3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

03 ac not working on pass side!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this can help someone

We had both of these problems on our 2003 the a/c freezing happen in the first year took it in a few times and they couldn't find anything wrong. One day it happen and I went stright to the dealer and they checked it out right then and there they were able see the problem and fix it.(sorry don't remember what they replaced ) But it was covered under our warrany and ON 7/10/06 our a/c started to blow hot air on the right but cold on the left took it in and it was cover on the extened warranty so they replaced the 4885206-AB ACTUATOR & 55055960-AA LINE A/C hope this can help someone the dealer is Moss Dodge in Riverside, Ca
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump, Back to the top. Can't let this thread slide through the cracks.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 AM
ck1

I will have to say this is normal dodge....My first power wagon (89) and my three previous chrysler trucks (92,94 and now my 03) would do the same thing and I will say at least chrysler is consistant!!...told me that normal ac temps are 10-15below ambiant temp.(yes when it was 100 out 80 was accpetable back then PER chrysler)...i asked what about that pass side blowing warmer than the ds....stated to me by chrysler rep....NORMAL...I just laughed.....so...I will say that keeping a good charge (and it shouldnt leak but it does for some reason!) makes the best fix....my 03 did it three times under warranty and so far it has remained ok for the last year....each time they would recharge....( i did add a little more than recommened this last time and maybe that is why it is still working???)...I know that is not the best for the system but for crying out loud....IT HAS BEEN FREAKING HOT LATELY!!!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56 PM

My previous Dodge trucks and vans including current 1998 ac worked or works fine EXCEPT FOR MY 03!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 PM

My truck goes in tomorrow along with all this information we have collected. Maybe the dealer will figure it out????
Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 AM

Bet not.Design issue not a TECH ISSUE but post what happens and results etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
Bet not.Design issue not a TECH ISSUE but post what happens and results etc.
If it was a design issue I would think all trucks would be doing it. Most of the 3rd gen Ram owners that I know do not have A/C problems.
Take it a A/C shop that knows what their are doing. Most dealerships don't.
That's why I do my own A/C work.

MikeyB
Old 08-01-2006, 07:55 AM

So far the OTHER few I've been in or TALKED to that they said DID not have a problem DID have a problem ONCE they took some temp readings or someone sat on the pass side and then compared side to side.BEEMO on one of HIS posts more or less implied THAT D.C. was AWARE and some SLIGHT changes were made in 06 before he froze up after someone I believe told him to leave the issue alone.I had SPOOLER check his and same deal.Thats what got HIM started.Design or engineering issue whatever.I don't think the AC units will get repaired until eaither a TSB or memos from STAR(tech assistance) I personally think they hope we will stop complaining.I think its a MONEY issue.Star has been saying 12 DEGREES differance from left to right is NORMAL since late 03.I guess the BLAST of HOT air after a stop and start in traffic is ok for DR Z as he is NOT on the pass side in his commericals.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only time I see a temp differential between the driver/passenger side is when the vent is set to outside air. And especially during hard acceleration. Believe to be caused by the A/C compressor clutch disengaging near WOT and also some heat transfer from the aftercooler to the condenser at low speeds.

Don't notice it when the A/C is set to recirc.

Wonder if a pusher fan mounted to the front condenser and relayed with the A/C clutch would help in these situations.

MikeyB
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM

Hounddog, Yeah, you got me going. Just wind me up and off I go like the energizer bunny. I have been to busy to do alot here lately. I will get to it this week, I hope.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM

MikeyB - This is what I have seen also. The temp swing on the passenger side only happens during hard acceleration in fresh (NOT recirc). Its hot today here in Detroit, so I'm going to try to run this on an 04.5 diesel.

Actually I believe the AC compressor is staying on and that is hurting the system as the suction side of the comprssor pulls way down and thus the evaporator.

More to come.....
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM

beem0- my temperature swing is with recirc ON.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Mine and my neighbors is NOT on hard accel.Normal taking off from a red light in heavy traffic etc.By NO means HARD ACCEL. The temp can be withen a couple degrees of even(temp is not great even then,About 10 degrees warmer then my 1998 1500 in same conditions) then at a stop pass side will rise to about 10 degrees warmer.Start off and it will go 20 PLUS degrees warmer pass side(don't need a thermometer to tell you its warm/hot air) then will start to come down as you drive to finally even out withen a few degrees of drivers.The other truck that I was told OH MINES OK I noticed from pass side.One his ac was cooling poor and after a red light and starting off it was like **** yours too! Then in a e/mjail I asked or mentioned it to SPOOLER and he came back with same crap.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Mine does the exact same thing as Hounddog's. And just to be clear it does it not just on hard accel but also on normal to soft accel. from stop.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:19 PM

Beemo, O.K. How far are you willing to help???? I finally put the gauge set on my truck tonight. BOY WHAT A SURPRISE. No wonder the darn thing dosen't cool worth a crap. I now know why for 06' they changed the orifice tube and optimized the fan. The High side is way way way to High. I fired my truck up cold, haven't driven it all day. The High side shot up to 450 PSI witin a minute and held. The low side was around 55-60 PSI. Please answer this question. If we get the new High side line from the condenser to the firewall will we get the new 06' orifice tube???? Is the old line superceeded? I just fired the truck up. It wasn't even at operating temp and the condensor would just about burn your hands. Help, Help, Help Beemo. The MAX my Snap-on gauge set will read is 500 PSI. If I was a tech I would be looking for a restriction or clogged orifice.

Quick Reply: 03 ac not working on pass side!