3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bad Dealer Experience in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad Dealer Experience in Denver

I just joined DTR here recently, but have been reading up for a while on the 06 trucks, as I am planning on buying a Mega Cab soon.
Went to Broadway Dodge in Littleton last weekend (I live in Albq and was only up there for the weekend). Was looking for a particular truck that they didn't have on the lot. Salesman found one just like I was looking for in their "storage yard."
I cut a deal on this truck and put $1k down on my card for them to bring the truck over "in about an hour." Used that time to go to the bank and get a certified check for the purchase. When I got back to the dealer the truck was not there yet, but " will be here in a few minutes." After a half hour I inquired and found out they actually had no truck matching the one they had shown me the paperwork for. They were searching other dealers to locate one, but did not find any. First strike. They were not forthright about the availability of the truck.
I asked them to keep searching, being sympathetic to the fact that I was looking for a particular vehicle. About an hour later they said they had a 2500 that matched what I wanted (wanted a 3500). I agreed to the 2500, as it was the same truck save for the overload springs. Again, "We'll have it here in about an hour, it's in Longmont."
At this point I asked for verification that this truck existed, and the sales mgr told me they hadn't heard form the other dlr yet. I had them refund my credit card deposit after hearing this.
After another hour, they leveled w/ me and told me they couldn't find one in the color I wanted, but had a Slate Grey truck matching what I was looking for, in town. I discussed w/ my wife and we agreed that would be ok (She wnated the gray truck anyway. My first choice was black.)
They brought the truck over. We inspected it and drove it and I agreed to buy it. Started filling out the paperwork, and the sales mgr then informed me the truck would be $400+ more than my orig agreed on price.
I felt after being somewhat mislead all afternoon that I shouldn't pay any more for my second choice. (The invoice price was $400 more than the truck I cut the deal on.)
I opted to go think about the deal, and eat dinner. Called the dlr back about 1/2 hr later to inform them I would take the truck for the price they wanted.
I was then told by the sales mgr that they would no longer honor the deal because I had left the premises w/o agreeing to it.
I promptly went back to the dealer to figure out what went wrong. I was told that they had " made a bad business decision" in selling me the truck for the price they had agreed to, and since I left the site, they were entitled to back out of the deal.
Granted, they had agreed to selling me a truck for almost $12k off the sticker price, but obviously have no integrity.
I spoke to the owner of the dealership. He backed his staff's decision to rescind an offer, stating that they were in need of selling a few vehicles to reach their monthly quota/bonus, but since the deal drug out until late Sat evening, they then realized they were not going to make their qouta (end of the month on Tues) and therefore were not willing to take a loss on selling to me. He offered to sell me one at invoice minus rebates which is still about $4k more than my orig deal. I did not accept.

My take on this is that they strung me along until the end of the day to see if they really needed my business to meet their monthly goal. (He said they only sold 1 other new vehicle on Sat and werent going to make their goal.)
Whatever the reasoning, I feel that they were very unethical and would not reccomend anyone purchasing from them.
I realize this is a long read, but felt it worth while to spread the word about an unscrupulous dealer.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Elway Dodge in Denver

Hey I don't know if you're still in the market for a new truck, but about this time last year I bought my 05 from John Elway Dodge in Denver. The salesman name was Matt (can't remeber last name but he was a big guy) he was very helpful, I called him the day before and told him what I wanted. He had it all cleaned up for me, and full of fuel ready to test drive. He handed me the keys and said i'll see ya later. Before I started the truck, I said if I like it and don't find anything wrong, I'll buy today for Invoice-Rebates-3/4 hold back (which is about 1200) and no dealer fees, so have the deal ready with you manager when I get back and we'll talk. So he had that deal mentioned above ready to go and I bought the truck that day. They even installed the chrome laramie grill for free, so I tihnk they did a great job, very straightforward and honest, no games with them. So I'd say give them a shot.

Good luck
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would tell you that if the dealer treated you fairly otherwise, then wait until the end of March and see if they are wiling to deal again.

Next time, have them put the negotiated price and how long that price is good for in writing. if it is good through the end of the month, then they should honor. On the flip side, if you drag your feet (I'm just saying this as an example), you shouldn't expect the dealer to honor a price after that date has past.

Dealers are always more inclined to bend on price at the end of a month/year. I started negotiations on my new truck at the end of November and didn't buy until the end of December.

To your benefit, you have more time now to search for the exact truck you wanted in the first place.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTDjeeper, I have been to Elway Dodge, the one on Wadsworth. I spoke w/ their fleet mgr Mike Huffman (My company buys trucks from him.). He offered a decent deal. invoice-rebates. Wanted to keep the holdback, but I didn't haggle too much. Was just window shopping at the time. Seems like a decent dealer.
dj, That's where I'm at w/ Broadway and any other dlr. I figure it will be worth my time to go look at the end of the month each time. These trucks are expensive enough that I can't justify buying one unless I get a pretty darn good deal.
You are correct, the best way is t get them to sign an agreement w/ a time limit on it.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grit, the way they treated you is complete BS. If I were you, I would never deal with them again. There are too many dealers around to put up with that.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nah....

They figured you went shopping...found nothing, and if you came back, (affter the BS games they played) then they must have had the "deal of the century" and it was too good. So now, being that you are tired after a full day of BS, you will pay an extra grand or two just to get the truck and get it over with..

Screw that! Go to another dealer, order it EXACTLY the way you want it, and it at a even better deal than they are offering you now.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I am shutting this down since these threads quickly turn into dealer bashing threads.

Sorry to hear that they wouldn't deal with you well. Keep looking around though, I am sure you will find the "one" you are looking for.