3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Do I want This - H46 Recall Steering Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
Who cares if you "qualify" for a freeby? Get the better linkage and be done with it. Or, you could learn to enjoy the "death wobble". Just do it and be done with it.
Yeh good comment! i did not spend 50k to work out their problems on my dime, if it is a know'n problem and they don't fix it i am sure the lawyers would like that!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM

Yeah last time those darn guys did that stupid reverse honk recall on mine that drives me nuts!!!! I called them today and they said they inspected several and none needed fixed yet.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:18 PM

I got the recall notice today. My truck has never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it new.It's a long drive to the dealer I bought it from & I wont let the local dealer 20 miles away touch it ( bad blood from previous truck). So do I make the long drive for a quick look underneath or is my truck not effected since it's never been back to the dealer for any mods to the steering?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when i went in for my check (H46 recall) they said if you have 15mm bolts that hold the dampener to the linkage and not 13mm than its was ok. they didn't seem to think mine qualified for the failing linkage between pitman arm and tie rod ends...
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mine just developed DW. You don't want to join the club. I've got a mild 2.5" lift so the dealer is going to pin it on the lift. I just ordered the parts and they're going on next week. 17,390 miles,rarely offroaded and Toyo 285's.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Mine just developed DW. You don't want to join the club. I've got a mild 2.5" lift so the dealer is going to pin it on the lift. I just ordered the parts and they're going on next week. 17,390 miles,rarely offroaded and Toyo 285's.
Very rare with Toyos....
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
Very rare with Toyos....
How so? I've heard of DW with all kinds of tires. Seems to more prevalent with big tires and lifts. Mine has neither and still has wobbled its way to infamy. If you've got proof that Toyo's can someone overcome the bad front end design then I"m in for a new set of rubber!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mtn,

Toyos don't 'fix" the front end design, but they are exceptionally round and easy to balance. So they dont initiate the wobble as much as BFGs seem to. But tires are just one factor in the game.

The fix, or improvement, is to get the '08 linkage and maybe increase the caster to the max with the excentrics on the control arms. Also, re-bush or replace the track bar. Have a good stabalizer, limited steering gear play and keep the tires balanced.

Bumps can also initiate the problem and that is not the tires fault.

The new linkage is, probably, the biggest help after balancing. It doesn't have a joint in the tie rod between the two front wheels and it's way stronger. What were they thinking?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:46 PM

I had the h46 done yesterday as my truck was one of the rare vehicles with the faulty parts.

I had to remove the pcs steering brace, as the dealer put a new pitman arm, steering linkage, and new bolts in the dampner.

The truck was improved a little bit after they first replaced all the steering linkage. I added the steering brace about 2 weeks later, and could not be happier with the improvements from steering wander (even with my 315 tires). I was a little worried about taking the steering brace off and having this h46 performed as I really didn't want anyone messing with my current setup. It should all work the same, so I'll report back if anything has changed.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
Mtn,

Toyos don't 'fix" the front end design, but they are exceptionally round and easy to balance. So they dont initiate the wobble as much as BFGs seem to. But tires are just one factor in the game.

The fix, or improvement, is to get the '08 linkage and maybe increase the caster to the max with the excentrics on the control arms. Also, re-bush or replace the track bar. Have a good stabalizer, limited steering gear play and keep the tires balanced.

Bumps can also initiate the problem and that is not the tires fault.

The new linkage is, probably, the biggest help after balancing. It doesn't have a joint in the tie rod between the two front wheels and it's way stronger. What were they thinking?

Thanks John. Understand about the tires, was just curious about the statement that Toyo's would 'fix' the DW. Done most all you suggested- several times. Seems that my truck is one of the 'special' ones. However since the DW is really the only thing, knock on wood, that has gone seriously wrong - I'm good with it. My palms do start to sweat a bit on rough roads at higher speeds (over 60mph). Since I've survived the DW twice on mountain roads in such situations. Didn't think I was gonna survive the first time......
Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
I got the recall notice today. My truck has never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it new.It's a long drive to the dealer I bought it from & I wont let the local dealer 20 miles away touch it ( bad blood from previous truck). So do I make the long drive for a quick look underneath or is my truck not effected since it's never been back to the dealer for any mods to the steering?
You wont be effected this is if you had replacement work done with a batch of bad parts that came out in 08 or if your 08 rolled off the line with the parts
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the reply booman70. Thats what I kind of thought. A friend of mine that has the same year dually as mine thats comming over today for a barbeque said he took his in & they said all is good.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM

The recall notice is a little confusing I read it twice and I was following threads on here about it. But basically they changed the front end design late 07 early 08 and did some repairs with the same parts around the same time so the older trucks dont need it unless you had repairs done around that time with the faulty parts.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It turns out the new design is so much better that it is a great retro for all older trucks, regardless of whether you got a bad earlier part or not.

If I remember correctly, the reason Dodge came out with the upgraded design was to fix the "death wobble" problem. Then the first batch of linkages had a defect.

So there are three linkages: The linkage from '03 to '08 with the joint in the middle and small diameter. The '08 upgrade linkage that was defective. And the fixed '08 style linkage that replaces the defective parts. With a new pitman arm and damper, the newest setup fits the earlier ('03 to '08 trucks) and makes them steer better with less chance of wobble. All retrofits to the earlier trucks are done at the owners cost and discretion but, in my opinion, are very important. When you see how massive the new setup is, and how it has no joint between the wheels, you just get it.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

There is no doubt to anyone who looks at the two setups the newer one is better but people were asking if this recall applied to them and for most owners it doesnt. I dont currently have any front end problems when I do I will go for the newer setup.

Quick Reply: Do I want This - H46 Recall Steering Linkage