3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

clicking sound LF wheel/ hub? anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clicking sound LF wheel/ hub? anyone else?

My 04.5 4wd truck has a "clicking" sound when I am turning right coming from the left front wheel or hub. Lightly riding the brakes makes no difference. I took it to the dealer (it's got 1700mi) and they could not find anything and ended up putting grease on the wheel covers where they clip on to the steel wheel and sent me on my merry way. Still doing it, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard this sound (it's a light clicking sound, only when turning right) I thought they were on the right track as it is a high enough of a pitch that it could be a "plasticy" sound. does not sound like a wheel bearing, nothing can be felt through the truck/ steering wheel...it's only audible....any body have any ideas ? The dealer said they can replace the hub ***'y but I'm skeptical that is the problem
Old 07-21-2004, 11:26 PM

Not sure what wheels you have, but if you have the standard stockers you could try taking off the center cap then drive it and see if it still makes noise... that would at least eliminate that from the equation. Other than that, I would guess it could be something in the hub...

Is the sound consistent (rythmic) or does it click randomly? Also, does it increase/decrease with the corresponding speed that you are driving at (i.e. faster clicking at faster speeds, slower clicking at slower speeds)?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:40 AM

Mine does it also. It does sound to me like it is coming from the plastic center cap somehow.. Just heard it today for the first time, but I will keep an eye on it.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:50 AM

I'll try running without the center cap and wheel cover, thanks for the advice. The sound is definately rythmic and does seem to correspond to speed. Is it possible that the stock wheel is flexing?
I've considered the hub, as the dealer said but am still a bit sceptical just because of the pitch of the sound and don't feel it in the truck.
Thanks both of you.
Coolslice, how many miles do you have on your truck? mine is still under 2K Please let me know if you find anything out on yours as well......
Old 07-22-2004, 10:19 AM

Because its when your turning right and loading the left bearing I would think its possibly just that, the hub bearing. Does it do it from the left wheel when turning left? If not then I would take a serious look at it. JMO
Old 07-22-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the advice Buzzer. The sound only seems to come from the left wheel, only when turning right. Have not had time to drive with the wheel and center cover removed but will check it out either tomorrow or saturday to see if it exists without the cover or not, then take it to the dealer if it persists without cover. The first time that I took it in they had a hard time hearing it as the sound is not very loud.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by fltfndr
Coolslice, how many miles do you have on your truck? mine is still under 2K Please let me know if you find anything out on yours as well...... [/B]
I have about 3700 miles. By chance last night right before I read your post was the first time I noticed the noise. I just ordered new wheels and tires, so if I still hear it after putting them on...then we have a problem. I will keep you posted, my wheels won't be here for a few days.

I still think it sounded like the center cap, but I don't understand how a center cap is capable of making such a noise. My second guess would be the hub.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:35 PM

I had been thinking of some wheels myself just for looks but today I looked at the Alcoa website and didn't find any 17" wheels for a dualie..hate to buy tires too...

Let me know if you learn any more about the noise. I won't have a chance to drive my truck again until the weekend but will try without the wheel cover/ center cap just to see what happens. Hope that takes care of it. thanks again

I'm also hoping my mileage gets better after the trip in a couple weeks towing my jeep
Old 07-22-2004, 11:55 PM

My 2nd gen is making the same kind of noises. I just replaced the u-joints. seals and bearing assemblies, and rotors in the front and it still does it.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM

it's kind of a weird sound, I've heard plenty of bearing / ujoint types of sounds in the past and this sound is more "clicky" sounding than anything I've heard in the past. I've got an old jeep that makes a vaguely similar sound (well, it's a stretch really) that is one of the brake pads sort of rattling around in the caliper a little. Only thing is that sound always quits when you ride the brake a little. The sound on this truck does not change at all when you apply brake pressure.

SuperSonic: have you got any other ideas after all you've done?

The dealer said they'd probably try replacing the hub ***'y. I've spun the tire and can say that there is ZERO bearing noise or play of any kind. Real tight and quiet.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:22 AM

CLICK CLICK CLICK. Does it increase and decrease with speed?

If so, it's probably your driver side axle U-joint ... This should be a RECALL considering the fact it's happened to many people on this website and coincidently this part is on national backorder???????

Lift up your driver's side wheel and then get under the truck and spin the front driveshaft with your hand and look/listen for the clicking.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:31 AM

Thumbs up

okay guys thanks for all the input, I figured out some a couple of things this morning and wanted to pass this along:

1) I checked the driveshaft (spun it) checked out the axle ujoint per suggestions given by Y'all (tight) all seems tight and fine, no noises, no play (I would think that if any of the hard parts have a problem I'd find it by doing checking everything as I've done over the last couple of weeks up to today)
2) Drove it around and could not hear the noise right off the bat...A key difference is that it's about 68 degrees this morning, the last few weeks when I've heard the sound either the outside temp was more like 85-97 degrees or after truck has been driven for quite a while
3) Drove it some more and as things got warmer it started doing it again (clicky noise when turning right)
4) Got out trusty BMF screwdriver and popped of the center cap and wheel cover (stock plastic-my trucks a dually) and drove it in circles some more- the SOUND was gone!

I think that the plastic parts and the stock steel wheel's thermal expansion is different enough that when warm/ hot the wheel cover and / or center cap make the clicky noise. This probably explains why the dealer put grease all over the clips on both pieces when I took it in the first time for this problem.
My guess is that they've seen this before but did not mention it...maybe they can get a warranty job out of replacing the hub etc from DC?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:51 AM

take another look at your hubcap ( the larger one) not the center cap...see if the retaining clips are busted....i have gone through 3 hubcaps now.....dealer replaced one, now about to replace 2 more due to busted caps... i hear the ticking at very low speeds, it is the tire bulge rubbing against the edge of the hubcap.

chris
Old 07-28-2004, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. My wheelcovers didn't end up having any broken clips but I am going to ask for replacements anyway due to the click/tick sound. The tire bulge makes sense since you have to "load" it by going around a corner on mine.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:13 PM

My truck is doing the same thing. It sounded like plastic crunching and went away the next day and the temp had dropped about 10 degrees. I'll try to remove my cap the next time I hear it to see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: clicking sound LF wheel/ hub? anyone else?