3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Your 6" lift is nothing check this out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wondered this. What are these guys using for steering? Not the stock box I hope? Isn't it all hydraluc driven when their sitting up that big with those meats?

Thanks for the explanation D.Wiggs, I couldn't figure out why it kept taking me to the imageshack homepage.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
I've always wondered this. What are these guys using for steering? Not the stock box I hope? Isn't it all hydraluc driven when their sitting up that big with those meats?

Thanks for the explanation D.Wiggs, I couldn't figure out why it kept taking me to the imageshack homepage.

hydraulic steering....

AND.......i liked it better with the smaller tires and alcoas....too much stuff now......
Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darrenb
hydraulic steering....

AND.......i liked it better with the smaller tires and alcoas....too much stuff now......
I agree, I think after that it is a little over the top, cool but not too practical..

Shane
Old 02-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Its All Good
All that talk about the axles, what mods did this guy make to the motor and trans to turn those tires. Still very nice EYE CANDY....
they have 6.72 gars a straight 6 4.0L could push those (granted not fast but it would) a stock cummins would have no problems w/ those, but like said earlier thats a nice truck for a show truck, part wise the guy did it right and that hydro steering is a little iffy for the road, you lose or get a hole in the hose your screwed
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hintz
they have 6.72 gars a straight 6 4.0L could push those (granted not fast but it would) a stock cummins would have no problems w/ those, but like said earlier thats a nice truck for a show truck, part wise the guy did it right and that hydro steering is a little iffy for the road, you lose or get a hole in the hose your screwed

Actually it looks like "hydraulic assist" steering to me. I think the drag link from the pitman arm is visible in one of those pictures? So it's probably a little safer/more responsive than pure hydraulic steering....I think?

However, I do wonder what would happen if you lost a hose - if that piston goes dead for any reason, as stated above, I think you'd be screwed? I dont think the gearbox would be strong enough keep control of the steering, since it would be fighting the piston that doesn't want to move? Anyway, I guess my point is that I dont see how hydraulic assist steering is street legal (knowing pure hydraulic steering is NOT legal most places).
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Wow!

I had no idea that those pics of my truck at Keldermans web site would generate so much discussion.

The truck is MY daily driver. Not a show truck. Not a Corporate sponsored truck. I wanted to see what kind of truck I could turn the Dodge into, and got a little carried away.
Just about everything on the truck has been modified to not only handle the tire and wheel combonation ( 20"x14" Stazworks two piece wheels w/ 52" Michelin ZXL's) but also the 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axles. Each tire and wheel combination weighs aprox. 500lbs.
The steering is hydraulic assist. Could never have made it work without help from Tom @ PSC.
The wheels have double internal beadlocks. Each Rockwell axle has a Detroit Locker in it to aid in the traction.

The list of engine mods. is a little too long to lay out here. At present time we are estimating 500 + horsepower and well over 1100 ft. lbs. torque. Sorry for the estimate, but it's too big to fit on the dyno anymore. The last mod for the engine, that I'm waiting on at this time is a set of twins from my friends @ B.D.Power along with their aftermarket intercooler.
Like I said, I drive this on the street. When I built it I took special pains to have it not exceed the maximum width to be street legal.
The truck has a registered GVW of 12,500 lbs. Anything in Nevada that exceeds 10,001 lbs., puts it in the commercial truck category, eliminating it from the standard lift laws that apply to most raised pick-ups. It still needs to be built safely.
Anyhow, it's kind of fun to pull up to a stop light next to a Ford or a Chevy and have them look over at the truck thinking that it cant be fast if it's that big, have the light turn green, put the pedal down, feel the Detroit Locker do it's thing and "SMOKE" a set of 52" Michelins. When I get to the next light, and they ask me "What's in that thing?", I just tell them that it's a six cylinder Cummins Diesel!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM

I am not worthy...I am not worthy!!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Big truck, small........???
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Well oil changes must be easy
Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cquestad
I am not worthy...I am not worthy!!!!!
WOW!!!

Shane
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM

That is sick
Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 AM

i think the reason hydraulic assist steering remains legal is because you are still retaining the factory return-to-center feature of the steering box which is key......i think......
Old 02-17-2007, 03:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luvnacumns

Here is the side and rear

Well, the truck LOOKS freakin' killer!!!!! Probaly rides like crap, but who cares????

I wouldn't do it to my truck, but then again, ALOT of people would not do the things we do to our trucks
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM

its got rockwels under it. They came from the military 2.5 ton trucks. Probably are plenty strong. But they look tiny under that monster
Old 02-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Probaly rides like crap, but who cares????
he's riding on airbags, so it probably rides better than YOUR truck!

later, dustin

Quick Reply: Your 6" lift is nothing check this out!!!