3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab - Front End Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab - Front End Death Wobble

I have a 2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab with 36K which recently developed a problem. When encountering railroad tracks or uneven bumps at 40 mph+ you get a horrible front end wobble, feels like the wheels are going to fall off, until you nearly come to a stop. The truck has always pulled to the right, although Front end check shows alignment to be within spec. The Dodge dealer - Larson Dodge in Puyallup, is clueless, and not much help, other than a service bulletin was issued referencing the addition of a duel stabilizer. Many trucks have taller lifts and larger tires in the area without this problem. Several off road shops have checked the lift kit (4"), which has been on the truck from day one, and found no loose parts, and the track bar is tight. Any info on this would help. Otherwise a great truck.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by driftingfly
I have a 2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab with 36K which recently developed a problem. When encountering railroad tracks or uneven bumps at 40 mph+ you get a horrible front end wobble, feels like the wheels are going to fall off, until you nearly come to a stop. The truck has always pulled to the right, although Front end check shows alignment to be within spec. The Dodge dealer - Larson Dodge in Puyallup, is clueless, and not much help, other than a service bulletin was issued referencing the addition of a duel stabilizer. Many trucks have taller lifts and larger tires in the area without this problem. Several off road shops have checked the lift kit (4"), which has been on the truck from day one, and found no loose parts, and the track bar is tight. Any info on this would help. Otherwise a great truck.
Don't feel left out, i have a leveling kit on my 2004 wich lifts it about 2" enough room for 35's. In my case mine starts to death wobble only when i hit a nice size bump and at about 70mph. There are several factors than can contribute to this problem, but if your alignment, suspension, ball joints and steering rod end are ok i would check to see how well your tires are ballanced. I reciently threw a wheel weight on my Rt front tire wich caused it to death wobble over every bump i hit regardless of speed. If your running an agressive mud tire like i have you may want to rebalance and rotate quit often, i do about every 5000 miles. I won't be putting on another set of mud tires after i get these one's worn out!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Smash metal Your blazer on your web page is sick! Did you do all that fab work by yourself?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by RED99CTD
Smash metal Your blazer on your web page is sick! Did you do all that fab work by yourself?
Not all of it, just most of it! One of my other buddies with a nonrunning 63, fuel injected small block chevy IH Scout helped me
Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 PM

Hey Blair,
Are you still looking for the keys to spell what you are thinking. HAHAHA!!!! I'm sure glad the dealer was able to help you out with your fog light problem 6 months after you bought your rig. Even though you weren't able to use those lights...they sure looked cool. By the way you pull the light switch out to turn on the fog lights.
Now that we are done with your blazer and it isn't taking up all of my shop space, do you think you could come over and help me get my non running 63 Chevy IH rolling?
Sorry to steal your post I had to give Blair a little razzin.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by RED99CTD
Hey Blair,
Are you still looking for the keys to spell what you are thinking. HAHAHA!!!! I'm sure glad the dealer was able to help you out with your fog light problem 6 months after you bought your rig. Even though you weren't able to use those lights...they sure looked cool. By the way you pull the <a href="http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl.asp?k=light%20switch" onmouseover="window.status='light switch'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">light switch</a> out to turn on the <a href="http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl.asp?k=fog%20lights" onmouseover="window.status='fog lights'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">fog lights</a>.
Now that we are done with your blazer and it isn't taking up all of my shop space, do you think you could come over and help me get my non running 63 Chevy IH rolling?
Sorry to steal your post I had to give Blair a little razzin.
Hey Steve,
I guess i can help you work on your non-running scout , I've spent over 300$ in new hubs and steel to beef the blazer back up and get it back together from the last time i let you wheel it. Thats the last time i fall in the creek . Im only going to come over again if i can get a free hair cut
Old 12-09-2005, 12:25 AM

You were the spotter. Besides I told you not to let me drive it. Consider my driving it a favor. I was able to point out all your weaknesses so they could be improved upon.

Oh enough already. Were going to get kicked off of here for hyjacking threads and razzin each other too much. By the way if you get another hair cut I want to visit with your shrink!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 07:45 AM

Isn't that covered under your warrenty?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Same With Achevy

i PUT REAR AIR SHOCKS ON MY 87 1-TON DOES'NT EVEN HAVE A STABILIZER ON , 38.5 BOGGERS WITH EQUEL BALANCING SAND ANY TRUCK STOP OR BIG RIG REPAIR SHOP HAS IT AND VALVE CORES ABOUT $15.00 PER TIRE BALANCED FOREVER. NO MORE DEATH RIDES AT THE TRACKS!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by driftingfly

What that dealer isn't telling you is that there are a bunch of things for them to check and or do. I know one of suggestions are to toe the tires out slightly and to check the track bar for any play. I had the death wobble and for me, the fix to replace a tie rod end. Ususally the most likely cause is a worn track bar.

Since they are telling you that the service bulletin only mentions a dual stablizer, asked them to show it to you because you heard it's got a check list that's like 2 pages.

Good luck!!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 AM

had the same thing. Dealer realigned it and found out is was my caster was out of adjustment, but it still pulls to the right
Old 12-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by plow
Isn't that covered under your warrenty?
Warranty can't be expected to cover it when someone's put an aftermarket lift kit on the truck (which is guaranteed to be at least 75% of the problem), nor is it fair to blame the dealer techs for not being able to correct the concern if the truck is lifted.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Warranty can't be expected to cover it when someone's put an aftermarket lift kit on the truck (which is guaranteed to be at least 75% of the problem), nor is it fair to blame the dealer techs for not being able to correct the concern if the truck is lifted.
Lifts usually do contribute to some of it, but on the other hand the tech's should know the spec's and how things should be alingned. Even if they don't want to cover it they could atleast give a person a heads up to where the problem lies.
I've read other forms of guys having the same problem with non-lifted trucks. All the parts under my front end check out fine by the dealership, but when i hit 70mph on a good bump, here comes the death wobble.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by smash metal
Lifts usually do contribute to some of it, but on the other hand the tech's should know the spec's and how things should be alingned. Even if they don't want to cover it they could atleast give a person a heads up to where the problem lies.
I've read other forms of guys having the same problem with non-lifted trucks. All the parts under my front end check out fine by the dealership, but when i hit 70mph on a good bump, here comes the death wobble.
Hey, just because the dealer tells you everything checks out doesn't mean it does. When I had mine at the dealer for the death wobble, the service writer and 2 techs told me everthing checked out so they didn't know what was wrong, but another tech over heard us and said to wait a sec. He then got online and pulled up the service bulletin from dodge and took me out to the truck. Then he started to go over the most likely culprits with me and BAM, he find the potential problem.

The trick to getting it fixed is to have the through tech look at the problem, the problem with that is not knowing who the good techs are.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Crabjoe
Hey, just because the dealer tells you everything checks out doesn't mean it does. When I had mine at the dealer for the death wobble, the service writer and 2 techs told me everthing checked out so they didn't know what was wrong, but another tech over heard us and said to wait a sec. He then got online and pulled up the service bulletin from dodge and took me out to the truck. Then he started to go over the most likely culprits with me and BAM, he find the potential problem.

The trick to getting it fixed is to have the through tech look at the problem, the problem with that is not knowing who the good techs are.
Would you happen to know what that Service Bulletin was? Because im having a problem finding a good tech! Maybe i can point some one in the right direction.

Quick Reply: 2004.5 Diesel Ram 2500 Quad Cab - Front End Death Wobble