3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Waht did my dealer do to me?!?!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waht did my dealer do to me?!?!??

Ok, Here's the story... Last winter, I had a few times that the truck would just slow down.. I'd be driving fine, and it would just start slowing down.. Turbo was wound out, and not helping. I eventually linked it to when I had the cold weather front closed (temp from 15-0), and when I opened it up, a few min later the truck would take off like a rocket again (same temperatures, so it was not fuel gel).. I went to the dealer, and of course he "could not reproduce the problem"... He did, however download an "update" TSB which (as he said) "may help" (WITHOUT MY PERMISSION ) . So, I now have the truck back, and have not had the problem again (of course it warmed up, and the cold weather front is gone anyway), but now my truck is GUTLESS!!! Whereas I used to be able to run 75+ pulling my 10000 lb trailer up and down the mountain side. Now I have a hard time holding 70 mph on some regular hills, not to mention mountains! (almost as gutless as the old ford ), and the acceleration is horrible while pulling. So, my question... is there any way to get rid of whatever he did, and/or is there something else I need to look into? I really can't afford 400 bucks for a power tuner, but cannot stand the truck like this either! I'm pulling to Florida in a few weeks, and would really like to enjoy the trip as well as last time, not be passed by semis ! The dealer managed to wipe the smile off my face, it took a hundred thousand miles, but he did it!

Please help me get my truck back to the un-stoppable machine it once was!

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

You know what needs done now.... we both know what needs done now. Time to drop 685$ on a Smarty and be done with it. The dealer cant reflash the old program into it, they can only use the latest and greatest that DC sends to them. They probably snuck some "emissions compliant" software in there and it killed your power. Honestly, I dont know how you made it 100k without a power tuner. I made it 1100 miles before my first programmer and only 300 mi before the muffler came off.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by matego
You know what needs done now.... we both know what needs done now. Time to drop 685$ on a Smarty and be done with it. The dealer cant reflash the old program into it, they can only use the latest and greatest that DC sends to them. They probably snuck some "emissions compliant" software in there and it killed your power. Honestly, I dont know how you made it 100k without a power tuner. I made it 1100 miles before my first programmer and only 300 mi before the muffler came off.
my truck unfortunately couldn't be ordered due to restrictions at that time so i was stuck with one off of a lot. it had 225 miles when i picked it up and it had 240 miles when the muffler and kitty went MIA.

if they snuck emissions software in there your screwed. like was already said, buy a programmer. i have the predator and like it for the most part, but programmers are basically a matter of preference. you'll get a thousand different people with a thousand different suggestions. read them over and make your decision, its the chance you take with this stuff. just be sure you have gauges to protect your investment.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
For some reason a dying Lift Pump comes to mind. Has yours been upgraded to the in tank unit. If not I suspect that is what may be wrong. Use the key on and off trick three times and see if you have any codes. If all is well and the LP was changed to the in tank unit then a Smarty is in your near future.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM

Yep, lift pump was already replaced, it went bye bye and left me and the travel trailer in Ohio... That was not a good day. I was afraid you would say that... So is the BD-X tuner any good? and is it vehicle specific? I have a guy trying to sell me a used one, that is for the 2004 model, but I didn't know if they were vin # specific, or if they can be used on other vehicles after they were used once.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a Smarty JR. or Smarty. They really work and drop your EGT's which is unheard of in the bombing world.

Also, check for a chaffed wire on that runs by your A/C compressor High pressure lines right off the back of the compressor. Here is a link to the thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=81936
Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

definately check for that wire!

then put a smarty and a rail pressure gauge on it
Old 05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Join the crowd. Dealer put the back-up flash on mine, even after being told him 3 times not too. They even had me sign a wavier.....no going back.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 AM

when is the last time you changed your fuel filter???
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Mine was gutless (even with the Smarty in place) due to a weak LP. Added the Fuel Boss, no more problems (unless I go back to the stock tune). Smarty rocks!