3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

camper tie downs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camper tie downs

having a hard time finding camper tie downs for my 03 2500,found one set for over four hundred bucks thought that was a little steep.anybody have a better idea?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:camper tie downs

;D ;D<br><br> Well I can only try to describe the system I made up for my truck.<br><br> I don't like the belly bars with chains, or the funny bent bars that fit in the box stake holes.<br><br> So I purchased two 1/2&quot; x 2&quot; stainless steel &quot;U&quot; bolts. I installed these in the floor of the box as far forward as possible about 8&quot; in from each side. On the underside of the box the &quot;U&quot; bolts are backed up with 3/8&quot; stainless steel plate.<br>It's not a very big piece, as space doesn't allow but it's enough to distribute the weight strain.<br><br> In the camper I installed large muffler clamp &quot;U&quot; bolts backed up inside with 3/8&quot; steel plate. These are located directly in line with the &quot;U&quot; bolts in the truck bed when the camper is installed.<br><br> The camper and the truck are then joined at these locations by a combination of heavy chain and very heavy turn buckles. The turn buckles are then wired to to a small ring on the side to prevent them from turning loose. I access the area to install the turn buckles through the access doors in the very lower part of the camper.<br><br> The rear of the camper is fastened to the truck in the same manner except the turn buckles are attached to the factory equiped tie down hooks in the rear corners of the box. Actually the only rear one in my truck I can get at is the left one because the washroom is on the right rear. So I'am only sastened on three corners.<br><br> With this system we have been all over hell's half acre and back and never had the camper shift, or encountered any other problems. This system was installed on my 95 Dodge and will be reinstalled on the 2003 come spring. The 95 carried the camper on alot of very rough 4x4 type logging roads. May sound crued, but it works. Pete