3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2 days shy of 3 month, truck is here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days shy of 3 month, truck is here!

I took possession of my new truck on Tuesday the 16th. Ordered on September 18th.

This truck is AWESOME! ;D

Before the truck came in, I gave my salesman (Butch) in writing 2 things I wanted done while the truck was being prepped. You guys probably know exactly what they are:

1. Check all fluids, especially the differentials, because they are almost always low.

2. Check for tape instead of body plugs on outside bottom of cab.

When the truck came in, first thing I asked was did they check those items. Butch said, let go talk to the Tech who prepped the truck. We did, and I asked him 3 times if he had personally check the differentials. All 3 times he said "yes" he personally check them. I didn't even ask about the body plugs.

Anyway, the next night when I was putting on the nerf bars, I see tape, no rubber plugs! So now I questioning the differential fluid levels. I check the rear and can't get anything to register on my finger. I check the front and can barely get my finger to touch the fluid.

Next day, I call Butch, he informs Service Manager, I go back down the following day and have 1 pint put in the front differential and 2 pints put in the rear!

The service manager had the Supervisor of the Tech perform the work. He told me that he had him do it so he could take care of the Tech who failed to check them, and lied to me.

As far as the truck goes, I can't say enough about it. I miss the White Obsession, my 99, but this truck is awesome. I don't miss the noise or the manual transmission!

Yes, I have the smell from the engine compartment while idling, but according to others that will go away in 5 to 10K.

The ride, steering, power and 48RE are great! I'll have to get a box when the dust settles on them.

And I just love the looks of the Duelly!

By the way, I named it "Ghost Rider". Pictures to follow after I get all the accessories on.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:55 AM

Re:2 days shy of 3 month, truck is here!

I was wondering what happened to you since the rail car arrived ;D. Thought you went for a ride a forgot where home was :. I have the tape also, should we have plastic plugs in the holes on the bottom? I thougt that was cheesy myself in a 40 grand truck . Congradulations again and please advise on the plugs.....
Old 12-22-2003, 02:38 AM

I did go for a ride! ;D I've got over 600 miles on it already! I have been busy putting accessories on, and getting accessories on. More are coming, I'll post pictures after it is all decked out, probably in February.

My understanding is that the plugs are suppose to be rubber. My dealer is ordering some for me and will call when they get in.

Make sure you check your differentials. Both of mine were low.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:39 AM

Big Bob,
Welcome to the realm of the quiet Cummins! Sorry to hear about your experience with the dealer. I had a similar one that completely soured what should have been an enjoyable experience. But the truck itself has been great for just over a year now. I'm sure you will enjoy yours .

The Boss Hog
(Ye old Navy saying "If you want it done right, do it yourself.&quot
Old 12-22-2003, 08:16 AM

Congrats on getting your truck.

About the plug thing, I got tape too, and for me, they are giving me the run-around on trying to order it. I gave them the part #, and they keep telling me that if it came from the factory with tape, it's suppose to be tape. I told them to run the VIN and check and you will see it is suppose to be plugs, but they haven't called me back on that yet...lucky for them I've been so darn busy to follow up....
I'll get there though...eventually.

Anyhow, again, Congrats!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:46 AM

Like to hear their reply, please keep us informed.