3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Class A licence for towing a 10000lb plus trailer in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Class A licence for towing a 10000lb plus trailer in CA?

IM a firefighter for the US forest service and last holiday weekend some of my buddys went to glamis to b EMT's and pick up all the drunks out there. Well they came back and i was asking how things went and one of the things that they told me puzzled me. They said cops were pulling all the toy haulers over and and making them drop there trailers and weighing them and if they were over 10K they needed to have a class A or they got a fat ticket.

I just want to c if this is true? I tinkered around on the DMV sight but did not find anything im in the market for a toyhauler in the future and i realy dont want to have to take the class A test. I have a CLass B comercial licence with air brake and tank indorcements but i doubt that helps any with a trailer.

Thanks for any feedback
CHris
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Same thing here in Va. My trailer is grossed at 9990lb so I don't have to worry about it. "Usually" you won't get messed with unless your truck or trailer have commercial markings on them...
Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Chris,
They are correct. I sell Towmaster trailers and any trailers over 10K cap. based on the tire cap. reading (stamp) requires a class A. What the trailer companies (TowMaster) do.... They build the 12K cap. trailer off of the 12K frame. The trailers are then down graded from the tires capacity to make it become a 10K cap. trailer. This is to avoid getting a class A licene and other weight fee's and taxes that a larger capacity trailer goes through. I agree.... it's very sticky with the D.O.T.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Nevada requires a J endorsement for trailers over 10,000. They are starting to target toyhaulers, horse trailers etc.. There is another endorsement for motor homes with air brakes.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM

U need to check your state laws it varies state 2 state. In NY you can tow over 10k as long as the total gross isnt over certain weight I forget the # my dad cant tow his 14k equip trailer with his f550 he has to use the f250. I think ur buddys should check the law there
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Each state is specific to one another. In North Carolina, currently, you MUST have a class A CDL license to operate a combination of vehicles (i.e. truck & trailer) if the combined GVWR is >26,001 lbs. From what I've been told, the "combined GVWR" is the GVWR off both VIN plates, added together. This was changed about a year ago. Prior to this change, if you were towing a trailer where the trailer alone GVWR was >10,001 (reguardless of actual weight), you were required to have a class A, non-CDL license. Currently, in N.C. (I think), as long as both GVWR's added together, don't exceed >26,000 & you are not in "interstate commerce", a class C license will get you by. However, if you are weighed, you'd better have enough 'weight' assigned to the license plate of the towing vehicle. If not, you have not violated a license restriction, but are now eligable for an over-weight violation!!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 PM

that's why i have a class A. i tow a 14k trailer with my Ram 5500. also have a CA #, Weight sticker for 26k and a USDOT #. Oh, and it's just for my daily driver and personal tools, toys, and equipment.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
from the ca drivers hand book
With a Noncommercial Class A License:

Any vehicles under Class C.

* travel trailers weighing over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not used for hire.
* 5th-wheel travel trailers weighing over 15,000 lbs., not used for hire.

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
livestock trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR if the vehicle is controlled and operated by a farmer, used to transport livestock to or from a farm, not used in commerce or contract carrier operations, and is used within 150 miles of the person's farm.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM

Here in New Mexico they have the class E license, it's for non-commercial private use when exceeding the 10K tow or combined gross over 26001. I thought CA had some kind of RV license that gave you the over 10K tow??

CD
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In California, you can get an RV endorsement for your class C license that allows you to tow a 5th wheel over 10k lbs but less than 15k lbs (all based on GVWR of the trailer). It's a 20 question written test only. But, many DMV's don't even know about it. So, be persistent if you go try to get the endorsement. I'm not sure of the requirements that pertain to the travel trailers (bumper pull).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

Upon further research, you have to take the written noncommercial Class A test and, if you haven't passed the Class C law test in the past 12 months, you have to take it again as well . . .

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

I have heard that if they catch you without it, they can make you park it and you have to get someone with the endorsement to tow you out.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In NY 10k or more u need cdl and if your combind gvw is over 26k u need a hut permit (highway use tax) u file a form and pay quarterly, bs way of state making $$$, got stoped a couple of years ago.....u also need a dot # and business name if over 10k commercial or not u need the dot # or pay $200 fine if caught.......this info is what the highway patrol cop told me he was going to ticket me for, but his sarg let me go on everything, they were targeting unlicensed contractors and pulling everyone into an inspection site.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by NJMurvin
In California, you can get an RV endorsement for your class C license that allows you to tow a 5th wheel over 10k lbs but less than 15k lbs (all based on GVWR of the trailer). It's a 20 question written test only. But, many DMV's don't even know about it. So, be persistent if you go try to get the endorsement. I'm not sure of the requirements that pertain to the travel trailers (bumper pull).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt2.htm

Upon further research, you have to take the written noncommercial Class A test and, if you haven't passed the Class C law test in the past 12 months, you have to take it again as well . . .

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

I have heard that if they catch you without it, they can make you park it and you have to get someone with the endorsement to tow you out.
I wonder if u can get that endorsement on my Class B comercial if not guess i have to get a trailer under 10K or get fire plates for my trailer to get profesional pass
Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok state law does not superseed federal laws when it comes to a CDL. This is issue has been beat to death. Here is wat it comes down too. You can take you SUV with a 12k rated trailer down to a CDL road test and get an CDL A with air brake restrictions. No way they will send you packing. As long as you are under 26k you are fine. A cop bustin ***** saying you can get a fat ticket for pulling a toy hauler is just being a hard *** with nothing better to do. I can see them bustin Chops on the Duallys with 48ft 3 car traielrs under the 26k limit
Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by JayBird Enero
Each state is specific to one another. In North Carolina, currently, you MUST have a class A CDL license to operate a combination of vehicles (i.e. truck & trailer) if the combined GVWR is >26,001 lbs. From what I've been told, the "combined GVWR" is the GVWR off both VIN plates, added together. This was changed about a year ago. Prior to this change, if you were towing a trailer where the trailer alone GVWR was >10,001 (reguardless of actual weight), you were required to have a class A, non-CDL license. Currently, in N.C. (I think), as long as both GVWR's added together, don't exceed >26,000 & you are not in "interstate commerce", a class C license will get you by. However, if you are weighed, you'd better have enough 'weight' assigned to the license plate of the towing vehicle. If not, you have not violated a license restriction, but are now eligable for an over-weight violation!!
I agree...My brother was stopped and harangued by Missouri and Kansas revenuers when hauling a tractor back home to Kansas from Kentucky.

F-350 4x4 SRW 4door Longbed and 26' GN double-axle. The trailer combined with the truck RATINGS put him over the 26,001lb mark. He could have been empty and still received a ticket, just because of the ratings. Technically. He lucked out and didn't receive a ticket with either one.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 AM

I heard that the Cal. Highway patrol was going to start doing that. Good thing we don't go to the Cal. dunes anymore.

Quick Reply: Class A licence for towing a 10000lb plus trailer in CA?