3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Best 3rd Gen year

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cromulius
Which ever one has less miles on it is my vote. "They don't make them like they used to". Correct, they make them better. If I was still driving my 69 chevelle it would not be good. 07, the newest 5.9 you can get.
I couldn't stop laughing reading your post. New vehicles made better? ROFL. New vehicles are getting stupid. Maybe if you just put fuel in it and drive it, and like your heated steering wheel and other retarded features being added. But if you look at relieability of parts, and amount of time for repairs, etc it is a joke. Not to mention ease of replacement parts, MPG vs power, etc. Dodge has proved the fact "they don't make em like they use to" VERY WELL. The newer the worse. You couldn't pay me to own a truck newer then 07. Just give it a few years and you'll pop the hood in a new Dodge Cummins and you won't even see the engine because it will have stupid plastic covers on it like the other brands are going to......o wait the 6.7 already a good start at that

O and if they are made better as you claim, why isn't the 6.7 engine in your pick IE an 08 or 09 for best model year? I guess there is a flaw in your claim

So very few changes between 03 and 07, I live with my 04.5 and change the things Dodge cannot design, one at a time....
Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 AM

This is going to sound stupid but, making a diesel pickup truck that goes 500thousand miles without a problem does not make good business sence. I think the life span and the reliability of the diesel pickup has been going down for many years. But I am not an expert on that subject.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Had an 03. Good truck after the injectors were replaced oh yea and the head let's not forget had to replace a couple pistons do to the head failing. I also had to rebuild the front end at about 70K. Other then that good truck. Of course the seats in the 03 suck big time. I put 110 thou on the truck and it's still going strong.
I have an 05 that has about 75,000 miles on it and I have never put a penny in the truck for repair.
I also have an 06 that has been good except for those junk injectors that had to be replaced. I also rebuilt the front end at 90K. Other then that the truck has been awesome. It has 105 K on it now and it drives like new. As far as the best truck I would say that hands down the 06 is the best truck to drive. It's definitely the most enjoyable for a long trip. The second best is the 05 and in 3rd place is the 03.
As far as what is the best truck over all.... I would say it's a toss up. I know that the 03 had the most problems in the fuel system and the stock heads on those truck are a real problem but after they are fixed it's a great truck.
Our 05 is an absolutely great truck. In all fairness though my wife drives the 05 and she doesn't carry anything other then groceries in the truck. Heck she has a Smarty on 9 and the trans is still stock. That would not be the case if I were the main driver.
My 06 has had injector troubles and the valve cover had to be replaced but other then that It's been great. I did have a axle u joint go bad so I rebuilt the whole front end.
All in all I would say I have been happy with all my trucks. Even my old 98.5.
If you look at the pics in my gallery you will see what trucks are the work trucks.
Take care guys,
Topper
Old 11-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 05, it was great..... I love my new 09 though..... the power is much better than my 05 was even with my edge on 2 in the 05 it was no comparison..... the 6speed auto is sweet too..
Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I guess I'll have to finally settle this!

It's obviously the '04 HO.

They are the simplest of the CRs and have no cat. They do get better mileage than the later years and, with a programmer, are easy to make fast, within reason.

Mine has over six years and 180,000 miles on it and runs better than the day I bought it new. I tow and haul stuff through the mountains all the time. It has had either a Bully Dog or a Smarty on it for at least 170,000 miles. Zero engine problems.

Repairs: lift pump, ball joints, front axle u joints, sway bar end links, front and rear brake pads once, stronger torque converter. Needs heater doors.

It still has clean oil at the 10,000 mile change intervals and does not use a quart between changes. I didn't think that was possible, but it is.

The new 6.7s are tempting, except for the extreme emmisions stuff. I really wish I could put a 68RFE in mine. Then it would be nearly perfect.

My biggest complaint is the tranny and we are all stuck with that problem unless you get a stick or a new truck.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mocho
I couldn't stop laughing reading your post. New vehicles made better? ROFL. New vehicles are getting stupid. Maybe if you just put fuel in it and drive it, and like your heated steering wheel and other retarded features being added. But if you look at relieability of parts, and amount of time for repairs, etc it is a joke. Not to mention ease of replacement parts, MPG vs power, etc. Dodge has proved the fact "they don't make em like they use to" VERY WELL. The newer the worse. You couldn't pay me to own a truck newer then 07. Just give it a few years and you'll pop the hood in a new Dodge Cummins and you won't even see the engine because it will have stupid plastic covers on it like the other brands are going to......o wait the 6.7 already a good start at that

O and if they are made better as you claim, why isn't the 6.7 engine in your pick IE an 08 or 09 for best model year? I guess there is a flaw in your claim
So very few changes between 03 and 07, I live with my 04.5 and change the things Dodge cannot design, one at a time....

So then, why aren't you driving the Ram/Cummins combination Dodge put out the first year they made them?? Or better still, one of the mid-80s Ford 6.9s - heck, you wouldn't even have to worry about a turbo going out!

Personally, I love the creature comforts, the quiet, powerful engine, etc., of my truck. If it had come from the factory with Warn hubs on the front it would have been about perfect. Every year of these trucks have had something that could have been done better but by and large I believe that they eventually evolve for the better. Due to our friends at the EPA all diesels are having some problems right now. It happened to gas engines back in the mid and late 70s but eventually the manufacturers got it all figured out. I sure wouldn't want to have a 60s or 70s vehicle for a daily driver but hey, if that's your thing, go for it!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM

I've got an '03 HO with 52,000 miles. This is my first Cummins. It's been a great truck so far and it gets good fuel mileage too.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM

What's the deal with running with no cat on earlier cr models? I pulled mine off my 07 and it's still running...am I missing something?

GO COWBOYS!!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:12 PM

Knocking on wood with my right hand as I hunt and peck with my left.

My '03 has been FANTASTIC! it's not bombed or anything. Overall mileage 19.36.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Should have made this a poll. I did alot of reserch befor i got my 03. from what Iv read the 03-04 get the best mpg on averge and least amunt of smog crap. I love my 03 but I got the 6 speed.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by txarrowhunter
What's the deal with running with no cat on earlier cr models? I pulled mine off my 07 and it's still running...am I missing something?

GO COWBOYS!!

it won't matter, there isn't any sensors in the exhaust for the cat unless you have a 6.7. someone stole my cat too.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM

There is a poll on this somewhere but I cant find it.Mines an 06 ,I dont know if its the best truck year,but I will bet money it doesnt have the most comfortable seats!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM

I love my 06!!

Go Redskins!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 AM

KWKING,
If you don't like the seats in your 06 jump into an 03 for a few hrs... You will have a new appreciation for your 06 seats...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happy with the 04......most likely depends on what we own....we are biased toward that model.

Quick Reply: Best 3rd Gen year