3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why No Side Mirror Turn Signals??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Why No Side Mirror Turn Signals??

Every truck manufacturer is installing, as an OEM option, of having the turn signal INCORPORATED into the side mirrors. I really like the look and function of it.

Why doesn't Dodge offer it?
Anyone do a NICE aftermarket setup?

This is all I found....

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/69A3202A0A0.aspx
http://www.muthco.com/products/kits/220-0192.htm

Has anyone installed either kit, if so, any pics or comments?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Makes the truck look yuppie.

These ain't no yuppie trucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 AM

Also when you have them flipped up for towing, the arrow would be pointing at the ground.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gipsl67
Also when you have them flipped up for towing, the arrow would be pointing at the ground.
That is a better answer than mine!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At one time I looked into installing LED blinkers on the towing mirrors. Figured out it was going to be a pain running the wiring through the assembly so I gave up. Much much easier just mounting blinkers on the fenders ala european style.

MikeyB
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
Every truck manufacturer is installing, as an OEM option, of having the turn signal INCORPORATED into the side mirrors. I really like the look and function of it.

This is all I found....

MOPAR.COM HAS THEM FOR AROUND $500.00. THEY DON'T FLIP,UP, THEY EXTEND OUT. HOPE IT HELPS.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 AM

I added turn signals mid-trailer. I also have elevated signals on my headache rack (LED).

My issue w/Dodge mirrors is I would like a larger convex portion, when flipped up I loose my 44' gooseneck - also would like aftermarket clamp-on add-on - but to date haven't found any.

Anyone ???
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 AM

I thought about adding something like a clearance light to the outer edge only because it would warn the traffic close alongside, almost out-of-view of either the main mirror or the spot mirror, of a lane change. On the outer edge or bottom would be of no real significance with mirror up in the towing position or horizontal in the non-towing position, just a warning indicator. I gave up on that idea because of the hastle running the wiring at the time. Also, I thought it might be more of a distraction and had hoped some aftermarket product would present itself. The factory mirrors that electrically extend out are nice, but a little too pricey and need to have bigger heads and larger spot mirrors.

If you are looking for just the turn indicator as a means of signaling traffic alongside, then the euro type turn indicators or mid-trailer indicators would do a good job. You can get clearance lights that have both the running and turn indication function. If you are looking for something that is up on the truck front you can get those bumper side mounted guides with running lights that help you to locate your front end at night, they offer both the running light and the turn signal indicator light functions depending on how you wire them up. I think I saw them on Stylin' Concepts website, they are called bumper guides.

I installed a lighted headache rack and solved the mid-truck signaling light needs. I am thinking of installing the bumper guides to solve the night time front end clearance issues from the drivers seat as that side is a little difficult to see it's location when things get close.

CD
Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Chapter President

I think if a light was put on the corner where the convex is would work, maybe an extended bulb type so it can be seen on the front and back of the mirror. That way its almost in the same spot with the mirror up or down.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 PM

I really like the Fo#d side mirror lights. They are on the outer corners of the mirrors and work as turn-signals & maker lights. Here is an example:
http://www.reconaccessories.com/Supe...r%20Lenses.htm

Unfortunately, no aftermarket company makes something like that for our trucks...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:47 PM

The other two use those for your safety when you are on the side of the road
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM

Yuppie hell. that's one of the best safety features you can put on a vehicle. The more lights you have to warn people of your intentions, the better off you are. Hence the daytime running lights, if they can see you, they'll know you're there.

And yes, Dodge could easily add the turn signal lamps to the trucks. If they can make the electric mirror know what direction the mirror is in and adjust properly, they can make a second set of lights blink the proper direction when the mirrors ar extended.

Bottom line? Cost. They get away with putting less stuff on their trucks and still sell them for a price comparable to the other brands. Kind of like integrated brake controllers and aux switches you get with a Ford. Some of these ideas are pretty dang good.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM

My dealer put a set of mirrors made by **** http://www.cipausa.com/exendables.htm on before delivery. The size took some time to get used to, but for towing I LOVE them. They are powered, heated, lighted and give back rubs. They also have the RAM logo etched in the glass.

The side marker lights are great, when there's a rice burner along side and I turn on my signal you should see them back off and get out of my way.

I highly recommend them.

BlackJeep
Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pet05

This is all I found....

Dodge doesn't want to be like everyone else. I hope they don't decide to use a V8 diesel just because the other guys do...
Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the mirrors on my truck but I guess turn signals in them wouldn't be a bad idea but it doesnt bother me. I do agree with the integrated brake controller being a good idea I just wish the Ford controller worked better. Maybe Dodge will come out with one that actually has better adjustment and works better.

Quick Reply: Why No Side Mirror Turn Signals??