3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cab light question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cab light question

Hey guys. I just bought an 06 a couple weeks ago off the lot that didnt have cab lights which i would like to add. How are the factory cab lights wired? Do they splice in somewhere or do they plug into a harness? A friend of mine installed some factory Ford lights on his 04 F-250 and they just plugged into a harness (sure makes things simple). What about the Recon aftermarket lights? Do they splice in or plug into a harness? Id like to get the Recon smoked ones but if the factory ones are as simple as a harness ill go with those. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM

The last time I tried to install cab lights was back in 95 (I made sure to order them each time since). I bought the kit from the dealer. It came with the lights, a wiring harness, and a template to show you where to drill (yes, you have to drill). The instructions showed where to plug the harness into a junction box under the column, but I never could get it to work. I ended up splicing a wire at the headlight switch and left it at that.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:00 PM

I got mine installed by the dealer. 89 dollars for the lights and 149 dollars labor.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 PM

Cab Lights

The Recon's require less drilling ,I just put the stock ones on and drilling the large holes in the center about made me sick.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:27 AM

Lights

First off buy the mopar kit, it's good and your good to go. If they install the lights, ask if they will warrenty if they leak, or something. If not go spend the 150 and buy two ladders and a board, and lay accross the roof, this will make drilling the holes very easy. I used a shop vac to suck up all the shavings from drilling, kept them off the truck and outa the inside. My ole 98 had a line in the over head console for the running lights, plugged right in. I loved mine. Use some silicone and they'll never leak. The new ones have the rubber base, no leaks, however the leak was from the plastic itself and where the two pieces were molded together, not the gasket, I think there was a bad batch of glue used in joining the plastic half's
Old 02-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Do the new trucks have the template already in the roof like the old ones? I installed some on my 98 and the holes were already there i just had to drill through the roof.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM

Not sure. Haven't looked at one without the lights. Maybe they are? I thought I recalled something on the inside (under the head liner) but that was a few years ago and on my 98)
Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Mopar Cab Lights

They come with a template for layout,but the lights themselves are not molded exactly like the truck roof.Also alot of dealers won't install them because they don't want to warrant them.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Boz007
Do the new trucks have the template already in the roof like the old ones? I installed some on my 98 and the holes were already there i just had to drill through the roof.
No there is no template.

I installed the Recon lights on my 05 using another truck to measure. The Recons are shaped to fit the curve of the cab.

There wasn't any wire in the pillar like other people claimed, I had to run a wire directly to the relay under the hood since the lights on the newer trucks are controlled through the computer, and can not be ran off the light switch.

Regardless on the ones you pick (recon or OEM) do yourself a favor and put a small bead of black silicone on both sides of the gasket, and also in the screw and wire holes before you install the light.

Happy drilling
Old 02-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Don't do it. I'll trade you an 03 that already has the cabmarker lights. My factory ones leaked. I bought new factory lenses and tried everything. They eventually all start to leak in time. I have tried two sets of Recons and had the same result. I purchased the first set of Recons and they started to leak. I contacted Recon and was told to use clear silicon where the lense meets the base. I was told they were having trouble with the adhesive and were redesigning. I then ordered another set that was supposed to have the new adhesive. I was told I would not have to use any silicon but did so as an added measure of security. Every one is now leaking again. I contacted Recon and told them of my problem. They feel that I did not get a set with the new adhesive and are sending me another set. I must say that Recon is a great company to deal with. Even though I am having problems with their product, they try to fix the problem no questions asked. Great after purchase support. DC should take a lesson from them in customer relations. If the new set leaks I think I will give the 06 factory ones a try. They do have a separate base gasket.

Has anyone had an 06 with leaking cabmarker lights? Also has anyone tried installing the 06 lenses and base gaskets on earlier Gen IIIs?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Template

And yes the Mopar lights come with a template
Old 02-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Muted User

the factory ones leak if they're not tight enough. I just used black permatex and they haven't leaked since. (almost a year).
Old 02-11-2006, 12:39 AM

i just installed my recons today. someone said they switched to a new style and when i opened my package, 4 have holes end to end ( front to back) and one has a hole on each side ( pass. and driver ). i put this one in the center, but the more i got to thinking, maybe i got an old style one with 4 new ones. anyone know what the deal is?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:31 AM

How difficult was the wiring? Did it just plug in to a harness or did you have to splice into the wiring?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Muted User

I just ran a wire to the relay under the hood in the fuse panel.

Quick Reply: Cab light question