3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

X2 / Commander Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow X2 / Commander Install

Its suppose to be here tomorrow would like some helpful hints on install i.e tools tricks etc. This is my first mod to the truck so i am hoping for a painless install. went with the X2 b/c of more options over the smarty jr hopefully i made a good choice. TIA
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM

This is from memory so give me a break. I believe the trans and fuel pressure sending unit must ground ,so be careful with the teflon tape. The wire going to these sender should not go to ground therefore use the fiber washer. On the fuel pressure sender I had to start the nut with the wire on the sender and then install the sender and then tighten the nut( I kept droping the nut). The wire for the trans is kind of short and must be routed above the trans and drop down on the othe side.

Have you decided how to mount the Commander? are you using the pillar mount or some place else. I used the double sided tape and mounted the Commander In the view of the state inspection ( so it would not block any view) and with my poor eye sight I need it closer.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM

I was real **** about installing mine so I asked a bazillion questions here about it. Good answers but without seeing the commander and instructions it didn't make sense. Once you get everything and lay it out you will understand. Only issues was getting thru the firewall, directions showed a rubber plug that I never found and getting the new bolt started on my pillar mount took some words to get started. Make sure you get the plugs on right on the motor and if you have a "chip" make sure you put the chip and your truck info into the commander before you actually start your truck, it will save CEL and codes!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
EDR

The guys have pretty much covered the installation, it's pretty straight forward. The only thing I would add is about routing the cable through the firewall. I don't like cutting through the existing rubber boots/seals, it always makes me a bit nervous about future water leaks, wire chaffing, etc.

Anyway, another member had mentioned going through the large black plastic cover plate that I think is used for the clutch for those trucks with manual trannys. It's about 4"-5" wide and looks like a diamond with the top and bottom points cut off, and is mounted with two large bolts that can be accessed from the interior. I found a grommet that fit the thickness of the cover plate and was large enough to pass the wire loom and connectors through - with a bit of stretching. I cut my hole, installed the grommet and then wrapped electrical tape around the wire loom where it passed through the grommet to take up the last bit of slop. It worked great.