3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Brand new 09 2500 creaking noise and burning smell!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new 09 2500 creaking noise and burning smell!

Hello!
we just got our new 2009 model Ram 2500 Diesel on Wednesday.
Thursday AM we drove it up to the ski slopes (4WD Lock on) and when we got out at the parking lot, we smelled a burning rubber type of smell.
Then Friday AM, we drove it back up the slopes again on 4WD lock on, and this time the burning smell was terrible and coming into the vehicle through the AC. (it was on feet AC + defogger on upper)
There was also a creaking noise coming from the dashboard or behind steering wheel area the whole time. It was 10 degrees t his morning. I did not notice the creaking noise or burning smell going down the mountain, but it was about 30 degrees and the 4wd was off.

Has anyone experienced any of the above? Is creaking normal for really cold weather?
What about the burning smell - is it from the 4WD or just new tires or something?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 PM

creaking noise

Hey, I have an 07 megacab. I don't know anything about the weird smell but the creaking noise caught my attention. I have always thought that it was the plastics etc... in the dash rubbing and creaking but a couple of months ago we were in the mountains and we were in 4-low in the snow. The radio was off and we were creeping downhill and evrything was quiet when the creaking started. It sounded as if it was a relay in the dash,somewhere behind the radio, clicking on and off. I've always been puzzled but have never had any problems arise. Let's troubleshoot this together. P.s. when I have my jake brake on it seems to act up more.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM

I was going uphill about 9% grade, so my jake brake was definitely off. Yes, it sounded like a clicking and creaking sound at regular intervals. Since Ive only had the truck for 3 days, i'll try to observe more and update this thread later on.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My dash creeks and it seems to come/go and change with vibrations and temperature...

New trucks are going to smell like things are burning and this is somewhat normal as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure you don't have a Chevy caught in your suspension?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by wackodacko
Hello!
we just got our new 2009 model Ram 2500 Diesel on Wednesday.
Thursday AM we drove it up to the ski slopes (4WD Lock on) and when we got out at the parking lot, we smelled a burning rubber type of smell.
Then Friday AM, we drove it back up the slopes again on 4WD lock on, and this time the burning smell was terrible and coming into the vehicle through the AC. (it was on feet AC + defogger on upper)
There was also a creaking noise coming from the dashboard or behind steering wheel area the whole time. It was 10 degrees t his morning. I did not notice the creaking noise or burning smell going down the mountain, but it was about 30 degrees and the 4wd was off.

Has anyone experienced any of the above? Is creaking normal for really cold weather?
What about the burning smell - is it from the 4WD or just new tires or something?

Thanks!
Did you get the truck undercoated? I did, and I couldn't put it in the garage for 2 days because of the smell. Maybe they got some on the exhaust?

Is your truck a manual shift? Clutch slipping?
I'm assuming you were not on dry pavement?