3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A/C compressor squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C compressor squeeking

Just wanted to know if any one was having this problem. Now that it is finally getting warm enough out I had my windows rolled down and I heard the noise. The noise that makes one thing the person does not take care of their vehicle.
I did look around the engine and listened to everything that has contact with my belt and the noise pin pointed to the A/C compressor at least I think that is what it is called. The reason i looked at my belt is becasue when the RPM's went up so did the speed of the chirp and when I dropped the RPM's the sound slowed down. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday to have my 30,000 mile maintenance completed on it so I will have them look at it then. I did do a search but did not find anything but the chirping of the belt when the truck engine is shut off. Thanks for any help or guidance.

Thom
Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 AM

If I was guessing the tenisoner on the belt may have loosened up some or going bad the belt itself may need replacing. Did you find any rough places or gouges on the belt at all. Did you feel of the belt to see if it felt pretty tight or had a bit of play, that slippage could be the culprit of the squeal your hearing every so often. Also might check AC compressor to see if the bolts connecting to the bracket may have looened some. With truck running at idle or have someone increase throttle stand and look at the belt from the side fender and see if it looks like everything is running true.

Alternator is on top passenger side AC compressor same side at the bottom.

Tony
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM

If I was guessing the tenisoner on the belt may have loosened up some or going bad the belt itself may need replacing
This was my thinking also. Having had my belt shred with only 5400 miles, it seems these 3rd gen engines are very hard on the belts, for whatever reason.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:02 PM

The belt still looks new and is running straight along the belt pattern. The belt is not loose and the tensionor moves the way it is suppose to. The squeek is definitely coming from the compressor. I crawled under the truck to look while it was running, while it was running I tried to move the compressor and it is on there tight, no movement except for the pulley portion of course. I was just curious if anybody else had their compressor go out on their 3rd gen's.
Thanks for the responses.
Thom
Old 03-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Goodys1ton
The belt still looks new and is running straight along the belt pattern. The belt is not loose and the tensionor moves the way it is suppose to. The squeek is definitely coming from the compressor. I crawled under the truck to look while it was running, while it was running I tried to move the compressor and it is on there tight, no movement except for the pulley portion of course. I was just curious if anybody else had their compressor go out on their 3rd gen's.
Thanks for the responses.
Thom
No compressor problems so far(knock on wood) for me Thom. It could be low on oil causing the squeal from the compressor itself, just a guess. Hope you find the problem, and solve it.

Tony
Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Tire Hater

When I turn on my A/C after the truck has sat all night, it **** near sounds like the compressor is seized, because it makes a clunking sound.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rub a candle on the belt (all edges) with the engine running (be careful!!). If the noise goes away then you have a belt issue. Either go buy some belt dressing or buy a new belt.

If the noise doesn't go away then you probably have a bearing going south.