3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cleaning soot out of interior...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning soot out of interior...

Man this is irritating me. Every time I get in my truck my hands end up black from all the soot that meanders to the interior. The dash, door panels, center armrest, headliner, carpet, and the seats ALL have soot all over the place. At first glance it looks like its just dust but when I wipe it it smears and turns black.

The worst is the seats and carpet. I have chunks of soot land on them and cant seem to get it cleaned up. I have the YES Essentials seats, but they dont seem very stain resistant (baby formula and milk stains on rear seat dont come out very good.) Anybody have any suggestions??
Old 11-03-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but how do you get soot inside your truck?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 AM

Keep your windows rolled up and doors closed when you start it. Also, if you move the exhaust from a stack to the back end, it will halp out a bunch. Over time it is going to build up, just wipe it down once a week with some interior wipes. As far as the seats, Katzkin and Road wire both make some awesome leather kits. No more stains!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:21 AM

sounds bad to use but im a painter and i get paint and soot from my stack all over too, all i do is wipe it down with goof off and then put on leather conditioner but make sure you wipe off all the goof off with a wet rag. and it does the trick everytime
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin
Maybe a stupid question but how do you get soot inside your truck?
He is running stacks and when you start your truck small pieces of soot like to fly out of them.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Neight
He is running stacks and when you start your truck small pieces of soot like to fly out of them.
Obviously, but unless he has the windows and doors open, that still doesn't explain how it gets in. If a truck cab is weather proof then soot shouldn't be able to get in.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM

I never start the truck with windows down or doors open. I get in, shut the door, fire it up and let it run a bit before I get out specifically to keep soot out. I occasionally drive around with the window cracked open about halfway, but not very often.

A lot got in when my trans went out a couple weeks ago; truck hadnt been started in 2 or 3 weeks and I had to have the window down to load it on the trailer because it was REAL close to not fitting. I had soot on my neck, down my back, in my ears, hair, etc, all over inside, it was bad!! And these were chunks close to a quarter inch. I can stand the mess outside but inside not so much.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another one to add to my long list of reasons to not have stacks...

(Flame suit on and zipped up tight)
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM

sounds like you guys with stacks will all soon have lung cancer. that soot you speak of is bad stuff to breathe.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by supersonictoys
sounds like you guys with stacks will all soon have lung cancer. that soot you speak of is bad stuff to breathe.
Just like anyone who has a diesel tractor too.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

it also sucks when it rains and you start your truck and that black sludge runs all over your truck but its pretty cool too. man i love the smell of my soot mm mm good
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 AM

yea they should do away with public transportation and import export with huge ships,tankers and tractor trailers so we dont get lung cancer. i personaly have my rear sliding window open at all times with my turn out stack facing the cab and i drive around flooring it in reverse! lol!!! not realy though.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 AM
tcr

Sounds to me like it's some sort of exhaust leak under the truck and it's infiltrating into the a/c vents or something like this. Stacks are cool as helll but they just aren't very practical IMO.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
Sounds to me like it's some sort of exhaust leak under the truck and it's infiltrating into the a/c vents or something like this. Stacks are cool as helll but they just aren't very practical IMO.
Hmmmmmm....I never even thought about that. It does leak at my flexpipe, but thats at the rear of the cab. Guess it could still get in when its sitting warming up (I always start it and let it run a couple minutes before I drive it)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 PM

proper stack install and rain caps will solve the problem. It has on mine anyway.

Quick Reply: Cleaning soot out of interior...