3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dual Purpose leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Purpose leaf springs?

Who all is using the Dual Purpose leaf springs?

Are they much better than the stock springs and or mini-packs.

I have done a search here and on other forums, and only a few people appear to be using them. Just want to make sure they are worthwhile.

Anybody in Iowa/Central Iowa that are using them?

Thanks.

Bob
Cumming, Iowa
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM

I probably should have spent the extra few hundred and got them instead of the leaf packs... Although the leaf packs help a lot... I've heard the dual purpose help much more.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

full leafs are really different then stock much more control
Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM

What are dual purpose leaf springs?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned

I've got the Lorenz dual purpose leafs, and love 'em! They even made a greater difference in ride quality than the IR coils in the front.

They ride great, take the jar out of bumps, and do pretty decent at carrying a load. I could tell a big difference before I even made it out of the driveway...it's that big of an improvement!

However, I have 3 tool boxes in the bed of my truck, laden with chains, binders, come-a-long, tools, etc. With around 1,000 pounds of extra weight in the bed, the front end is slightly higher than the rear. When loading the bed up with another 1,500 lbs of firewood, and hooking to the bumper-pull trailer, the rear sags pretty good, even with the extra stops engaged.

The dual purpose leafs offer an incredible ride, but if you haul/tow heavy, a good set of long-travel air bags is probably the right way to go.

It's hard to describe the difference, but here's some pictures comparing stock vs. dual purpose springs. Note I have a 3500 SRW, so the stock springs include the overload pack.

Before:

After:

--Eric
Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Eric, Great looking Truck!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Eric,
Thanks for the response. Too bad Tennessee isn't closer to Iowa.
I only tow my Jeep maybe 4 or 5 times a year, so I'm looking for a better spring pack for DD duties. I can buy airbags if I need the extra support for towing.

Thanks.

Bob
Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 AM

Lorenz now has a newer style of DP leaf out. This is them sitting in my garage.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM

B-Rock,
Put those babies on your truck and give me a "first impression". I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure it is a definite improvement. I only tow 5 or 6 times a year, so I want a better DD ride.

Thanks for the post/w pics.

Later,

Bob Rees
Cumming, Iowa
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 AM

ohhh they'r on! and yes there is a big improvment. now the front feels harsh in comparison, while going over speed humps at say 30 35 mph.

I added air bag's at the same time as well. I figured as long as I was under there I would go ahead and do it. I honestly dont have any plans to haul anything in my truck soon.

I dont feel much change in the ride with the slower or smaller bumps, but its the larger ones that it makes the biggest difference.

Id say go for it, Just make sure you have someone to help ya, Its NOT an easy job by yourself... ask me how I know.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 AM

B-rock,

My concern is on my normal commute the blacktop road has some seams in it where it might be 1 to 2 inch higher than the surrounding blacktop. Everytime I go over those it "jolts" the truck. I'm trying to improve that.
I already have the Lorenz "minipacks", but it made it worse than stock, at least in that area.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bob
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 AM

I have the lorenz bilstein kit, the truck seemed equaly stiff front and rear, Now the front is definatly more stiff then the rear, yet the rear is stiff enought not to get a squishy feeling either.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 AM

Nice. At the risk of getting off topic, I'de like to share what I did on the front end of my truck. I had a 96 for 11 years and every time I drove over the Trans-Labrador highwy, which includes 500 miles of dirt road, the front end jarred terribly on the bumps and potholes. Then I got my 07 and it was exactlly the same.
My son took over the 96 and put a heavy snow-plow on it and also a set of Timbrens to help carry the plow. Last fall I accompanied him over the highway (no plow) and was amazed at the difference the timbrens made to that truck. So I put a set on the front end of the 07 and can't believe the difference it has made to it. You can't forget that you are on a dirt road, but when you hit a hole a bit faster than you would have liked to, you don't get that bone-jarring, bottoming-out bang. And going down the highway (paved) you don't notice any difference from stock.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by way up north
Nice. At the risk of getting off topic, I'de like to share what I did on the front end of my truck. I had a 96 for 11 years and every time I drove over the Trans-Labrador highwy, which includes 500 miles of dirt road, the front end jarred terribly on the bumps and potholes. Then I got my 07 and it was exactlly the same.
My son took over the 96 and put a heavy snow-plow on it and also a set of Timbrens to help carry the plow. Last fall I accompanied him over the highway (no plow) and was amazed at the difference the timbrens made to that truck. So I put a set on the front end of the 07 and can't believe the difference it has made to it. You can't forget that you are on a dirt road, but when you hit a hole a bit faster than you would have liked to, you don't get that bone-jarring, bottoming-out bang. And going down the highway (paved) you don't notice any difference from stock.

Was that wth a stock height truck? If so then thats because you are actualy bottoming the trucks front suspension out. with a leveling kit, like I have there is now more room for the suspension to travel before bottoming out. All I see the timberans do is limit the already limited amount of travel.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 AM

Since I already have the "Lorenz 5100 system w/mini packs", I think I will try different rear shocks before I spend more money chasing a dream. I still have the stock rear shocks, so it will only cost me time.

I just wish somebody in Iowa had the DP springs so "I could get a hands-on impression" before spending money needlessly.

Keep the posts/opinions coming.

Quick Reply: Dual Purpose leaf springs?