3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Beta Smarty S67

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on how aggressive you were going to go, EGT and Boost would be a good start. The more power you want out of it, the more you need to monitor such as fuel pressures etc. But those 2 should cover about 90% of what you are after.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not planning on hotrodding or racing. Only for trailer towing assistance, and hopefully better fuel mileage.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Where would a person go to get this kind of equipment installed?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Chapter President

I would have to do some digging. But there are many members here in your state that could suggest a reputable shop to install these items closer to home. The options to purchase gauges is endless, as are the mounting locations and that is personal preference. Some searches here would probably give you an idea of that ahead of time. I had a post myself on overhead installs and guys put up some very nice pictures.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM

I thought Marco stated once before that it "seemed" as though the 6.7 made more TQ for a given HP gain than the 5.9 did? If so, it's a little more than double the HP!!

Shawn
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM

Bob stated a while ago that Marco had the torque at 3x the HP but had to dial it down because it was killing transmissions and drivelines left and right.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 PM

The gauge pods I have seen are all 3 gauges for the pillar mount.
Boost ranges from 0-35, or 0-60. Which one?
EGT's go from 0-1500, or 0-2400. Which one?
What would be a good 3rd choice for the gauge pod?
I have been looking at some gauges from a company in NJ called GlowShift. Anyone use these, or heard of them?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Everyone has their own opinion on gauges but I personally prefer Pricol over any other brand, with the EV2 line of ISSPro being a close second. They almost perfectly match the OEM gauge clutster both in the face and numbers but also in nighttime backlighting. Both DiPricol and ISSPro both have outstanding reputations as well. Since the Smarty tunes affect the Rail Pressure, I would suggest that for a third gauge, or perhaps a fuel lift pump pressure. If you don't plan on an aftermarket turbo, the 0-35psi boost gauge is fine. You might see EGTs over 1500 degrees if you tow heavy but 2400 degree gauges are overkill. The DiPricol pyro goes to 1600 degrees and the EV2 goes to 1500. You could probably get by with a 1500 degree pyro since you won't hardly ever go over 1500 degrees and if you are, it's time to back the truck down (which is the whole point of having the gauge, to know when it is time to ease off).

Another option is to buy a digital gauge monitor and supplement it with any analog gauges you might prefer. Some examples of the digital gauge monitors that you can look into are the Edge Insight, the MSD Dashhawk, the Bully Dog Watchdog, and the Quadzilla Scout. These are not power adders but are just OBD-II based monitors. You can monitor your boost, EGTs, fuel pressure, intake air temperature, engine load %, real time MPG, etc etc etc with something like this. Then, if there are any other parameters you would like to monitor that the digital package doesn't offer, you can buy analog gauges for that.

Personally, I am running an Edge Insight with the thermocouple for it. I read my EGTs, boost, intake air temperature, engine load %, etc. with it. When it comes to reading fuel, i'd prefer an analog gauge so I have plans for installing a fuel pressure gauge and rail pressure gauge as well. With just those 2 analog gauges and the Edge Insight, i should be able to monitor just about any parameter I can think of.

Here are some links for you to check out:

Gauge Mounting solutions
Overhead (available in 2, 3, or 4 gauge mounts; the link is for the 4-gauge pod): http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....mber=GM-18-018
SRT-10 pillar (in case you have only 1 oddball gauge and still want to retain your grab handle): http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....-DG-ZL39TL2-AA
Steering Column (available in 1 or 2 gauge mounts): http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=GM-DG-15014
Dash Mount (available in 2 or 3 gauge mounts): http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=GM-DG-15020
Interior Trim Paint (this is the factory taupe color that our pillars and overheads are so you can paint some of these to match; I don't know where to find interior trim paint that matches the gray interior, wish i did): http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....BP-05010128-AA

Different Analog Gauges
Pricol Gauges: http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=73
ISSPro EV2 Gauges: http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=197

Digital Gauge Monitors
Edge Insight: http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=81&pvk=247
MSD Dashhawk: http://www.dashhawk.com/
Bully Dog Watchdog: http://www.bullydog.com/product/inde...uct_detail/290
Quadzilla Scout (this hasn't been released for the 6.7L Cummins yet but I have spoken with Quadzilla and it is only a week or two out): http://www.quadzillapower.com/produc...ex.cfm/p/Scout
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Chapter President

I have also been considering SPA Gauges as well for a crossover from a monitoring module and a stand alone gauge.

SPA Dual Gauges.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
These tests eliminates some of the personal bias about gauges.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/EGT_EVAL.pdf
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM

So, I'm guessing that the Watchdog and probably all the others require a separate probe to be installed in the exhaust system. Correct? It doesn't say that on the Bullydog website. For those that are running the watchdog, what do you think, and if a person was to get a watchdog, or some similar digital readout type device, why the need for an analog gauge?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Harvie
These tests eliminates some of the personal bias about gauges.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/EGT_EVAL.pdf
Good read, thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Glasshog
So, I'm guessing that the Watchdog and probably all the others require a separate probe to be installed in the exhaust system. Correct? It doesn't say that on the Bullydog website. For those that are running the watchdog, what do you think, and if a person was to get a watchdog, or some similar digital readout type device, why the need for an analog gauge?
i have no experience with the watchdog but i have had a Bully Dog PMT in the past. The pyro cable was included with it and it was the same standard thermocouple that comes with any analog gauge and most digital monitors. the Edge Insight has their own proprietary thermocouple and will not work with standard pyros (something that aggrevated me when i bought the Insight and had to spend an additional $80 for a pyro to replace the perfectly functional one I already had on the truck). Any digital monitor that offers an EGT reading (other than the ones that give you the readings from the 3 EGT probes located in the exhaust stream of a stock 6.7L) will require a thermocouple be installed. As far as I have been able to gather, the MSD Dashhawk does not have the option to display EGT.

The need for analog gauges when also running a digital monitor is to observe parameters that the digital monitor either doesn't offer or you know to be incorrect. For example, anyone running an MP-8 or Power Puck should have an analog Rail Pressure gauge if they want to accurately monitor rail pressure. Several of the digital monitors display rail pressure, but they get their readings from the ECM. The way the MP-8 and Power Puck get the truck to increase the rail pressure beyond the specified limits is to trick the ECM into thinking the rail pressure is dropping, forcing the ECM to push the rail pressure harder. If you watch the rail pressure readout on a digital monitor with an MP-8 or Power Puck installed, you will see the rail pressure dropping with increased throttle pressure. This is the exact opposite of what is REALLY happening. this is an example of where an analog gauge can augment the digital monitor so you have the best of both worlds. the same can be said if an individual was running a boost fooler on their truck. having an analog gauge with a sensor located directly into the air stream is the only way to accurately monitor boost in that instance, since the boost fooler is tricking the ECM into thinking it is putting out less boost than it is, which will be reflected in the digital monitors boost readings.

i guess the cliffnotes to this would be that if you plan on having a relatively stock truck, a digital monitor can come in quite handy and save you a ton of money. if you plan on heavily modding the truck, you should probably stick to analog gauges, though having analog gauges AND a digital monitor never hurt a thing (except a checking account...lol).
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Yeah , I kinda figured they would have to. The watchdog itself looks to be about $259 @ JEGS. The Pyro Probe Kit from Bully dog is $160. Couldn't find it on JEGS website. I need to call them. I think I'm going to wait just a bit to see what anyone else has to say about the watchdog, before I buy one.
Also, my whole reason for pursuing this is because I want to run a Smarty S67. One won't interfere with the other, will they?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:42 PM

nope. in fact i am running a smarty and Edge Insight myself with no problems. You just have to unplug the insight/watchdog from the OBD-II port when you want to play with the smarty, and plug it back in when you are done.

on a purely personal preference note, i will never do business with Bully Dog again, especially not on the 6.7L. I had a Power Pup for a while and, while it functioned properly, i never liked the way the tunes made the truck drive. it just didn't seem good for the truck. Then, the PMT has been nothing but a disaster and the customer support from Bully Dog has been absurd. The chief programmer for the 6.7L, Bud Kunz, no longer works for Bully Dog and the gossip mill seems to think it has to do with differing opinions about how the 6.7L was being taken careof. The PMT sucks on the 6.7L, plain and simple. Because of all this and the fact that it seems Bully Dog doesn't really care about making it right, i have chosen to swear off Bully Dog products.

The reason I went with the Insight is also because it has more display options than any other monitor out there. I paid right at $385 for the Insight, the thermocouple, and a color-matched dash pod from www.k2dieselperformance.com You might want to check them out and contact them regarding the Watchdog if you are serious about one, as I know K2 is also a Bully Dog distributor. He has good prices and his shipping is WAY fast (like i ordered my Insight on a Tuesday afternoon and it was at my doorstep by lunchtime on that Thursday fast).
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM

BroncoHound- have you tried the s67me programming yet?

Quick Reply: Beta Smarty S67