3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

cold weather High Idle -removable?? DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should always use the manuel high idle if you idle for a prolonged time(prevent cylinder wash)........you need to learn to put up with the noise, or turn it off. Also, the tranny does not circulate fluid to the TC in the auto when it is in P.......unless you have had the tranny modded.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the opposite question, what if your 2006 doesn't go to High Idle. I sat on the off ramp about ten minutes the other night when I picked up my wifes new truck ( waiting for her to follow me), and it never kicked in. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by isu elvi
How about the opposite question, what if your 2006 doesn't go to High Idle. I sat on the off ramp about ten minutes the other night when I picked up my wifes new truck ( waiting for her to follow me), and it never kicked in. What am I doing wrong?
It depends on both ambient and engine temp to go into automatic fast idle.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What were the temps? Air and coolant?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by isu elvi View Post

Probably nothing. However,if you are going to leave it at idle for a prolonged period, you should set the high idle to 1500 RPM and place an unmodded tranny into N. This will prevent cylinder wash and allow the tranny to circulate fluid.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Do I have a DRBIII in 2004.5 Like the idea of DRL and would do that to mine if I can or is there another way I can make mine DRL's
Yes the DRBIII will work.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
What were the temps? Air and coolant?
Probably about 65-70 ambient, 190 engine.

Originally Posted by annabelle
Originally Posted by isu elvi View Post

Probably nothing. However,if you are going to leave it at idle for a prolonged period, you should set the high idle to 1500 RPM and place an unmodded tranny into N. This will prevent cylinder wash and allow the tranny to circulate fluid.
Thats what I am trying to figure out, how do I get it to high idle. I tried the set the cruise like a Peterbilt ( didn't think it would actually work, but thought I would try). Pretty sure that the neighbors kicks in on its own, its an 07 but has a 5.9. Always just leave the Adrenaline on the 99 on 0 when letting it idle and it kicks in. Just got the truck and there wasn't an owners manual in the glove box, so I can't look in there either.

Just curious, thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:20 PM

i didnt see anything in my manual reguarding idle or high idle.

How do I enable it? I have a smarty sj67me but it still doesnt work. I have the 6.7L Auto
Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably about 65-70 ambient, 190 engine.
There you go.. ambient needs to be 32 or lower, and engine 180 or colder.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM

i figured mine out.
turn the cruise control ON
then hit set on the cruise and it will idle up.
once you hit the brake it will drop the rpms down

is this good to be running this when its cold?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel
i figured mine out.
turn the cruise control ON
then hit set on the cruise and it will idle up.
once you hit the brake it will drop the rpms down

is this good to be running this when its cold?
High idle is a good idea any time you have to leave it idle for extended periods of time. Keeps the oil pressure up as well as combustion temps to avoid cylinder wash down from unburned fuel. The newest soot reduction Flashes for the ECM now include an idle feature that if the engine is left idling for over 5 minutes, it will kick up to 900 RPM to reduce the soot load to the DPF.

Also once you set the high idle, if you hit Accel on the cruise it will increase the engine idle speed up to 1800 in increments of 100 rpm. In cold weather conditions with the EB on, you can use this high idle instead of the default cold weather high idle to maintain high idle as the default will kick down after it feels the engine is warm. Also when the engine reaches temperature on manual high idle with the EB engaged it will cycle off the EB to keep the engine from getting too hot, or if you raise the idle above 1300 Rpm.

HTH..
Old 04-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has not been cold enough here in North Iowa to get the factory high idle to kick. Mine will not kick in until the air temp is around 25 degrees.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
It has not been cold enough here in North Iowa to get the factory high idle to kick. Mine will not kick in until the air temp is around 25 degrees.
Thought that might be so, but I specifically remember a customers truck sitting in the parking lot a few weeks ago, it was probably in the 30s out, and it kicked to high idle, and he had driven here from about 15 miles away or so, so the engine had to be warmed up. That was on an 07, 5.9.

As to the other post, in regards to using the cruise on, set, and increase to high idle, that only works on the 07.5 and up, correct? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

To be quite honest, other than driving the 06 Home on monday, my wife hasn't let me drive it since, so I havn't been able to check things out.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

No......manual high idle works on my 04.......up to 1500 RPM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
No......manual high idle works on my 04.......up to 1500 RPM.
Guess I will have to give it whirl when I take it to Church in the morning, I will post back.

Quick Reply: cold weather High Idle -removable?? DRL?