3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air Conditioning on '06 CTD....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a ac thermometer for $5 bucks and POST what the temps are out of the vents.You'll also the KNOW the before and AFTER its looked at.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:39 AM

Where do you get one?

Does anybody know what the Dodge specs are for A/C performance?

i.e. needs to get cab to certain temperature, in certain time, with certain outside temperature?

I know this is how we used to measure HVAC performance at Ford, so I'm sure DC has something similar.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:31 PM

Most any auto parts stores.HALF outside ambient temp from vents is usually a good indicator.Subject to change with humidity etc.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I've noticed that it takes a bit longer to cool the cab down than on other vehicles, but works fine otherwise. I've just accepted the fact that it's a much bigger cab than other vehicels that I've owned, and that not only the air but all of the material in the cab needs to be cooled too.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Auto ac systems for the most part put out the same amount if a Neon or a Mega Cab.Size of dash(trapped heat etc) all makes a differance.Single cab trucks always are colder then Club cabs,4 door autos(full size) and so on.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 PM

I Just bought mine a few weeks ago and its the Mega. Im in Fl and its hot and humid here.This has by far been the worst a/c system of all my vehicles.It blows hard but not cold enough to cool down the truck. I am in and out of the truck all day long and I have to leave it running if I want it to be comfortable when I get back in. I hope this is a general freon problem.My cousin took his Hemi into the shop and they gave him one of these to drive and he called me to complain about the a/c as soon as he left the dealership. If anyone gets this resolved please let us know
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM

Well, my truck was in the shop last week cause the fan was only working on a couple of the settings. It was a bad climate control head, the unit in the dash. They also added 7/8ths of a pound of freon. There is a sevice bulletin for this. '03s forward are known to have been delivered low on freon. I would say a check is in order.

My a/c is now ice cold. Never was before.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Mega Cab A/C

Hello All, to all of you that think the inside size of the cab makes a big difference, I would say that is an excuse. My former truck an 03 F250 would absolutely freeze you out, and it is roughly the same size inside when you consider headroom and width. The A/C could be on 1 or 2 and once it was cooled off inside that was enough for even the rear seat passengers. This maybe took 10 minutes at most even in AZ in the summer.

Another large vehicle that I own is a 2001 Suburban, it will cool off twice as fast as my Mega Cab. Yes, it does have dual air but it will cool you off in the front seat with just the dash air.

Dodge has a MAJOR problem with this Mega Cab A/C thing. I predict that this will not go away easily for them. As owners and just good consumers we owe it to ourselves and to them continually take our vehicles back until they make them right. Our resale is going to be terrible if they do not get this fixed!

There is another thread going on this same subject as well as a website for owners with Mega Cab A/C problems.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:46 PM

My truck is a QuadCab and the a/c just doesn't cut it.
The temp around here it's been between 100° and 105° .
Hope DC finds a solution soon.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM

I'm running into A/C problems for the second time in almost exactly 12 months. Before I take it into the shop again, I decided to do the A/C performance check that is listed in the service manual. With the engine running at normal operating temperature, the steps are:

1) Select A/C button on, Fan to HI, Temp to full Cool, and Recirculate Mode.
2) Exterior doors and windows closed.
2) Idle at 1000 RPM for 5 minutes.
3) Measure the discharge air temp from the drivers side center air vent. If the air temperature outside the vehice is less than 80*F, then the A/C air should be 45*F or less. If the outside temp is 100*F or less, the A/C air should be 55*F or less. And if the outside temp is up to 110*F, your A/C should still blow air at 64*F or less.

Hope this helps Lance and anyone else who might be looking for some "specs" from Dodge about poor A/C performance.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 AM

My concern is that the fan doesn't move much air. It makes so much noise you cant hear the radio, but nothing comes out of the vents. The truck does cool off after about 6-7 mins (as long as you don't have to stop).
Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Any of you guys think to check the pressure of your freon to make sure you have enough?

And a second thought, your turbo sits right next to the condenser, why dont you make a heat shield for it so your turbo heat isnt making any of your problems worse.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:52 AM

I live in Southern California in the desert and mine will freeze you out of the cab. I hope that you find out what's wrong.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:23 AM

Mega Cab Is worse

extremeshot,

you are lucky on two accounts, one that your air is so cold, and two that you were smart enough to buy a QC and not an MC. Although i see that The_ Mexican seems to be having problems also. I am starting to think because of these types of reports that the MC air box was just adapted form the QC. And both air boxes (plenums) seem to be new for 06, because the older year guys are satisfied and the vent design and layout is different. I hope I am not right and I only have a refrig. problem and not airflow but it is not looking good.
Hoping for a recall and redesign.....

I am taking the truck in this week for this as well as an idiot light that is on. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Brady, wksaz
Old 06-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Mine still isn't working well.

Also for the guys out West, I believe the A/C is much more efficient with the drier air, so for those that have high humidity it's probably even worse.

The agruement about having a big cab is a joke. I am in many Suburbans, Excursions, Navigators, and other Crew Cab trucks that cool down WAY faster and colder (even at low to medium fan speeds) than my truck. Oh and did I say they blow harder but much quieter than the Dodge?

In this day and age there is absolutely no excuse for poor A/C performance.

Junk.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning on '06 CTD....