3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Want toinstallBypass oilfilter separate from original filter

Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want toinstallBypass oilfilter separate from original filter

Hi
I've decided to hunt down a bypass filter setup to run after my cummins filter on my 03..anyone here know of a place in CANADA to pick up something that will get me down to the .5 micron range..a dealer or a website to purchase directly??..anyone hear of NTZ canister filters??
Old 10-29-2003, 11:51 PM

Re: Want to install a Bypass oil filter

Go to AMSOIL. They make a Bypass system that works real well.
www.AMSOIL.com ;D
Old 10-30-2003, 12:06 AM

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/lube/index.html

Actually I believe you want a full flow filter and a bypass filter.

http://bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/by-pass.shtml

A fine partical by-pass combined with a large bypass.

That way all the oil is filtered and the bypass only "micro-filters" when doing so does'nt reduce flow.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:30 AM

[quote author=MNISB link=board=17;threadid=21716;start=0#msg203447 date=1067494004]

That way all the oil is filtered and the bypass only "micro-filters" when doing so does'nt reduce flow.

[/quote]

I "think" you mean large FULL flow, not bypass???
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Want to install a Bypass oil filter while keeping original filter

NO matter what they say, no bypass system will effectively filter anything less than 1 micron. Either way, it takes particles 5-7 microns to start causing wear anyway... Amsoil makes a kit to put in line with the factory full flow filter as does oilguard..
Old 10-30-2003, 07:19 PM

[quote author=moterhead link=board=17;threadid=21716;start=0#msg203480 date=1067520611]
[quote author=MNISB link=board=17;threadid=21716;start=0#msg203447 date=1067494004]

[/quote]

I "think" you mean large FULL flow, not bypass???
[/quote]

Nope a factory sized full flow willbe plenty if you are running a bypass filter.

The full flow filters the smallest so it will trap the most volume of impurities. The bypass will catch mostly particles 10 microns and up depending on what filter you use. The point is that the full flow is more likely to fill up as it has the finest filtration. Full flow filters are more readilly available so I'd likely use a more or less normal sized filter. Like the largest one that I can get for a reasonable price from the local autoparts store. When you have a bypass to catch the majority of the volume of dirt I would'nt worry about the full flow too much as in trying for 2x the stocker or something.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:52 PM

Re: Want to install a Bypass oil filter while keeping original filter

OK, hers the FAT & SKINNY. AMSOIL setup relocates your original filter to where ever you mount the system. It is a Dual Remote filter system. The Bypass filters down to 5 microns and is very large, also the new regular filter that is put on is also very large. Just go to AMSOIL.com to check it out.
You WILL like it, however it is costly but then so is everything to do with the CTD ;D
Old 10-30-2003, 09:07 PM

Re: Want toinstallBypass oilfilter separate from original filter

I have checked the Amsoil units out...seems they have their own filters for the dual units..i wouldnt mind a dual unit since you can pick the location for ease of service..but i have a case of cummins filters and have no way of telling if they would fit the Amsoil unit..anyone tried to put a cummins filter on the full flow part of the dual units??..if they are comaptible it would go along way in my decision..the one time cost doesnt really bother me but i dont want to waste my filters
Old 10-31-2003, 10:15 PM

You can ask AMSOIL directly if they will fit. They are real good about Tech Support.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:13 PM

I goofed up there a ways...

The BYPASS filters the smallest so it will trap the most volume of impurities.

The FULL FLOW will catch mostly particles 10 microns and up depending on what filter you use.

The point is that the BYPASS is more likely to fill up as it has the finest filtration.

The all caps is the right term in the right sentance. No more posting after a long day with little rest. .. sorry.

The rest was OK.

"Full flow filters are more readilly available so I'd likely use a more or less normal sized filter. Like the largest one that I can get for a reasonable price from the local autoparts store. When you have a bypass to catch the majority of the volume of dirt I would'nt worry about the full flow too much as in trying for 2x the stocker or something."

Ok now for the new content.

If you delve deep enough into the donaldson catalog.... there are bypass filters which have ports for the oil lines right on them. The canister spins off and you replace the element.

I prefer this type because.

1. Refills are cheaper than a spin on filter.
2. The filter has more mounting options.
3. The filter body is tougher and better looking than spin ons since it is designed to be used and reused since you are just replacing the actual filter media.
4. You can see what the filter media caught alot better.
5. You can get them in many different sizes from about 2qt internal volume to filters in the GAL range.

Old 11-08-2003, 09:57 PM

I have found that most bypass filters are better than full flow filters. That isn't good enough for me. I have never been interested in oil that is almost clean. The best filter ever as far as I know was the Motor Guard of California. My oldest one still in use is over 30 years old and has saved me thousands of dollars. They discontinued the lube oil filters in the 70's. By then the oil changers had pretty much convinced people that oil is supposed to get dirty then be changed. I brought back the Motor Guard as a lube oil filter. A growing number of people are insisting on clean oil. General Motors is making a submicronic bypass filter available as optional equipment. It is a very good filter but is for diesel engines. It is large and must be bolted to the frame of a pickup. I have been told that it is a part number 15071671.
North Carolina Department of Transportation orders them factory installed when they order new trucks. They have the larger version on their ferry boats with the big CAT engines. Times are changing but I don't think the system of allowing the oil to get dirty wear and foul the engine then draining it is in trouble. Filters that clean oil are chipping at the old oil change system.
The Motor Guard Corporation only makes one size. One filter for up to 12 qts; two filters for 12 to 24 qts and four for over 24 qts. The filters have a one qt capacity. The little filters are actually better than the big filters but they have to be changed more often. The Motor Guard has always claimed to filter down to 1/100th of one micron. The new Motor Guards are similar to the origional filters but the die cast aluminum housing has been beefed up for industrial use and has an epoxy coating. They filter lube oil and fuel the same as they filter synthetic vacuum pump oil or other industrial fluids. Be careful about filters that don't work very well and have expensive elements. I have been running on clean oil for 40 years. I have used several good submicronic bypass filters.

Ralph