3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

bed cracking!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st pic seems bonified, is it possibly from your toolbox moving forward and pushing on the front bulkhead?

2nd pic looks like the toolbox has rubbed away the rhino and it caused the bed to be exposed. Box is then rubbing bare metal and giving off rust. Not a break in the corner. I understand that the box is aluminum and the only steel is the bed.

Then again that is my impression. I would assume that the oem reinforcement is for the corners?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Rhino is still intact, no rub through anywhere, its only 5 months old and pretty thick. The stains are in the identical spot on both sides and there is a hairline crack in the liner where the panels have possibly moved. The tool box hasn't shifted at all either, and doesn't put any pressure on the forward wall, you can see the gap between the box and the top of the center panel from where the sides overlap. Maybe it should sit on the center to help spread the weight.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Ive never had a toolbox in mine and mine is doing the same and my trucks white so you really see it i thought it was just my truck cause it im blessed enuff to park 30 feet from the ocean evry night
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM

never had a box in mine either
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I watch wind blow...

this is where mine is cracking, no over the rail tool box here. this is the pass front of bed corner.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got 45000 miles on my 05 dually and mine has a hairline crack through the linex on the drivers side only.I never had any boxes on this truck. I have towed a fifth wheel for around 15000 of those miles.I guess I'm just concerned about the long term effects of this,will it eventually come completely apart? What is the dealers idea of a fix? I can only imagine!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM

I also have the same problem with mine but I also noticed that mine is coming apart in back by the tailgate as well the little tabs that go from the sides and onto the back you can see where there was filler that is cracking.

BUT I also have been running without a tailgate since that broke as well (one of the bottom tabs completely broke off leaving my tailgate hanging from the cables!!) which is also what destroyed my 96 bed both the sides were REALLY bad and wouldnt even keep a tailgate on anymore..

I thought it was just me as well seems weird that the seams would move there?? Wonder if there would be a way of keeping it together better?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM

Man. I got to stop reading these types of threads. The more I read makes me wonder why I switched from Drof. Anyway, before Al Gore invented the internet....My '88 Drof had a bed crack above the rear tail light. Then I had a '97 that cracked by the door handle. Oh well, I guess all of them have the same problem.
Get the welder out. That's how to fix it.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My tailgate fit has went from perfect (new) to something to be desired. It closes for cr** and it has never been damaged or had anything extremly heavy set on it. After reading this I now feel that my bed is pulling apart.The tailgate needs a little more umph to get it latched all the way,it was never like that until about a year ago. I thought it was because of the EZ DOWN on my gate.But maybe not!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is doing this on the passenger side, no tool box and no liner.

I mentioned it to the dealer while it was in for service.

Notes from workorder: Showed vehicle to Service manager for verification of rust.

Comments from service writer: It's surface rust and the warranty is for rust through only, we cleaned the area.

(Their repair? They washed my truck....poorly.)
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
I've got Rhino on mine too and I can see a redish stain on it in the top corners of the bed behind the cab. Apparently this isn't just an isolated problem.

I have heard that when you have rust bleeding through the covering, it wasn't applied correctly or thick enough...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM

I have a camper on mine so I can't see any cracks if there are any. I'll just tell myself there are none.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
I have heard that when you have rust bleeding through the covering, it wasn't applied correctly or thick enough...
Oh trust me it's thick enough, as for prep, I wasn't there when the guy did it, but he seemed to take pride in his work and most people like that will do a good job. If the problem had started where the bed sides meet the back of the bed before the liner was applied and in an area not visible to the eye. It's very possible that as the problem grows it will become visible through the liner later on. Thats my guess anyway.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM

Same crack as 03Rambunktious (sp?). I do have a toolbox, but it is lightly loaded and is not touching the front of the bed. In addition, the toolbox is mounted on rubber to help the bed flex. Anyway - what problems that have been reported on the 3rd gen's has happened to mine - weatherseal ripping, leaking pumps (power steering and CP3), to name a few. I told my wife - last new truck that I will own. I will go to a first generation or build a 71 Powerwagon regular cab with a Cummins.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM

My 06 has the same rust spots, never had a box in it. I noticed it at the dealer when I purchased it used. My truck came from Golden, Co. Does anybody have a pic of the reinforcement pieces installed? Might be worth adding before I buy my shell.

Worst case I'll just build a utility bed for the truck when it is paid off and becomes a dedicated hauler instead of a daily driver and occasional hauler.

Quick Reply: bed cracking!!!!