3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck not warming up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck not warming up...

I recently installed the majority of the upgrades in my sig. I can drive almost thirty miles without getting the thermostat to open. The truck only gets to normal operating temperature if I pull a long hill and put some boost to it. I dont want to beat on the truck while its not warm so I never get to use the skinny pedal. Cam, compunds? What could be causing this? I just had the entire heater core flushed becuase I blew my HG so that is prisine and has a brand new thermostat.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, I'd say it was a bad thermostat that was sticking open...none of the other mods would do anything to help you run cooler, and most will make you run hotter...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Sounds like there is air in the system.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Just a tad more info would help narrow it down:

Pyro temp?
Coolant Temp at start? (Where are you reading the temp) Don't go by the factory gauge.
Coolant temp after 10 or so miles?
Outside Air Temp?

I've found with my ride if the engine isn't under some load, it will not warm up. Even at high idle it won't get over 135-140F. That being said, I'd pull the thermostat and check for damage as well as its operation by putting it into a pot of water and slowly heating it up. Thermo should open just before the water simmers. If it opens way before, then you found the problem.

The other thing you can do is put a piece of cardboard in between the rad and the intercooler to see if that helps.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Are going by the 'idiot' gauge on the dash? There not the most reliable in terms of an accurate temp.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Thermostats fail. Even new.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Air in the system would cause an overheating situation. I'd put money on the thermostat being bound open. If placed in a pot of water on the stove to test for proper operation, it should open around 195*.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the great things about a diesel engine is how efficient they are. Try and get a gas engine to make 650 ft/lbs and still get 20mpg.

Heat is a byproduct of energy production. The more efficient the engine is, the less heat it will produce.

Power mods for any engine primarily make the engine more efficient.

Do you have a winter cover?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Actually air in the system can cause a few different types of situations. Usually just a lack of coolant will cause an over heat condition that the sending unit in the head can detect.

However air in the system introduced by a leaking head gasket will cause the coolant temp sensor to read low, even though it is probably running hot. Usually the heater doesn't work either until rpm is increased.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by .boB
One of the great things about a diesel engine is how efficient they are. Try and get a gas engine to make 650 ft/lbs and still get 20mpg.

Heat is a byproduct of energy production. The more efficient the engine is, the less heat it will produce.

Power mods for any engine primarily make the engine more efficient.

Do you have a winter cover?
I don't know about that. You're mostly increasing the fuel delivery with most tuners and aftermarket (for the most part, larger) injectors clearly increase the amount of fuel delivered. Thus, creating more heat.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM

I am using the idiot gauge. The truck used to warm up much quicker. If its under load like climbing a hill it will warm up. But just crusing at 65 it stays at just over a quarter on the temp gauge. It is winter but even when its in the mid thirties it takes alot to get it warm.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM

My heater is working fine as well. Ive never seen over 1350 on the pyro. Usually crusing its between 700-800.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM

It may be the thermostat, as those found in the local parts stores today are hit and miss. Get yourself a Cummins thermostat.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What bypass do you have and where does it run too and from? It could be stuck open as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
I don't know about that. You're mostly increasing the fuel delivery with most tuners and aftermarket (for the most part, larger) injectors clearly increase the amount of fuel delivered. Thus, creating more heat.
Yes, when you're using all that extra power you'll burn more fuel, and generate more heat.

Originally Posted by southpawslingr1
I am using the idiot gauge. The truck used to warm up much quicker. If its under load like climbing a hill it will warm up. But just crusing at 65 it stays at just over a quarter on the temp gauge. It is winter but even when its in the mid thirties it takes alot to get it warm.
And there you go. Put it under a load, and you generate heat. Cruising down the highway at 65mph isn't any strain at all, and it probably takes less throttle to do that than it used to.

Quick Reply: Truck not warming up...