3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

285/70/17 E

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ace, any truth to what I've heard that the Nitto's do not wear well, compared to the Toyo's?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Hmmm...pointing fingers(middle I'm guessing), calling names (rednecks),and making fun of Canadians....? I think someone has little man syndrome!
So tell me clem are ya' gonna be short lived here?.....
Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 PM

I freakin' HATE my Nitto's! I've got 50K miles on them and they aren't chatterd out on the sides because stupid me, rotates them every 5,000 miles. These stupid things arent even at the wear indicators yet and I am absolutely tired of washing them!!!

Last edited by woodrep; 02-27-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: None of your business.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Ace, any truth to what I've heard that the Nitto's do not wear well, compared to the Toyo's?
I really couldn't say since they've only been on there about 8 months and I haven't been driving it much over the winter.

One thing that holds true about wear across the lines and brands generally speaking though is, the more aggressive the tread, the quicker it will wear on the highway. That's why I cannot figure out why I see so many rigs running around the roads here with AT tires, when you know darn well most of them never leave the pavement. That's what attracted me to the Dura Grappler: An M/S rated tire with a highway tread. They are so much quieter than the BFG's I was just amazed the first time I took it out with the new tires last summer. I'm sure you could have measured the difference with a decibel meter.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

I hear ya Ace, some people put big meaty tires on just for the looks I know, same as dual exhaust etc.
I could probly get by with tires like yours but I do go off road occasionally on my fishing trips and worry about not being able to keep up to my friends trucks.

Woody, gonna PM ya so as not to hijack anymore.

(we now return to our regularly scheduled squabbling)
Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Want the best of the best????????

Get all of your names in on this thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...77#post2391877

Old 02-28-2009, 12:21 PM

M55's didn't last worth crap on my old Ford...

... but that dual I beam thing ate tires. No matter if I bought expenzive Toyo's or cheap raction Kings, they all lasted about the same on that old pig...
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Cooper S/T's are the bestest tire, better even than the almighty BFG All Terrain.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by rbox
Cooper S/T's are the bestest tire, better even than the almighty BFG All Terrain.
They are, most admittedly............until you hit the gravel.................then they are like the bone the dog wouldn't give up & do puncture quite easily on jagged pit run.

Over, the past 8 years, 7 company trucks, and my 2 personal trucks, I have had the opportunity to test most of the brands that frequent our forum in the most awful conditions and places. I have found only one tire that stands up to general all around punishments......the M-55. Expensive to beat all heck, but worth it if one doesn't like walking in the bushes, hours from any help whatsoever. We are putting them on all our company trucks - over 70 in the fleet.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM

I agree the Toyos are good. I have never personally ran the M55 but my father in law ran the A/T's with good success. I have sold many sets of Toyos.

I am quite partial to the Cooper S/T though. I have run many sets. It is a dang good looking tire. Performs and lasts well too. I hope they don't discontinue it anytime soon.

As for the BFG A/T, I have my own opinion about that overrated tire.

Originally Posted by Festus
They are, most admittedly............until you hit the gravel.................then they are like the bone the dog wouldn't give up & do puncture quite easily on jagged pit run.

Over, the past 8 years, 7 company trucks, and my 2 personal trucks, I have had the opportunity to test most of the brands that frequent our forum in the most awful conditions and places. I have found only one tire that stands up to general all around punishments......the M-55. Expensive to beat all heck, but worth it if one doesn't like walking in the bushes, hours from any help whatsoever. We are putting them on all our company trucks - over 70 in the fleet.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have found the Coopers to be soft and not wear well.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 PM

I have found the coopers to be soft and also wear well. I guess it all depends on what surfaces you are driving on. I always got at least 40-45k out of them.

Originally Posted by annabelle
I have found the Coopers to be soft and not wear well.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM

I have found the coopers to be soft and also wear well. I guess it all depends on what surfaces you are driving on. I always got at least 40-45k out of them.
Yep....gravel and pit run are the killer for them. Seems pavement and dirt roads aren't so bad.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What ever works for each application.....no one tire fits all.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM

Has anyone tried the Cooper S/T-C? I've seen that tire in their books and on the site but I never got the chance to try it. It is a cut and chip resistant tread. Maybe it would solve the gravel/high wear problem of the regular S/T without sacrificing the greatness of that tire...

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...iscoverer_st_c

Quick Reply: 285/70/17 E