3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air Conditioning on '06 CTD....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning on '06 CTD....

I've only had my truck for 2 weeks now. The weather here has been in the 70's with low humidity, very nice actually.

Sometimes when the windows are up and the sun is out the cab gets a little warm and/or stuffy. I'll usually put the A/C on recirculate and the first or second fan setting. It doesn't seem to do a good job of cooling things off. In any other vehicle those settings would be more than enough to do the job considering the conditions.

I know some here have talked about poor A/C quality. Has anybody found a solution? I remember guys getting the "they're all like that" line from the dealer. If this is the case I am very disappointed and don't know what I'll do when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm quite pleased w/ my AC! Had it on fan setting 2 today on the way home from work. Worked great as far as I'm concerned. No complaints here!

Tony
Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 PM

Smile

Mine works fine. Its been in the mid 90s, and I have not had any complaints. I do have 20% tint though. Dont know if you do.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM

No tint yet.

I was 50/50 on tint but now I may have to get it.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lance, I'd say it's the HUGE SIZE of that mega cab!!

there's a LOT of air, material and metal surface exposed to the sun. esp without tint, it's just a solar experiment waiting to make you sweat.

it's prolly ok.

read this in an owners manual somewhere:
open windows (i lower my rears), and run on dash, max fan (not recirc) to blow all the hot air out of the cabin, then go to recirc after i drive a block or two to blow out hot air.

then adjust fan speed to maintain temp

i have to run heat & ac in mornings to keep from freezing to death in my "little" quad cab.

hth?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 PM

i hope this doesnt come off as smart aleck but are you actuating the button for the compressor off to the side? turning on the fan doesnt actuate the a/c you also have to push a/c button.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ronmonical
i hope this doesnt come off as smart aleck but are you actuating the button for the compressor off to the side? turning on the fan doesnt actuate the a/c you also have to push a/c button.
...actually that is a very valid comment. You would be surprised how many a/c probs we "fix" by pushing that button.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ronmonical
Yes I always run it with the A/C on and recirculate.

I don't believe it's the Mega Cab size as I'm sitting in the driver's seat. The air coming out just doesn't feel cold enough. Running it at the highest fan speed makes it better but is very loud.

Either way it is definately less efficient than any other vehicle I've ever had.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed mine did the same thing, around a 75-80 degree day. But when the temperature started getting 90's & driving around town it is nice and cool for me. (I do the hot air purge for the first block also) It must have some switch so it will not freeze over at lower outside temps. The Ram a/c is a little better than my 1999 suburban. I also believe the newer freon does not work as good as the older stuff. My 1994 suburban would freeze me out. I hope that is all it is for you, real hot days are a bad time to find out though .
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 PM

I have a Mega also and the AC sucks compared to the 03 Quad Cab I traded in on it. Don't have any answers for you, but you definitely aren't alone.

Ron
Old 06-16-2006, 09:59 PM

For about $5 bucks you can buy a ac thermometer at most any auto parts store and know what the temp is blowing out.I have two.One in left side vents and one in right side vents.HALF of outside ambient is about norm depending on humidity.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 PM

I tried it again this afternoon....between 80-85 degrees outside.

This time I had it on full blast and it felt just ok.

The vent on the left side of the steering wheel was blowing air that felt like the first or second fan setting on other vehicles. The air temperature coming out was definately not cold. I would say somewhere just beyond cool.

I've owned many different types of vehicles and never thought twice about how the A/C worked in any of them. I know that the cooling power in general went down a little in all vehicles since they switched to the new refrigerant, but even the newer ones have been fine for me. My '02 F-150 with almost 100K that I still own blows this away. After things get cool it's TOO cold and you have to throttle it back.

I hope this is something that can be remedied otherwise I won't be happy.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 AM

I hope..

I hope there is a remedy. It was 100 today in sacramento. I have a 10 mile commute. About half way home, I would have to turn down the AC in my F150. Today in my 06, I had AC full blast the entire way home and it barely kept up.. This is the only thing I dont like about this truck so far.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something must be wrong or I like it warmer than you folks. I usually go home for lunch, about 8 miles. Yesterday was 90 degrees and each way I turned the fan to 2 to be comfortable. At least have someone check it out, that would suck getting "sweaty pits" in a new truck.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 AM

I'll be bringing mine to the dealer in a couple weeks. Will have it checked out then.

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but this is one of those things that is a "non-negotiable" on a modern day vehicle.

I hope they fix it because the "they're all like that" thing isn't goint to fly.

And I don't think it's unreasonable for me to feel that way.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning on '06 CTD....