3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my fans are installed, did take a couple of pictures, put mine on a switch instead of trying to find and tap a/c clutch wires, have to put a can of freon in to really test and check line pressures
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Hyperrcng,
I'd really like to see those photos & hear the results.
I'm in the process of installing the be cool 16" fan. Having a hard time with clearance of the hood latch assembly.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM

lets see if these upload
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?-photo0091.jpg   Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?-photo0092.jpg   Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?-photo0093.jpg   Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?-photo0094.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM

First pic shows the radiator support out of the way. Second shows the intercooler support crossmember. That is 2"x2" aluminum 1/8 inch thick for the lower mount. Does not need to be 2x2 but have another project that does. Last shows the fans mounted to the aluminum. There is right at 3 inches between the intercooler and radiator and 12 inches from the top of the cooler support to the top of the cooler. (Manual trans truck) The aluminum is cut to 27 inches cause the intercooler core is just over 27 inches. Dropped the assembly into the space and used self tapping screws on each end of the aluminum to the crossmember making sure that the bolt heads holding the fans to the aluminum does not touch the intercooler. Used the nylon straps that comes with the fans to hold the top to the cooler. Put a switch inside that is tapped into a key on fuse to trigger the relay. Just in general testing after installation you can notice the heat being pulled through off the condenser. Still need to add a can of freon but just idling in the yard, I never heard the clutch cycle and the air was cooler. The pic I took of everything back together didn't show up. If really needed, I might can try again out in the sun.

These fans are just over 2 3/4 inches thick. Found a kit on ebay. All said and done with 2 trips to the parts house for little things I have about $110 in this. Time will tell now.

And yes that is a dirt dobber nest and a few cob webs under the hood. She doesn't get driven much due to work. Gotta keep that goobercar in the wind to pay for this fun.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

I know this sounds a bit hard on the idea. Not trying to stomp on toes. . . Don't be offended.

You may as well put in a Flex-a-lite cooling fan and pick up the extra power too.

I considered the same thing 2 years ago but figured to go the extra bucks and finish the job. The work is the same and the results are better

Best thing I ever did
Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM

I am not really interested in modifying too much. I did think about it but figuring out several things to make it work correct just didn't appeal to me. If this doesn't help/work, I see the next purchase is a forsale sign for the window.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here you go.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t245620.html
Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM

You cut the rubber stand mounts in half that go between the fans and the condensor. It's a tight fit.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Success!
After a couple of hours of trying to get the fan to fit without coming into contact with the grill & latch assembly, I was able to fit the fan. Found Dodgezilla’s photos on the iPad and took it into the garage so I could copy what he did.

First drive with fan installed. Vent temp went from 110* to 60* in half a mile. Was able to maintain a 40* vent temp when over head temp read 104*. Prior to the fan, the system would struggle to maintain 60* with a similar outside temp. Needless to say I am satisfied with results & feel that this was possible the best $100 I’ve spent on the truck.

A big thanks to Dodgezilla and Spooled for sharing what they have learned.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:19 AM

As a fellow Texan who has installed a heater core bypass -- and getting good temps -- your mod and success report puts this high on my list.

As to vent temps shown, was that on RECIRC or FRESH?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Temps taken with system in recirc.

If the fan didn't work, I was going to do the heater core bypass.

The true test will be on the way home from work today. It will be stop & go traffic and ambient temp will be 100*.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Those are good readings. I had similar results with the Flex-a-lites which are pullers. You wire them in with the A/C so they run at full speed
Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM

You may have to add some R134a. Check both driver and passenger side vents with gauges install on the system while running. Hard to tell you what the pressures should be. Ambient air temp is always different and that will change the pressures.

Oh yeah, Get ready to freeze. The AC system will get cold quick and stop and go traffic will not affect the AC like it used to. You will still have to add some freon every 1 1/2 to 2 years. I have always had to do this with my truck.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM

And Spooler was a big help for me too when I was looking for better A/C performance. That's what we are all here for... My A/C works fantastic still. Definitely the best of any of the trucks I have had and I have had a bunch......
Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Yeap, mine works great also. I had to add a can of R134a this year though. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried Installing A Pusher Fan Over The A/C Condenser?