3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Did the drivers seat mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there really isn't any hints to it, just take off the cover for the power adjustments, take off the reclining handle, reach underneath seat, 2 clips on 1 side, 2 clips on the other side, and then the middle clip that once you pull on it kinda hard you can see how its clipped to the seat frame and then unclip it. lift off seat cover and add foam, then go in reverse order lol. then go to passenger side and repeat
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Just finished...seems like a sweet mod. I went with the 1" foam and I think it was a good choice, but time will tell.

I don't know how people can do this with the seat on. I UNDERSTAND how it would be done, but it seemed difficult. I took the seat off the track and left the mounting plate attached to the floor.

On the drivers side, if you take the seat off, here's how to get the connectors undone. It takes very little force when done correctly. slide the red tab back (out) so that it only touches one part of the connector. then (I used a small flathead sd) push the tab down and pull gently. If it doesn't come apart, you pushed up, so simply try pushing the other way - down

I found, IMHO, that taking the seat off enables you to do a much cleaner job. it's a 13mm socket and getting the seat out takes 10 minutes max. it's also a good time to vacuum out all the crud that's accumulated down there.

Last note, make sure that you get the foam all the way back to where the lumbar support is, that's where it makes the most difference. If you do not slide the foam all they way back, really jam it back there (smoothly) you will feel where it stops.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM

i just did mine the other day and i put 2" thick foam in. i'm gonna pull it back apart and put 1" in, 2" is just too much. you don't have any side support w/ it. but other than that i'm thrilled, i don't feel the seat frame anymore.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 PM

driver sear mod.

I did mind on Saturday put 1 1/2 "in the front 2 seats. It went so quick and easy just take the front 2 seat bolts lose, unhook the tab under the seat and your done. Then I PUT 1" in the back seat it made a big different in the back seats also. They take alittle longer to do but worth it if you have people ride back there every now and then.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 AM

I did mine yesterday. The reason I did it is because the cushion was being cut by the wire grid resulting in a lean to the right condition. I attempted to remove the cover with the seat in the truck. Don't waste your time. It will take as long to fight it as it does to remove the seat. After removing the seat and the cover I found the right side of the cushion had been cut through about ten inches long as well as the wire grids cutting through from the bottom. The seat frame cuts the cushion like a sharp knife. I used a piece of scrap carpet 17" X 20" to sandwich between the wire grid and the cushion bottom. I filled in where the cushion had been cut on the side with some 1" foam rubber. The seat cushions in these trucks are junk. I am 5" 11" and weigh 210. I would hate to see what would happen to these cushions If I weighed 300 - 400 pounds. I do suspect it was damaged the last time I had it in for the blend door fix. This is when it started. The tech probably was on his knees in the seat when removing the cup holders. I would still think the cushion should be able to hold up better than it does. It is like the foam is too dry with not enough elasticity. Unfortunately I will probably have to replace the cushion. Hopefully it will last more than 70k miles.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine this weekend and had to do major repair to the cushion from tears along the right leg. Everythign went great the seat is nice and comfortable, but all they had was 3" foam So I just used that. It works! But I will be taking it apart and cutting the foam down. I sit way too high! I'll cut it in half as best I can and be around 1.5"...

I haven't seen it here but FYI, for foam tears Spray adhesive and burlap work wonders for reforming and holding the original padding together!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Oh, one other question for all you guys that took the seat out like I did... Did you headlights keep coming on and stay on until you put your seat back in? Any idea what that's about?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Are you kidding me?

Easy, effective, and CHEAP!

I love it when something so simple makes life so much better.

Thanks, guys!

PS
Left the seats in place, went in from the top. No issues.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Cut the foam down and reshaped it with an electric carving knife... Worked great! Shaved it down to about 1/2" on the top padding and 1" in the under padding. This time I just left the seat in place and undid the upulstery... I'd have to say it was very easy. the hardest part was getting the cover down the side next to the console.

Either way you decide to do this, I'll agree with the above statement:
Easy, effective, and CHEAP!

I love it when something so simple makes life so much better.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 PM

I need to fix my seat. Getting in and out has made the left side of my seat sag. And the padding has gotten worn out under my butt. Looks like I will be doing this soon.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

I will be doing this mod very soon, as in today. I am only 165 lbs and my legs are already being jammed by the bars on the side of the seat. I hope the pad fixes this.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Seats are very easy to remove,two connectors ,the large one has a lock pin and four 13 mm nuts.Anyone ever price out a new seat foam?The trick is to find a good piece of foam that does not loose its ability to return to its original shape after being sat on for a short period of time and that gives you the support you need.An automotive upoltry shop perhaps,but the one I went too had worse foam than Dodge!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM

I paid approximately $90.00 for the lower seat cushion.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Did the mod with a 1" foam pad and a carpet to protect from the springs. It made a pretty amazing difference.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 AM

big-c

did the seat mod used 1/8 sheet plastic on the springs and a 1 1/2 inch foam pad that is used under sleeping bags with seats out this seemed to be the simple way---what a difference ..good info thanks all

Quick Reply: Did the drivers seat mod