3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2003 a/c fin sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 a/c fin sensor

has anybody had the dealer INSTALL A A/C EVAPORATOR fin sensor is this the fix for freeze ups . if so I am out of warranty, about how long or how big of a job is it . can it be done my self , does anybody know the location . It looks to me like behine the glove box and on top of the evaporator. I pickup the sensor at another dealer, only1 dealer in new york area had it in stock,cheep 22 dollars. several dealers said this is not a common problem b/s I do not think they know ,and dodge customer care is useless and hopeless .they keep telling me to try another dealer ,this is the second dealer I have been to still not fix .2 times to first dealer and once to second dealer
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 PM

I had mine replaced because of the unit freezing up as well. Not only did they replace it but they said they relocated it. To me, this means they know its a problem with the orignal setup. I dont know how long or hard of a job it is but they said they had to take the dash out to do it. Hope that helps
Old 08-12-2005, 10:12 PM

Yes it is a problem im getting ready to replace mine and relocate it. you must remove the dash and hvac housing
Old 08-13-2005, 07:41 AM

fif sensor

by replaceing it did dodge correct the problem with the fin sensor or are we just replaceing it a new one that will go bad again . relocating it is a fix to me as far changing location but same product
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Kully, give a holler to LOWCO..he has had the sensor replaced on his and he seems to know quite a bit about it. I'm still feuding with Dodge on mine....
good luck
Old 08-15-2005, 02:50 PM

I also have been fueding with dodge custormer care and 2 dealers on same problem started last year under warranty than winter came and same problem this year thought it was fix . now I have 52000 on truck same problem and they all told me to basicly to shove it and pay dealer, wants over $500 to install $22 fin sensor. and I am not sure if that is the problem but everbody that has a o3 on this site has had same problem and all lean towards fin sensor
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM

When you talk about A/C freezing up. Do you mean: You can hear the fan going but very little cold air is coming out. This is what happen to me. I was going down the highway about 65 mph and the outside temperature was about 90 had the A/C on high for about 2 hours and then it happen fan was on high and very little cold air was coming out. I turn off the A/C for 5 minutes and then back on and it worked just fine for about 30 minutes and it did it again. I took it to the dealer and of course they could not fine anything wrong with it.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 PM

YEP.Freezing up.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:55 PM

yes that is exactly what happens never around town only on long trips dealers do not know what is wrong . they want me to bring it in when problem happens . I said it takes about 2 hours on open road for it to happen. kind of hard to do. but fin sensor to replace it is about 6.5 to 7.5 hours for job .dealer said the hole dash has to come out not just part of it but whole thing. scary now it looks like over $600 to fix. hope this is it do not know what else to do.this sucks. from what I see on this site looks like only the 2003s are having trouble
Old 08-15-2005, 07:09 PM

First if they'd call STAR.Tech assistance line they'd get filled in on the skinny of the problem.Second taking the dash LOOSE and pushing it back in a 3rd generation is NOT that BIG of a hooray.Warranty probably pays about 2.8 or so.Customer pay work is warranty flat rate times 120%.Thats all Chiltons and motor manual pays.Its NOT 6.0 hours.Ask THEM were they come up with their time? Just had mine done the other day.Tech did TWO and finished up the 2nd one right after he came back from lunch.Print THIS and go talk to the service manager!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM

I am out of warranty this comes out of my pocket. I ask for the flat rate charge and was told fin sensor was not to be found only evaporator removal he could find . but siad dash and hvac housing must be removed big job . I can not get straight answer from these dealers .that is why I hope somebody has had this done and has shop time so at least I know p/s service manager look up on star web and no tsb so he said he will email them and for me to call him tomorrow afternoon for hopefully a answer from star by then hounddog are you saying 3.36 hours for job
Old 08-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Not EVERTHING is a TSB.The fin temp sensor is NOT a TSB.But STAR is aware as they are about MANY things that there is no TSB'S on. 4.0 tops is probably fair. I bet DASH R&R and replace(transfer ALL parts etc is only about 1.8 or 2.0 etc.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:48 PM

hounddog the dealer is under the impression that the evaporator has to come out to install new fin sensor and relocate it to stars new measurments. which means evac and refill system . is the fin sensor just under the hvac housing
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Well dealer is wrong.Once dash pulled back on the pass side you can see the little bugger and were its pluged in etc.Obvisouly they never done a evaporator in one or they would know how its done.Their charging for not being experienced.You need a tech that does this kinda repair at least on a weekly or bi weekly basis.Then they are not so fast to throw out the I WANT A ZILLION HOURS to do such and such.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:30 PM

hounddog I just herd back from my dealer he said that the fin sensor will take according to warranty time 5.5 hours , and because star did not post anything about evaporator freeze up and the fin sensor relocating problem a year ago when this all started, that star said they will eat 1/3 repair time and the dealer will also match 1/3 time .I will pay other 1/3 time about $200 give or take . this problem started a year ago when I had just 36700 miles on truck,700 over warranty. at that time according to my dealer if star would of had posts he would of extended warranty to cover all ,so this is the best they can do. so it goes in 8/30 for repair I will post all results as to problem beening fix or not . star gave them new measurments for relocating new fin sensor p/s truck now has 53000 miles

Quick Reply: 2003 a/c fin sensor