3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Updating Smarty Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
I am pretty happy with 5.10B, it seems to have decrease the annoying timing rattle at lower rpms.
Thanks for that review AH, I've been curious if there was a discernable difference between 5.10B and 5.09. I'm very happy with 5.09 but I'm always up for an improvement.

Originally Posted by WhiteMule
Is there anything I should be aware of prior to hooking up my other Jr. to the computer?
No sir
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteMule
That is good to hear. Anything else that I might notice going from 5.08 to 5.10B?
You will notice a very different feel to TQ management. 5.08 was a mistake and WAY to little TQ management for the intent of the Smarty Jr.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:15 AM
MTC

Originally Posted by AH64ID
You will notice a very different feel to TQ management. 5.08 was a mistake and WAY to little TQ management for the intent of the Smarty Jr.
This statement is 100% correct. I am running 5.08 and if I have it turned up I can and will slip the tranny. It scared the heck out of me the first time it did it. I couldnt get home fast enough to turn it back down...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM

smarty version?

Kind of a dumb question. So my smarty has been on the truck level 3 (3 years now I believe)since I bought it and I don't remember what version it is. Do I just plug it back into the truck to power it up and its on the screen display?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a piece of cake if you are using Win7. All you need is SmartyUSB.exe and the program file. Plug the Smarty into the cumputer and Win7 loads the USB drivers for ya. Open the SmartyUSB.exe and open the program file and off it goes.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Ace
Banned

After seeing this thread, decided to update and just loaded 10b. Couldn't really tell any difference from 10a, tho. Always looked at it as a sort of fire-and-forget type thing, ran SW1 default 10a for about 5 months, never thought about it. Noticeable improvememnt in power on SW2, default tho. Going to leave it there for now.

Starting to wonder if there's any rationale for going with anything other than the default settings. I realize more power is more power, plain and simple. Just wondering why anybody would tinker with the TQ and timing. Shouldn't MADS have that optimized to the default options? What Smrty Jr. settings do you guys run and why?
Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM

The TM settings are there for smoke management. The order of least to most timing is TM1, TM3, TM2, TM4. TM1 is stock, and TM3 is the least smoke of any tuned timing. TM4 is the most timing, and the most smoke, but also the most hp. TM2 is the compromise between smoke and hp, which is why its default.

Around town the increased efficancy of TM4 is lost in the smoke for me.. so its the same mpgs as TM2, just harder on the oil. But on the highway TM4 nets me .5-1ish mpgs more, so if its a LONG drive i'll bump the timing up. Otherwise I run TM2/default all the time.

The TQ settings are there so you can have better accel/tq management than stock, but you can pick how much.. The levels are mild(2), milder(3), mildest(4). I like TQ2 for helping spool the turbo sooner, but if I towed more than 5-7K I may bump it down to TQ3 to help the clutch at low rpms.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
Starting to wonder if there's any rationale for going with anything other than the default settings. I realize more power is more power, plain and simple. Just wondering why anybody would tinker with the TM and timing. Shouldn't MADS have that optimized to the default options? What Smrty Jr. settings do you guys run and why?
I run timing 4 because it is the most efficient. Default (timing 2) is a compromise between efficiency and smoke, so in a way it is optimized. The timing can also be advanced or retarded to suit different injectors/other engine mods. Torque management along with POD can be very useful in many situations from nursing a drive train to slippery situations.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM

You beat me too it AH.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Ace
Banned

I thought more timing gave less smoke. What's the default TQ setting?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:05 AM

TQ 2 is default.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Ace
Banned

So default TQ2 is the most agressive, i.e. "least" amount of clutch slip?

I can't imagine how the ECM controls anything in the trans, but the things I don't know would fill volumes...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Yes the most aggressive.. But that means the most clutch/trans slip opportunity.. But that being said the most aggressive on the Jr is the least aggressive on the Sr.

It doesn't control the trans, but it reduces the tq/hp output of the engine until you are above a certain speed, thou I don't recall the speed. For example the AAM 11.5 rear axle is designed for a shock load of 430 ft/lb of tq at the flywheel.. So that is one number I have heard used for the de-rating of our motor until we are at speed. The TQ management on the Smarty removes some of that de-rating, or adds low end tq, which is why it feels so much stronger on the bottom end.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
So default TQ2 is the most agressive, i.e. "Most or more likely to" amount of clutch slip?

I can't imagine how the ECM controls anything in the trans, but the things I don't know would fill volumes...
If you have a stick it doesn't control anything. Tq 2 has the least amount of torque management meaning it is the most aggressive setting. Torque management is the limiting of fueling during various situations such as.
1 Low speed
2 low rpm
3 low boost
4 during gear changes with an auto
Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Ace
Banned

OK, got it. I think it just boils down to the manufacturer protecting themselves from stupid drivers. There's always going to be people who will drag race, sled pull, burnouts, whatever. In those cases all bets are off. Get a built tranny or DD clutch.

The design limitations should average out to a factor of two-to-one, safe tolerance, minimum. I suppose it would be better to slip the trans than break an axle trying to floor it from a standstill with a 5-ton trailer behind the truck. Gotta be a weak point somewhere. They are hard to find in the Dodge Cummins. Then again, there's people who can find a way to break an anvil in a sandbox.

Quick Reply: Updating Smarty Jr.