3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What up will all the smoke talk?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What up will all the smoke talk?

Sorry to seem like a party pooper but I don't get it. I understand the getting more power thing, but I would rathet have power and as little smoke as possible. Am I missing something?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:33 AM

If you want big power... and you have a big single turbo. You will have smoke. If you want big power without smoke... Get a set of twins that spool quick and a bottle of nitrous.

Alot of guys don't want to spend the cash for a set of twins so we settle for a big laggy single. It takes fuel to get it spooled which makes smoke until it is lit.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree completely, but it seems to be kind of a "look at my diesel" thing. I do the best I can to minimize smoke on the street and rarely ever try to smoke someone or thing out. Don't need that kind of attention or trouble with the law. But with my mods and settings it is more less an option, I can smoke out an intersection if I choose. First time in a while my irritation factor made me do a bad thing. A lawn worker was standing in the street with a leaf blower, blowing trash, leaves, dirt into the traffic. A quick honk did not even phase him. I just slowed down to almost a stop while upping the TST. When I laid into it when I past all I could see was black in the rear view mirrors and then a figure imerge and run for the high ground. I know it is wrong, but gave me and a few others drivers a smile and a better start to the day.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 AM

I understand the getting power thing. If smoke means power great, but it seems like there is a lot of talk lately about just getting smoke regardless of power improvement.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
wap

I a lot of cases smoke means power, not all but a lot, especially with the newer trucks.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ShutupAndHoldOn
I understand the getting power thing. If smoke means power great, but it seems like there is a lot of talk lately about just getting smoke regardless of power improvement.
I agree, and it doesn't make sense to me either. Some like to be the center of attention, but I would rather use the extra power in "stealth mode". I hate to hear people speaking badly of diesels because they are "smoke belching, noisy, stinky environment-wreckers".
Old 11-05-2006, 01:56 PM

For me, I would much prefer to hear the turbo whine than see the black smoke. I don't know why (animal instinct), but hearing a turbo whine hard is very cool
Old 11-05-2006, 01:59 PM

Everyone better get over wanting smoke as the 07.5's are rolling out! They will be dissappointed!

Smoke is cool because in the older days if your truck bellowed black smoke it meant it had a lot of power. As technology changes we have more precise control over the engine and to a point the black smoke is not needed.

I could care less either way, if you like it then get it. If you don't like it there are products that will suit your needs as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 PM

Ramwheels,

im sorry..............

but thats just funny......
Old 11-05-2006, 05:07 PM

LIKE MY DADDY ALWAYS SAID. SMOKE IT IF YOU GOT IT.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 PM

Shutupandholdon, its just a cool thing. I understand why you ask though, My last 4 trucks were Duramaxs all different years and turners, no other mods and they would black out a street if you wanted So it is just what Iam used to.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Well since stock truck's dont smoke if you throw a little of smoke a another diesel its just a sign that your packin heat and they better proceed with caution.

Its just like have gauges on your pillar.

That and you tell me what looks cooler.

A clean burning diesel puller or a super comp puller shooting smoke and flames 200 feet into the air through a hood stack?????

How's that saying go...."If ya gotta ask, you shouldnt ........."?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 PM

I agree with the above comment to me the biggest sign of power is the whine of a bad *ss turbo. Smoke is for the old guys... it used to show power but now it just shows lack of efficiency to much fuel not enough air...

I would want to be known as the guy with the awesome sounding truck not the guy with that horrible diesel that is killing life on the planet and causing global warming.

But it seems most here prefer smoke probably because it is easier to do than twins!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

I also associate sound with power but there's way too many stock straight piped diesels out there. That and 6.0PSD have a great exhaust turbo whistle sound.

I always revome my muffler, sliencer ring, and stock air box on all my truck's and it makes the turbo way loud and sound cool but doesnt do jack for power.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:13 PM

True but the sound of a nice set of twins is sweet music to me.
The truth is that the only real way to display power is to leave people in your dust smoke or no smoke.

Smoke does not mean power. It means you need to do some dyno tuning...

Quick Reply: What up will all the smoke talk?