3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Are all 2005 1 tons the same?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all 2005 1 tons the same?

Was talking to a guy that said he purchased his 05 1 ton from Texas because the injection timing was not retarded and it had no cat like the California models. Is there any difference between the Non Cali & Cali models?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 PM

They would have different emmissions requirements, but I'm not sure if they still make non Ca. emissions trucks. That was the problem up here in Ma. when the HO came out you couldn't get it in the state because of emissions.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sled,

From the 2004.5 on up trucks, they are supposed to be 50 state legal. They are all made the same with the same Cats etc. installed on them.

Prior to that, there were "HO" models and "SO" models for different states requirements. Supposedly, the 04.5 on up trucks meet all the requirements for all states.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 AM

All 05s in all states are the same.He is full of do do.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM

There is still a California and Federal State Emissions certification!

I don't think there is anything functionally different between them though. They all come with cats, etc.

However, on the dealer invoices, there is a difference. Working at a dealer few months back, we would try to get trucks from Nevada, some had California emissions and we could dealer trade for those, others had Federal Emissions, and the DMV will NOT let those be sold in California.

Its just that 600 or 610 models (HO) are allowed in california, where before you couldn't even get a HO (555).
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bbhzx12
They would have different emmissions requirements, but I'm not sure if they still make non Ca. emissions trucks. That was the problem up here in Ma. when the HO came out you couldn't get it in the state because of emissions.

Can't buy a HO there cause of emissions.. but you can marry another guy?? What's this world coming

I'm in the same boat, RI has to meet California Emissions standards also, so I'm currious to see what they do with the diesel tests. I hope only visual, then I can do more to it (worried about timing and all that if it'll hurt me on emissions)
Old 12-21-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Airspeedy
However, on the dealer invoices, there is a difference. Working at a dealer few months back, we would try to get trucks from Nevada, some had California emissions and we could dealer trade for those, others had Federal Emissions, and the DMV will NOT let those be sold in California.
I learned about this issue this spring when I started my shopping. To get a truck that was on a lot, as a MA resident, I could only buy from a dealer, or any dealer I bought from could only get a truck from the 6 New England states, NY or NJ. When I priced out a truck online, there are certain codes for if you live in one of these states, CA or TX. This is a no cost option. I got a quote from Tomeygun, as I considered flying to MO and driving home. If I did this, he'd have to order the truck for a MA resident, not someone from MO. This also meant if he had a truck on the lot that I wanted, I couldn't buy it legally.

I don't know where I would be caught if I did this. When I went for my state emissions (although I won't be sniffed for a couple of years) or the DMV.

With the HO vs SO issue, I think if the truck has 7,500 miles on it, it's considered used and OK to register here. I'm not sure if this has changed. If I bought a truck Tom had on the lot, and took a looooong way getting home, maybe I could have gone this route.