3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Auto On Exhaust Brake Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ramble bee
Way would you want this? I could see this if you had a Trailer hooked all the time. But just to drive with out anything hooked up I just dont see this being a good thing. But hey what do I know
There a bunch of reasons why you would want to run the truck with the EB on all the time. Mainly for DPF purposes...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up. I've wanted this for a long time.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by txfiremedic
You're not driving a 6.7, running the EB all the time helps prevent unwanted trips to the dealership for turbo cleaning
I understand that, just wondering if the EB on the 6.7 pushes soot into the oil as much as the 5.9? From what I have read most of it probably happens when the EB is on with a cold engine and the rings haven't fully sealed the cylinders off... UOA would tell the story.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ah64id
I understand that, just wondering if the EB on the 6.7 pushes soot into the oil as much as the 5.9? From what I have read most of it probably happens when the EB is on with a cold engine and the rings haven't fully sealed the cylinders off... UOA would tell the story.
Got ya! I Can't answer that, cause I don't do UOA's, I just change regularly!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Got ya! I Can't answer that, cause I don't do UOA's, I just change regularly!!
Jiffy lube will do an uoa for you
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had some BAD experiences with jiffy/quickie lube places and our old company trucks. Stripped transfer case bolts, stripped transmission fluid level bolts, etc. I think I'll take Cummins' advice and change it every 6 months or 7500 miles and not worry about it (at least until the deletes and smarty come along...).
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 AM

OK guys, not trying to be rude, but lets keep this thread on topic so guys that want to do it won't have to search through 10 pages of off topic discussion to get the info they need
Old 09-15-2009, 01:03 PM

This mod would be illadvised to make if you live anywhere near snow. EB on slippery conditions will get you a new truck real fast.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgestang
This mod would be illadvised to make if you live anywhere near snow. EB on slippery conditions will get you a new truck real fast.
That is true. However, if you're concerned then just turn it off instead of having to turn it on... Or don't bother with this modification.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM

thax it works great is awsome
Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Couldn't one use a SPST relay and a prewired relay socket?

Then just wire the resistor to the 87 term wire run?

Relay with 87 term plugged into socket, 15ohm resistor soldiered into wire run from that 87 socket, other end of same wire run to and spliced/soldiered into brown/orange exhaust brake switch wire?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM

Does this mod allow you to turn it off just by punching the button, or is it always on once this is installed?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ShibbyEng.
Does this mod allow you to turn it off just by punching the button, or is it always on once this is installed?
Yes you can turn it off just by punching the button.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used a 0332209161 Bosch/Tyco relay into a HD relay pigtail socket.

Relay socket color coded and prewired:

Yellow 87
Red 87A
Blue 30
White 86
Black 85

I removed the yellow wire and pin end.

I removed the red wire soldiered a 2711102 resistor to female plug then to wire and 2X shrunk wrapped then replaced into plug

I removed blue, white, and black wires and soldiered connections, shrunk wrapped and replaced into plug.

Then I 3X shrunk wrapped for about 4 inches the RED BLUE BLACK AND WHITE wires from the plug into a factory like, extra strong harness.

I then disassmbled the cig lighter switch plug wires and soldiered the white to black yellow and the black to the pink yellow wire, shrunk wrapped both soldiered connections and reasembled the switch, plugging it back into the cig lighter.

Lastly I dissambled the Exhaust brake wiring plug wires soldiering the red to the brown/orange wire and the blue to the violet/brown wire, shrunk wrapped both connections reassembled the switch plug and plugged it back in.

When all done I picked a nice flat space to attach the relay to, through the top holder hole. One self tapping screw and all done. One of the 2 phillips head screws works great also.

If the relay blows simple unplug & replace.. the connections will NEVER COME LOOSE or become corroded.

Just like everything on my truck I build accessories to the same or heavier duty standards...

a couple of bucks and a few mins now
saves hundreds and hours later...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM

You could also run a toggle switch inline on the power feed from the lighter socket to disable the auto-on feature. When it's crappy weather, that could save you the time of pulling the dash face off and unplugging wires/relay. Then when it's nice again, you could flip the switch and have the EB turn itself auto on again.

Nice write-up, BTW. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Auto On Exhaust Brake Mod