3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Who makes aftermarket pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes aftermarket pistons

I put a clutch in my budys truck a few weeks ago, he finally got to use the smarty and the edge turned up all the way. After hot rodding nothing bad, we got back to his house and the truck was running rough. Took to a dealer thinking it was an injector (gona get it warrentied), dealer let us know that we lost the whole cylinder number 5. So now my budy is out to find aftermarket pistons and/or a whole rebuild kit. If any one has any information that would be great.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

Did it mess up the cylinder wall at all. Why wont diamler warranty it did they pull the head or scope it? You may be able to just pull the head and oil pan and just hone it if your lucky with the motor still in the truck, and pick up a standard piston to replace it. If the cylinder is real bad and scarred up you will more then likely need to bore it and then sleve it for use off a standard sized piston or just pull all 6 pistons and bore the whole motor and go with oversized lower compression pistons.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 PM

I have read that Arias does. I hope that is good info. Interesting, I was reading on some dragster with a CUmmins recently. I think it was by ATS? Anyway, the complete short block & rotating assembly was all stock parts.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 AM

mahle does also
Old 12-21-2007, 03:28 AM

ouch....that folks is what too much timing does to an engine.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question. I have seen 3 3rd gens with burnt pistons and evey time it was the #5 cylinder.Makes me wonder whats going on? The only thing that makes any sense to me is the stock exhaust manifold looks to be designed in a way that the #5 and #4 gases are opposing each other to get out the exhaust pipe. Anyone else noticing this?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Banned

smarty and edge all the way up? what were the egt's like? seems like a lot of fuel, I hope he can get it fixed and find pistons. here is a link witha bunch on egbay, other stuff in the search as well....... http://motors.search-desc.ebay.com/c...Z1QQsacatZ6028
Old 12-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the help. Haven't got the truck back from the dealer. The reason the dealer won't warrenty is crhysler will send a tech down since this dealer has not done anything like this, he will read the ecm and find the edge may have been on. So we are gona do it our self. The dealer did not pull the head, I think they may have done a blow by test. Im gona look at it when he gets the truck back to see how bad the cylinder is. We didn't have too much timing, smarty was on number 8. The egts never got over 1000 degrees.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by CatDoctor
Thanks for the help. Haven't got the truck back from the dealer. The reason the dealer won't warrenty is crhysler will send a tech down since this dealer has not done anything like this, he will read the ecm and find the edge may have been on. So we are gona do it our self. The dealer did not pull the head, I think they may have done a blow by test. Im gona look at it when he gets the truck back to see how bad the cylinder is. We didn't have too much timing, smarty was on number 8. The egts never got over 1000 degrees.
Weird man. I am pullin' for ya,' hoping it ends up being something little. Super low EGT's.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks, may not know till next weekend. I hope i get to it sooner then that.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

the egt's were so low because the timing was WAY advanced. the heat was still there, just all of it was staying in the cylinder, not in the exhaust.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM

how is my timing way advanced. smarty was on the setting with no timming, the edge was the only one that was advancing timing
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Sounds more like an injector was staying open and burning in the cylinder. I think the 04.5 and up are more prone to this problem. I think a lot of it has to deal with the bowl design and the emissions shot.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CatDoctor
I put a clutch in my budys truck a few weeks ago, he finally got to use the smarty and the edge turned up all the way. After hot rodding nothing bad, we got back to his house and the truck was running rough. Took to a dealer thinking it was an injector (gona get it warrentied), dealer let us know that we lost the whole cylinder number 5. So now my budy is out to find aftermarket pistons and/or a whole rebuild kit. If any one has any information that would be great.
----------------------------------------------------------
CatDoctor:

You can buy Arias Pistons from Scheid Diesel for any of the Dodge Cummins 5.9 Diesel Engines. Scheid Diesel is a dealer for Arias Pistons and has been for awhile now. Their website is: www.scheiddiesel.com or you can call their shops at 1-800-669-1934 (Effingham, Ill.) or 1-800-669-1593 (Terre Haute, Ind.)

--------
John_P
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

Either way you go his warranty will be gone. I doubt the rep. will be able to find anything edge wise, may be able to find smarty program but not likely, if they do they will void the powertrain warranty. If he pulls the vehicle from their facility to work on it himself they will make a note in their computer system vehicle pulled from dealership with motor problems so that the next time it comes in for warranty work he will get hassled like nobodies business and they will refuse to work on it unless another star approved dealer has worked on it and evidence of that would be in stars system. I would let them try and find something its going to be a hit or miss type of deal just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Just deny deny deny.

Quick Reply: Who makes aftermarket pistons