3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water/Meth what % is the best

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water/Meth what % is the best

I recently installed a snow water/meth injection stage 3. Snow performance recomends a 50/50 mix. I talked with ats and they said they tell people 10%. I was wondering what everyone is running that has one and how its working for ya>
Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people i know run 10-20% but i dont run it myself.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Appreciate it. i may cut mine back to a 20% mix to be safe
Old 10-08-2006, 08:00 PM

Snow Stg II

50/50 works fine. For putsing around just throw in the blue windshield washer solvent. They're usually around 30%. Depends on the brand, but that's in the ball park.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

around town, washer fluid ( cool down real well)
racing ive done 65%meth 35 water mix
the way i have it set up is **** ner feels like nx0
Old 10-08-2006, 10:11 PM

Sweet, i didnt think 50/50 was too much, but thats what ats said melted my piston, which i didnt see how since too much water meth actually puts out the flame and anything less then too much lowers your egts by over 200 degrees, wasnt adding up to a melted piston. I feel pretty comfortable running 50/50, and think ill keep on running it that way. Thanks for the info guys!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 PM

It seems odd that most on this site are runing 50% or less meth. For one water doesn't compress so if there's a failure and/or the pump sticks on you could hydrolock the piston and subsequently have parts breakage. For another reason straight meth cools alot better than water and it's also an octane booster. If you're worried about it catching fire with no dilution it's not an issue due to high flashpoint-you'd almost have to put it onto a flame-headers won't do it. It's also easier to tune with 100% meth as opposed to constantly differing mixtures.

On a gas supercharged motor I've been running it for a number of years straight with nothing but great results. Could it be different due to the diesel fuel?
Old 10-08-2006, 11:21 PM

well thats a good question, ive often wondered if one could run straight meth. Im not to worried about it hydrolocking and breaking something due to the fact that your always gonna have air going into the cylinder which does compress, I would think that if a nozzle did break or something that the pump dosent put out that much water to spray enough water in to the cylinder to the point that something would have to give, before you would notice something obviously wrong and shut it down. Reading on www.atsdiesel.com they say one of the advantages of water meth is that when the water combusts and the h20 hecomes hydrogen and oxygen it actually cleans the carbon out of your cylinder which should be a good thing i would think.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stabn' Cabin
It seems odd that most on this site are runing 50% or less meth. For one water doesn't compress so if there's a failure and/or the pump sticks on you could hydrolock the piston and subsequently have parts breakage. For another reason straight meth cools alot better than water and it's also an octane booster. If you're worried about it catching fire with no dilution it's not an issue due to high flashpoint-you'd almost have to put it onto a flame-headers won't do it. It's also easier to tune with 100% meth as opposed to constantly differing mixtures.

On a gas supercharged motor I've been running it for a number of years straight with nothing but great results. Could it be different due to the diesel fuel?
Try running straight meth, and then report back about how much you like fixing the blown head gasket.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

Meth is also highly flammable and it could flash and blow stuff up. It acts as a second fuel system much like propane.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 AM

If you are heavily fueled like me.....50/50 is way too much. Yes methanol is an octane booster....diesels don't like octane they like cetane so too much light fuel is very bad. 10% is a starting point but it will freeze. 40% doesn't freeze.....you put the hard stuff in the freezer and it just gets cold. If you are buying it solely for power you won't be as happy as if you are looking for it to cool the intake charge. ks
Old 10-09-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
If you are heavily fueled like me.....50/50 is way too much. Yes methanol is an octane booster....diesels don't like octane they like cetane so too much light fuel is very bad. 10% is a starting point but it will freeze. 40% doesn't freeze.....you put the hard stuff in the freezer and it just gets cold. If you are buying it solely for power you won't be as happy as if you are looking for it to cool the intake charge. ks
Thanks for the info. In my gas engine I get about a 60* temp drop on the intake charge and the added octane was just a safety net. Using meth also made quite a difference during the summer months when power would normally drop due to excessive intake heat. I'm sure my CTD would reap the same rewards.

I didn't know about the light vs heavy fuel difference. Great info.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM

I agree with you blue, I would think it will flash earlier. abs4yew, If it was a octane booster it would raise the flash point, since that what octane does, like in gasoline engines, the higher the octane the higher the flash point so in these newer higher compression engines the gas isnt trying to ignite before its sopposed to. so if it was a octane booster, that would be better, wouldnt it??????
Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 PM

as far as the head gasket blowing thats why they invented the firering.....
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 PM

run 65-35 you will like it alot better feels very strong when it kicks on and still cools. if you use windshield washer fluid make sure to shake the bottle if it sudds up on top don't use it that means there are cleaners and other harsh solvents in there wich aren't good. i made a post a few weeks ago about these kits and showed how to make your own for around 100 bucks

Quick Reply: Water/Meth what % is the best