3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Any guesses what this stuff on my door is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any guesses what this stuff on my door is?

Hi all,

I bought a used truck and I've been trying to clean up the interior a bit. Got some paint that was on the door panels off with goo gone but there's another substance that the goo gone doesn't even affect. The stuff is really hard. Any body have any guesses what it is and how to get it off?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
find a product called tannery leather and vinyl care.

Spray it on, and it will foam, work the area with a vegetable brush for a while, might take two or three applications, it will work. Stuff smells horrible, but leaves your interior looking new.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM

dried blood from a stubbed toe...try oxyclean in a spray bottle,,yup fur shur
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks like blood. you better sanitize that lol. you probly shut the cat in the door.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
do you have dogs??????? smell it
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM

If it's blood then somebody was hurting pretty bad since it's on every one of the 4 doors.
The picture makes it look more red than it actually is. It's more of a dark, rusty looking color. There are some rust colored stains on the seats too that I think might be the same stuff.
What is really throwing me off is that paint thinner didn't faze this stuff. Maybe some kind of glue or industrial sealer?
Any painters/contractors cruising these forums that can chime in?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
When I mentioned tannery earlier, and the method of working it, I wasn't kidding.

I had a spray can of traffic line marking paint go off in my cab, and tannery took it off the dash and other plastic surfaces.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Soot For Brains!

i wouldnt think paint thinner would effect it if it was rust. try some oven cleaner on a small small spot..it might discolor im not sure. give that a shot. if its a petro product oven cleaner is awesome.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 PM

It is not blood. Blood will wipe right off with warm water, much less goo gone. It looks like some sort of tar, or acrylic hardener. Is it something that you can pick off or is it more like a stain?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
It is not blood. Blood will wipe right off with warm water, much less goo gone. It looks like some sort of tar, or acrylic hardener. Is it something that you can pick off or is it more like a stain?
im still in favor of the dead cat also try acetone
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
try your wife's fingernail polish remover. if it can disolve super glue, it might work, but test a small area first.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 AM

I would stay away from fingernail remover, thats Acetone. That will turn the plastic realy ugly real fast. It melts some plastics. FYI
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 AM

I used a steam cleaner attachment that came on a carpet steam cleaner. Cleaned my seat and carpet and did a great job. Do'nt know if it work on plastic's, just a thought!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try a scotchbrite pad and some soap and water and gently rub it off

or a brillo pad, but be careful...i use this on my plastics in the truck but i also have black interior, don't know what it will do to gray.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Acetone - The goo gone has acetone in it. It took the paint off without any problems. Didn't affect this stuff at all. It didn't cause any discoloration on the hard plastic. Some light marks on the soft upper door panel, but it looks better than silver and gold paint streaks. I used the wipe on - wipe off method. Quick swipe of goo gone followed by a quick swipe of soapy sponge.

Steam cleaner - The truck was steam cleaned before I brought it home. It was a prior smoker's truck and that's the only thing that could actually get the smell out.

The thought around my house is it might be some sort of funky tar. It definitely is not a stain. It has a texture you can feel if you rub your hand across the door. I don't have any fingernails myself, but my wife was unable to chip any of it away with hers. It's too hard and bonded too well.

I'll try the tannery cleaner and oven cleaner if I can find some.

In the meantime keep the ideas coming I guess.

Quick Reply: Any guesses what this stuff on my door is?