3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

07' Engine and Tranny info...........

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
db

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that DC is going to make a hybrid diesel Ram that'lle get 25+ mpg with a 20 KVA clean air generator. DO THAT FIRST - then give me.........
that with a 6 Speed auto with double OD., 19.5" wheels , VGT turbo,V5 hitch & MEGA cab long bed dually that tows a rated 19,300 lbs. with 4.56 gears.

The 6.7 sounds great as does the Aisen(sp) tranny but DC said it was comming out with a hybrid diesel a year ago I'm still waiting. The hybrid drive combined with the existing 5.9 will give as much or more hp than the 6.7 will. Of coarse the 6.7 w/ the hybrid would be aok also.

db
Old 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by staarma
Not me, I want gutwrenching HP and TQ. If I wanted mileage I would buy a Jetta TDI.
Exactly. I'm not in it for the fuel mileage. It's a truck.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 PM

I want it all
Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 AM

Give me 350+ HP and 650+ TQ "at the wheels" with better fuel economy...... uh, yeah! If DC did do that........they would mop-up on sales. I guess they'll start out easy and build their way up on HP. If it follows the trend, It'll probably start out with good MPG's and go down from there.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 AM

My 03 gets better mileage towing (by 3 or 4 mpg easily)then my stock(or after mods)then my 93 did any day of the week.I'm happy!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Would love to see the 6.7 with tier programming. One mode for maximizing fuel economy and the other for maximum power for towing.

MikeyB
Old 11-23-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke S
I can't believe it, I am dumbfounded. The guys who mod the heck out of their trucks for more power, don't want it right from the factory? Whatever they do you guys want the oposite.
To me, a new vehicle should be a "blank canvas" that expresses the desires of the artist. That keeps the after market guys in business. Hot rod rules.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:41 PM

really, how many thousands of $$ is it going to cost on the sticker to get an 8,000lb truck with brick wall aerodynamics that puts down 650+++ tq to get 5mpg better?! it's going to be a long time before you make the price of the technology up with the mileage. you can pick up a used civic and get 35-40mpg all day long for less than 10k...or spend a load of money on a hybrid and get a few over 50mpg. just doesn't add up.
yeah there's things that dodge could do better but mileage?? we're already getting better mileage and putting down more reliable power than anyone else, i don't see any reason for that hybrid BS on a TRUCK. go get yourself a Honda 'truck' if that's the kind you want to drive

there are a lot more pressing issues that would actually be USEFUL to address.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
really, how many thousands of $$ is it going to cost on the sticker to get an 8,000lb truck with brick wall aerodynamics that puts down 650+++ tq to get 5mpg better?! it's going to be a long time before you make the price of the technology up with the mileage. you can pick up a used civic and get 35-40mpg all day long for less than 10k...or spend a load of money on a hybrid and get a few over 50mpg. just doesn't add up.
yeah there's things that dodge could do better but mileage?? we're already getting better mileage and putting down more reliable power than anyone else, i don't see any reason for that hybrid BS on a TRUCK. go get yourself a Honda 'truck' if that's the kind you want to drive

I think what you are missing here is some people don't have to have 650+ tq I love being able to pull a 8000# trailer up hills at 70+ mph, but if I could give up 150lbs. tq. & 100 hp. & add 5-7 mpg. I would consider it. As far as hybrids go I think alot of R&D to be done there yet, but could you imagine, the diesel Jetta gets around 50mpg as is, a hybrid version probably 70-90???
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Just buy a used MPG econo box as a daily driver.I've ALWAYS had another vehicle to drive other then my 2500/3500 towing/hauling trucks.My 03 just turned 20k! Yet I've driven MY OTHER vehicle about a 1000 miles a month and I'm retired.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:28 PM

Hey, somebody who is a member at TDR go over to their third gen forum and set em straight about this. Sombody copied my first post but added another sentence to it at the end about the exact power levels. Give em a link to here if somebody doesn't mind.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Very cool, could be a 2nd Cummins in my drive in 08 or 09 (when mine is paid for and i start my next career).

No replacement for displacement, unless its boost.

But........

More displacement + more boost = Much More Better Than Good!
Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesboro
But you haven't said anything about all of the new air pollution controls for '07 to meet the super stringent emission limits for diesels that come into effect for the '07 model year? Will this thing have a particulate trap? What is DC doing for NOX emissions, selective catalytic reduction with a urea tank that needs to be refilled?
I was wondering the same. When reading the first post, the letters EGR kept appearing in my head for some reason.

Luke, I know you probably don't have this answer yet, but I'm wondering how different it's going to be from the current 5.9 as far as emissions go.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not too keen on the idea of taking the long-stroke 5.9L and making it a mega stroker motor to turn it into a 6.7L. The 6.7 has the same bore as the 5.9, just a massive 5.20" stroke Piston speeds will be getting up there and all reciprocating component balance becomes more critical for smooth operation. Crank angles would be pretty high, increasing side loading on the cylinder walls, unless the block will have a higher deck (I doubt it). Given the choice of the 5.9 or the 6.7 I'd rather stick with the 5.9.

Vaughn
Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd

The HYBRID is not going to be sold as a higher mileage vehichle, but as a work truck with remote power for the job site.

Give me more power with the option to reprogram for towing and a 6 speed auto with the built in generator and I'm IN

Quick Reply: 07' Engine and Tranny info...........