3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cracking of vinyl on leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracking of vinyl on leather seats?

Has anyone with leather seats had a problem with sides of the seats showing cracks after a few years?<br>Thinking about getting the leather option, but not sure about the durability.<br>Thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 06:14 PM

Re:Cracking of vinyl on leather seats?

My corvette has cracks...also cold in the winter and hot in the summer...I ordered the prem. cloth, leather just doesn't do much for me.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:07 AM

I had leather seat option on a '97 3500 and my current '00 3500 with no problems at all. Love 'em... the only way to fly!! The '03 I have on order is a Laramie with the leather. <br><br>I use the Lexol products from Geno's on them about every 3 months and still look and smell like new. <br><br>Peddle more iron to pay for the toyz!! <br>
Old 03-06-2003, 07:24 AM

I've got an 85 Nissan with leather seats that haven't cracked. You have to put conditioner on the seats when you clean them. It doesn't matter that much what you use if you condition the leather regularly.<br><br>Jean
Old 03-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Muted User

I ordered my '96 Ram 2500 from the factory with vinyl interior, because I didn't want to spend the money on &quot;leather seating surfaces&quot; as the sides and backside of most vehicles with leather seats are vinyl anyway. Besides, at that time Dodge was specifying vinyl that was thicker than that used by either Ford or Chevy. I have had my truck for 7 years and there isn't a crack anywhere. I think using running boards to get in and out helps protect the vinyl from cracking on the side of the seats, but I wouldn't be surprised if DC is using thinner vinyl in the new trucks to save money just like they stopped installing rear wheel fender liners as standard equipment. On previous trucks ('76 Ford and '89 Chevy), the vinyl on the side of the seats started cracking after about 4 years perhaps because I didn't have running boards. If one is considerably overweight that will cause any seating surface to breakdown prematurely.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Banned

I thought your truck was an ordered unit? Gettin the dealer to swap out the cloth for the leather or what?<br><br>https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=11881
Old 03-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Max

I had ordered the Ram with the premium cloth seats. One of the reasons my wife liked the avalanche was the heated and power seats. 8)<br>So, I'm thinking if I could get the dealer to trade this one with another that has a short bed and Larami package (yes, it will be another $2K more for the seats), then I could convince the wife the dodge would be the way to go. ;D She's kind of intimiated driving the Ram with the long bed. I'd heard from the Chevy discussion groups that they had problems with their seat sides cracking after just 3 years of use. So, just checking to see if it's a common problem with all makes. ???
Old 03-07-2003, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for a small tear on the driver's seat, the vinyl upholstery in my 128,000 mile '68 Mercury Cougar is perfect <br><br>I don't like the feel of sitting on vinyl though, leather is much more comfortable. I had it on my '98 and it held up great, so I ordered it on the '03. I didn't go Laramie though, I don't care for the Suede inserts.<br><br>Vaughn