3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which turbo... again..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trik396
After researching and emailing back and forth with II, I'm going with a Silver62. With all these guys running larger turbos on the street, I don't think a little lag would bother me, especially if I'm after 600-700hp...
If you will waite till next week I hope to have a SPS on by sometime next week. I can let you know how it does. If brock can answer my above questions, and the Silver 62 spool up isnt much differant than the SPS66, it may help you make a decision. If I was buyin a new turbo it would be an SB but I am gettin one used.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After researching and emailing back and forth with II, I'm going with a Silver62. With all these guys running larger turbos on the street, I don't think a little lag would bother me, especially if I'm after 600-700hp...
Doesn't brock work for II? If so, I appreciate his honesty on other brands. What's the big advantages between the Silver62 and the Special B?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM

I am waiting until sometime in March (b-day), so I'll be listening for your feedback. The Silver62 from what I understand will flow more on the exhaust side, work better on the high end, and is built for handling nitrous.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 PM

Just had a brain fart...

If the Super B Single is only good to 450 hp and I end up adding the Hot Juice, will that alone not put me around 485 hp?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lark
brock, u sure you don't work for BD? LOL

I called them this morning and was told almost exactly what you told me. They said the Super 62 Single does not spool any faster than stock, but makes a lot more power and will run all day in the 40's. He did not recommend the Special since it's too big for what I'm wanting - too much lag unless you have the fuel to support it.

I also asked about the intercooler and again he said the same as you (and others have said). He said it's not really needed for my application, but it would certainly help. He said the stock one looses about 4 psi and their looses 1 psi, but it's great for lowering the EGTs. Maybe that's a good thing here in north Texas where it's so HOT and HUMID in the summers???

So, here's my drawing board...

BD Super 62 Single
BD Cool-It Intercooler
Torque Converter upgrade
Valve Body upgrade
Attitude with HOT setting (to be added to my Edge Juice)
* what do I need to do about fueling??? *
BD Twin Turbo setting later down the road...

The guy at BD swore this setup (single turbo) would give my current truck the difference between night and day. Agreed?
No but I did work for Industrail Injection till last friday. I got offered a better job at a dodge and ford dealership as the main dodge diesel tech, so I parted ways with IIS but on good terms. But that setup sounds great to me good luck let me know how it all works out.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by wap
brock, in your opinion how does the spool of the Silver 62 compare to the SPS66? What about the SPS66 to the SB?

How about top end and EGTs?
The silver 62 will spool faster because its a smaller compressor wheel than the 66 but I feel that if you can spool a silver you should spool a sps66 or a silver bullet 66. The silver bullet 66 and the silver 62 share the same turbine wheel and housing, the only diff is the compressor wheel. The silver bullet66 and the sps66 are close in spool times but I would take a silver bullet hands down, thats a mean turbo that will suport huge hp's.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 PM

Thumbs up

If you have the right fueling off the bottom end and don't mind a little smoke, you will be a VERY happy man, good choice man.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 AM

brock, one last question (ok, maybe not, but it sounds good )

It sounds like the Silver62 is a pretty good turbo and supports higher HP numbers than the Super B. If I end up with only 1 turbo and call it good after adding the Hot Juice and maybe some injectors and the intercooler, would you lean towards the Silver62 over the Super B? Which do you feel would spool faster and be better for non-track use?

Thanks again and congrats on the new job!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by brockdieseldude
If you have the right fueling off the bottom end and don't mind a little smoke, you will be a VERY happy man, good choice man.
Can you spool a SPS 62 without smoke? People in So Cal can get a little nuts with smoke. Most all of my driving is in traffic and on city streets so spooling at a very low RPM is a must.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Matt, you can spool the 62 without smoke, its all in how you do it, and what you have for fueling boxes. With a 6 speed like you have it shouldnt be difficult, just take off a little easy, and punch it after it gets up to about 1600 rpmish. You will have to play with it, but I can do it with my auto. But if I just punch it from stop without loading it, I will get a massive big cloud of smoke

Kevin
Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM

I just spoke with Brandon at II (he misses giving Brock edited by admin ) and I've changed my plans, mainly because of the low HP rating on the BD Super B Single.

The new angle of attack is this...

II Super 62 (SPS6280)
Dual Feed
FASS
2-Piece Manifold
Waste Gate Fooler
Map Sensor Fooler?

He's putting together a package price for me, but it will still be a little while before I can order it. He also recommended stacking the Edge Juice Hot, but I'm not sure if I'm that brave!

Brandon said the PS6280 (their regular turbo) would still be fine, but I can grow into the SPS6280. He said the Silver 62 was simply too much for what I'm wanting in power. He said I would not be happy with the spool time, as it's meant for folks putting out A LOT more power.

Forum Rules

You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-14-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: word filter by-pass
Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
Matt, you can spool the 62 without smoke, its all in how you do it, and what you have for fueling boxes. With a 6 speed like you have it shouldnt be difficult, just take off a little easy, and punch it after it gets up to about 1600 rpmish. You will have to play with it, but I can do it with my auto. But if I just punch it from stop without loading it, I will get a massive big cloud of smoke

Kevin
Kevin, have you dynoed that beast yet? Sounds like you're about where I want to be..
I'm getting a Silver62 in the near future...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
wap

Originally Posted by Lark
brock, one last question (ok, maybe not, but it sounds good )

It sounds like the Silver62 is a pretty good turbo and supports higher HP numbers than the Super B. If I end up with only 1 turbo and call it good after adding the Hot Juice and maybe some injectors and the intercooler, would you lean towards the Silver62 over the Super B? Which do you feel would spool faster and be better for non-track use?

Thanks again and congrats on the new job!

Looks like you figured it out but I was gona mention the next step up for you from the super B is would be the SPS no the silver. If you had considered the super B but now think you want a little more I would just do the PS or SPS, I doubt you will ever see the benefit from the silver in your aplication.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Hey trik I will have it dyno'd this weekend, cant hardly wait. I will post as soon as I can after that

kevin
Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by wap
Looks like you figured it out but I was gona mention the next step up for you from the super B is would be the SPS no the silver. If you had considered the super B but now think you want a little more I would just do the PS or SPS, I doubt you will ever see the benefit from the silver in your aplication.
You're dead-on! I don't know if you read my post above talking about the SPS, but that's now the route I'm going to go.

Someone should come out with a Turbo for Dumies thread. It would have saved you and Brock a lot of time!

Quick Reply: Which turbo... again..?