3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Are any of you smarty/ dpf guys getting overhead codes on dpf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are any of you smarty/ dpf guys getting overhead codes on dpf?

Have a friend with the Smarty/BADP delete (no sensors, they are mia) that is getting overhead messages to service particulate filter. When returned to stock he gets no codes at all or messages. Only with the Smarty loaded. Has the ME file loaded. truck is an 07. Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had this OHD issue every 3K or so. I just use a code reader and clear the overhead.
From my research on this I believe that the ECM has a built in timer/mileage counter, that is looking for a regen to happen. Since none has taken place the ECM thinks that the DPF is full and needs to be service. I just clear the code and continue on driving the truck. This has occurred since I have installed my Smarty in Aug 09.
Several users have had this same issue and will either use the Smarty to clear the OHD or a code reader. The Smarty and code reader will state that there are no codes present, but just hit erase any way.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jim, thats what I was looking for!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm having that issue with a guy's truck now. The guy's truck was stopped up. His exhaust brake was not enabled. McMopar and I did the deletes with a Smarty and ME. Overhead read PERFORM SERVICE before and after the deletes. The truck was running fine so I told him to ignore it. A few days later it reads PERFORM SERVICE SEE DEALER NOW. I borrow a StarScan and there were no DTC's in the ECM at all. I did three functions that should have reset everything, but only took away the SEE DEALER NOW part. Cleared DTC's with Smarty, even though it said none were present. No change. Set back to stock and reloaded the Smarty. No change. It happened to mine and I updated my Smarty from 15 to 17 software. It went away. Any tech that can chime in and tell me what I may have missed with the StarScan would be most appreciated.

Chris
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ratlratl
I'm having that issue with a guy's truck now. The guy's truck was stopped up. His exhaust brake was not enabled. McMopar and I did the deletes with a Smarty and ME. Overhead read PERFORM SERVICE before and after the deletes. The truck was running fine so I told him to ignore it. A few days later it reads PERFORM SERVICE SEE DEALER NOW. I borrow a StarScan and there were no DTC's in the ECM at all. I did three functions that should have reset everything, but only took away the SEE DEALER NOW part. Cleared DTC's with Smarty, even though it said none were present. No change. Set back to stock and reloaded the Smarty. No change. It happened to mine and I updated my Smarty from 15 to 17 software. It went away. Any tech that can chime in and tell me what I may have missed with the StarScan would be most appreciated.

Chris
------------------
Hey Chris, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I see you have finally "relented" and done some aftermarket "modifications" to that new truck of yours!!

And you told me you were NOT going to do that to your new truck!

Anyway,.....I'm proud of you Buddy!

--------
John_P
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Back at ya' John. READ POST #82. I'm real lucky to be so busy, hope all is good with you sir.

Chris
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Well,....a late CONGRATULATIONS to you Chris!! Now,...you are "hooked" again!!

Everything is well here with me, thanks for asking. Glad everything is going good up your way buddy!

-------
John
Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Chris
UPDATE: PERFORM SERVICE reset. Turn key on, press and release brake pedal twice, then accelerator pedal fully twice (within ten seconds) turn off key. May take two tries.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does this do. with the brake and the diesel pedal?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Around 60,000 miles a preset warning will come on your overhead saying PERFORM SERVICE and chime each time you start the truck. The two brake and two accelerator are what resets that so it will go away.

Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Guys I have been away for awhile the PFS is a crank case filter. You can try thr brake 2 and gas 2 to reset but I say you need a new Filter.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Oh sure, you definately need to change a full filter at it's proper interval. The last few comments are to prevent the needless lubrication of the parts in the intake track. Also to make the filter last much much longer. My truck has 46k on it and I pulled the intake hose to work on blocking off the CCV port for another guy's truck. There was a nice black film on the blades and the entire opening of the turbo. Looks to me that if I were to actually wait for my PERFORM SERVICE light to come on at it's pre-determined time it would already be too late. These are the first Cummins/Dodge products to come with a sealed CCV system. A good idea for the whole cleaner emissions idea of reintroducing all vapors and unburned exhaust matter back into the motor. The problem is all the wet stuff that coats the walls and doesn't make it through to the combustion chamber between the CCV filter's service interval.

Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Oh sure, you definately need to change a full filter at it's proper interval. The last few comments are to prevent the needless lubrication of the parts in the intake track. Also to make the filter last much much longer. My truck has 46k on it and I pulled the intake hose to work on blocking off the CCV port for another guy's truck. There was a nice black film on the blades and the entire opening of the turbo. Looks to me that if I were to actually wait for my PERFORM SERVICE light to come on at it's pre-determined time it would already be too late. These are the first Cummins/Dodge products to come with a sealed CCV system. A good idea for the whole cleaner emissions idea of reintroducing all vapors and unburned exhaust matter back into the motor. The problem is all the wet stuff that coats the walls and doesn't make it through to the combustion chamber between the CCV filter's service interval.

Chris
----------------
Good post Chris!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Thanks John!

It certainly opened my eyes and I hope sharing it opens some more. Now seeing what I see it makes me wonder for all the guys who have had lots of issues if this wasn't some of the cause.

Chris
Old 01-14-2010, 02:22 AM

Ok where is the crank case filter?

Quick Reply: Are any of you smarty/ dpf guys getting overhead codes on dpf?