of gravel etc...
His loss then I'd say.
Originally posted by RamWheelsBy4
I never drive at night without the factory fog lights on. They help considerably. I am considering upgrading to brighter fog lights. But they definitely improve lighting on the road.
Yeah fog'rs are worth the extra money factory or not. Silverstars capsules in my future too for them I suspect. I think the problem with the headlights being dim is more to do with them being so high off the roadway. I can see fine with them on narrow roads without issue but on multi lanes or wide shoulders it's like they're aimed to infinity instead of the road.
Nat
Old 02-11-2005, 05:37 PM

I had a two wheel drive 1500 loaner when mine was in the body shop, those lights sucked just as bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Foglight question