3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Reliability Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability Upgrades

Hey guys, just kinda making a list of good things to change or upgrade in the 6.7 to increase reliability. I'm not after huge numbers, I'm just trying to make my engine last for as long as possible with as few as possible problems. So far I have deleted the EGR/EGR cooler with a Sinister EGR delete, am using a Smarty J67-ME set on SW:1, and did a DPF/Downpipe delete with an MBRP exhaust. What are other good things to do to increase the reliability of our diesels? I am going to do the GDP CCV filter reroute to keep oil off the turbo, and was possibly thinking of a new intake horn to get rid of the stock throttle valve that I still haven't deleted. I know they make just throttle valve deletes, but I think I'd rather just start fresh with a new intake horn instead. Like I mentioned, I'm not into making huge numbers, 500-550 HP would be the furthest I'd ever feel comfortable with, I don't have enough money to be throwing it into the 68RFE. I've heard that our stock turbo can be problematic, what are some good upgrades to the turbo that won't have me replacing head gaskets and putting in studs? I like the engine brake, but not having one wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I'm just trying to make my truck as reliable as possible.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You are on the right track.

Get a GDP MK2+big line kit while your at it. Extra fuel filtration is always a pluss.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a GDP intake horn. Gets rid of that egr valve, more flow, and has 8 ports for gauges, injectables etc.
What trans? auto or 6spd manual? If manual, do a southbend dd clutch and hydraulics kit. Huge difference in performance, and you're eliminating our weak link.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Sounds like ur well on ur way, Not really any turbo mods you would just have to change it out. Other mods you might look into would be larger tranny pan and diff pans for more fluid capacity. You still might want to consider head studs if you plan on turning the power up to the 500-600 range you mentioned. Just some ideas for you.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! Yea, I'm thinking an intake horn and CCV reroute is in order in a couple weeks. Sadly, I have an automatic. Wish it was a manual a lot of times.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Any recommendations for intake horns? I notice GDP has several options, I like the S3 option since it eliminates the throttle valve at the same time.

So my current to-do list is:

1. CCV reroute
2. GDP intake horn (S3?)
3. GDP MK2+big line kit

Any others that should be a high priority to bullet-proof this thing? What about a cold air intake?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM

What about combining a GDP MK2 + big line kit with an aftermarket fuel/water separator? Is this too much draw for the stock pump to push fuel through an after market separator (FASS/AirDog), then the stock fuel filter (which I realize also separates water), and then finally the 2 micron GDP MK2? I would just hate to get this stuff on there and then find out my stock pump is starving the engine of fuel because of all the filters I'd be trying to run my fuel through.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:22 PM

Head Studs are a must do, before you doing a head gasket. The 6.7 with the VGT turbo runs inherently high drive pressures. If you do do studs before you loose a head gasket it will save you time, money, and hassle. In my opinion that's the first thing a guy should do...