3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Where to put switches for aftermarket lights/accessories ???

Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to put switches for aftermarket lights/accessories ???

Hey guys,

I got two sets of Painless Harness all weather fuse boxes so I can make a harness for all my accessories, but am wondering where to put the switches in the cab? I have a floor 4wd shifter and have that "cubby hole" in my dash under the heater controls. Does someone make a plate for there (i know they make gauge plates) with some nice switches, or just blank so a person can just add their own?

Where else can I mount them to keep them neat looking?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:19 PM

check out my gallery...

I just did basically the same thing, and I mounted 3 switches in the overhead console....In the center, between the lights, in that empty space that looks like it needs a switch....I think thats where a sunroof switch would go....Anyway I mounted 3 switches there, and ran wires for all 3 down the A-pillar and under the dash...I only have 1 switch hooked up to anything, the other wires are capped and hanging ready for the future...Remove the A-pillar with a 10mm socket, remove the visor with a #20 Torx, and use the same torx for the console...Everything else snaps in place...easy to do
Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 AM

This is where I put mine:

Old 11-08-2005, 07:43 AM

Big Bob, I like those switches...they look great!! Where did you source them...pm if you want. thanks ks
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Bob, that's a nice clean set up.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM

Sorry its a crappy camera phone pic, but gets the point across....I kinda wish the switches were lower profile, I may change them later

Old 11-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

If you don't have the factory seat heaters, etc -- you could do something like I did. The first three switches on the left are for lights and are single pole double throw -- three position.

Center position is off on all three. Top position is on for all three sets of lights. One the first two switches, I have fogs and pencil beam lights. If I have either of those switches in the down position, the light set is turned on when I turn my high beams on. The third switch is for fog lights in my rear bumper, or back-up lights. When I turn that one to the down position, the lights illuminate when the truck is in reverse. Of course, everything uses relays, etc, etc.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Oh -- The switches are Eaton 12v illuminated. The plastic plate was purchased from a guy on the TDR for about ten bucks. I think I remember the switches running around $65 for all six. I had to cut the holes for the switches myself. Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 AM

I've got 3 lighted rocker switches in the panel above the brake release. Tight fit, but if you center it correcty there's no interference. Switches are standard stuff 20A that you can get about anywhere. My painless fuse box is mounted on the inside of the knee kick panel that you need to take out to access the underside of the dash (below the steering column).
EGT/boost gauge will put where the cig lighter is located as I don't use it - for aux power I use the one close to the shifter.