3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Van Aaken smartbox L2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van Aaken smartbox L2 installed

got 300 miles on the VA duration box over the weekend. My truck it totally stock I (no gauges) so I didn't really put it through the paces. I concentrated on drivability and install. first impressions:

1. Throw away every possible evil fear you have of dinking with that ECM connector. That has to be one of the best engineered connectors I've seen, and the VA box inserts so nicely in there. This box is a 5 minute install.

2. Driveability: you dont' even know it is there unless you get on it. then smile. This is one box where you dont really need the in-cab control. I might want to turn it off when I go offroad but I tell you what, this is one great driving box.

3. You thought the cruise control was solid on your stock truck? holy cow, now its even better.

4. fuel economy: I noticed no change. hand calculated -- and I fill up the neck until I see fuel, so I'm dern sure one fill-up is accurate and repeatable.

can't wait to stack with their pressure box, which of course I have waiting in the box. so with that teaser I'm off for shut-eye and tomorrow over lunch or something I'll stack the pressure box on there and see how she runs!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:47 AM

Be carefull... like I said before I know someone who stacked the two boxes on a 600 before and the truck didn't like it at all. Only time the engine didn't have a stumble was at WOT. Glad to see that you have tested the VA box... I know there is going to be a lot more great things to come from VA in the near future. This duration only box is only the beginging. Keep up the good work Doug.

Horace
Old 04-26-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent! Guess I'm going to start saving some money for next year's BOMBing run.

MikeyB
Old 04-26-2004, 09:38 AM

Got mine on too...redefines what power is! The high setting is a little hot though if you stay in it for longer than 10 seconds WOT. I am also really impressed with smoothness, install, and quality.

Doug, you got guages?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM

so ar all smiles. yes, the install is both amazingly simple and high quality. very smooth power.

I didn't mention that I got the ECM fault code -- and I disconnected both batteries. but no matter, I cleared that up in a hurry with my lap top!

no, I don't have gauges, so I have to really hold to self control. I'm concentrating on drivability right now, not power.

yea I heard about stacked VA boxes on a 600. visions of severly retarded timing started appearing in my head, which of course does not apply (as much) to the 305.

well, guess what! I went for it. stacked 'em and turned 'em both up. woohoo! . I think I'll start another thread on that one
Old 04-26-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the VA duration box differ from the VA pressure box in terms of:

1) HP/TQ?
2) EGTs?

And, why isn't there anything on the VA website that describes this box? All I can find is the description of the pressure box. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 04-26-2004, 11:06 AM

you're not in the wrong place. their website is way behind. three VA dealers I'm aware of:

1. Danny @ precision diesel
2. Ted @ Janetty racing
3. Piers at Piers diesel research

you should contact one of those. Danny seems to be at the front in terms of the latest and greatest, partnering with VA, etc. But all three are well established and well respected vendors.

the pressure box is mild compared to the duration box. they just have a different way of fueling. I don't expect any difference in terms of EGTs but:

1. it is too soon to tell and I don't have gauges yet to measure it

2. the pressure box doens't fuel as much so it will be cooler
Old 04-26-2004, 11:15 AM

Doug.......How were you able to clear your code with your laptop

JIM
Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 AM

The high setting on the duration box is to much for the stock turbo. You can hit 1400 plus as quick as 70 mph unloaded WOT. Doug...I would be real light on the foot till you see you EGT's. I have never seen that gauge move so quick in my life till I was stomping on it with the high setting. You will even be worse...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, let me try to get this straight. If I'm really looking for a mild enhancement that will:

1) Give me a similar sort of performance improvement that my Hypertech PPIII did for my 7.3L PSD

2) Not burn up my stock 48RE

3) Not require intake and exhaust mods to keep the EGTs under control

then the pressure box is the right choice?

I don't want a stoplight racer, just a little edge when towing and maybe a bit extra in daily driving . . . kinda like the PPIII did for my Ford.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 04-26-2004, 03:07 PM

Just keep the switch to the mid setting...the VA Level 2 should be a great choice. It really fattens up the bottom and mid. The VA Level 1 on its high setting would be a good choice too, but it will not have as much gain as the Level 2 on the mid setting nor have the potential for Timing Advance as soon as VA figures that out (and upgrades us for free ).
Old 04-26-2004, 03:07 PM

Yes, I have been the model of self control. foot has never touched the floor. I have made a couple of nice smoke puffs in town when Fords are behind me, but smoke is easy to make on a six speed :-)

I haven't slipped the clutch either -- been running at half mast! see, you could give me a TST and I wouldn't dial up 9x9 and hit the track

Anyway, I wanted to test the drivability of the combination of pressure and duration. I gotta say I am very pleased at the drivability. power comes in real smooth and I can tell I'm using only a small portion of available power.

The pressure box all by itself will blow black smoke if you try. The smoke contribution of the pressure box was only about 25% more.

I am experimenting with various pressure box settings, and find very little difference in the butt-dyno (seat-o-pants feel) at the low end. just more smoke :-). But I haven't let her rip either. poor truck thinks its about ready to put out, and then I back off

NJMurvin: I'm not acquainted with the PSD mods you mention. but in *my* opinion, the VA pressure box is the only pressure box *I* would put on my truck for the reasons you mention and because of the lack of stress on the high pressure fuel system. This all my opinion of course, and keep in mind that I'm very conservative when it comes to pressure (lots of guys with aggressive pressure boxes are happy and haven't blown anything up yet...).
Old 04-26-2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Deuce
Doug.......How were you able to clear your code with your laptop

JIM
obd-2.com
Old 04-26-2004, 03:16 PM

cquestad: very good point. duration box on the 50% setting would work well, and probably be close to the pressure box on the highest setting.

and the duration box has a greater potential for being upgraded to include timing.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM

doug,
Regarding codes:
My VA level 2 should arrive this week. I am a little worried about getting a code. Are saying that you disconnected both batteries before installation, and your engine still "threw a code"? What does the display, or engine do when you get a code? Since I am not smart enough to remove the code w/ my laptop, will it "remove itself" after a certain amount of key cycles?

TIA

Quick Reply: Van Aaken smartbox L2 installed