3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Triple window gauge pod, any advice??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Triple window gauge pod, any advice??

Hey All, I'm looking towards a gauge set up. On all my vehicles, I always put in aftermarket gauges. Even though my truck only has 350 miles on it, (Yea, I know) I would like to know whats going on. Ive been interested in the triple pod that goes on the window above the rear veiw mirror. Ive seen a few posts where people were complaining about them not staying attatched to the glass good, and problems with the pod blistering and warping from the sun. I see auto-meter now makes a pod. Ive always had auto-meter products, and was always happy. Maybe a few of you's can help with some advice.

Ive seen a package deal on Dieselpowerproducts.com for a decent price.

My questions are, do they give you long enough wires and probes, to mount the gauges that high?
Will I have to worry about the pod deforming after a few months?

Right now, Im looking to get Boost, EGT's and Im undecided to get Fuel press. or trans temp?? Im not doing any heavy towing yet, so I dont know If I need the trans temp yet?? Im also un-decided on the stock matching ISSPRO's or the Di pricol's, Ive heard the ISSPRO's match a little better.

Any advice people, throw it my way!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 PM

You should try di-pricol guages, those are nice. I think they are better looking then auto-meter's. I pretty sure that they make pods for them and stuff. I have three of them. Everything works fine so far, good quality.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:16 AM

Ive heard the ISSPRO's match a little better
their [isspro] pyro doesn't have the big white dot... if i didn't have my ultralites, i'd be getting the new isspro's
Old 07-02-2005, 10:30 AM

I used a 3 gauge pod from autometer for my center console.

Old 07-02-2005, 11:38 AM

By the way... How does the pod mount to the glass anyway?? Velcro??, suction cups??
Does it have some sort of lip, that slides in between the headliner too??
Old 07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Chapter President

I am also interested in feedback on the "windshield" mounted gauges. I had the triple pod on the "A" pillar on my '01, and did'nt like the blind spot it created. I looked at the "cubby hole" under the radio mount also, but did'nt know about ease of viewing...bought a 140hp Zillaraider at Indy, and need gauges asap.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:29 PM

ME TOO
Old 07-03-2005, 08:22 AM

anyone here have pic's of the windshield pod? i am thinking of going with a 4 guage one and some dakota digital's in them... [full sweep electric matching ulitalites would cost too much, and they don't have a full sweep electric water temp yet]
Old 07-03-2005, 10:00 AM

i've got the windshield mount and isspro's. went w/the isspros 'cause their gauges all look the same (vs dipricol and the "big white dot"). the windshield mount will require lengthening of the wire from the gauge to the signal transmission box for the pyro gauge. check w/ diesel manor at www.dieselmanor.com they were supposed to get a shipment of the longer wire harness for the pyro from isspro specifically for use w/ the windshield pod. back to the pod, mine has had not problems so far w/sliding and blistering. a couple of 90 degree days out here in cali, but no heat waves yet. i tucked the wires under the head liner, but in retrospect, i think it would be a much cleaner mount if you ran the wires in a black plastic spiral and tucked it against the lip of the head liner. the wires get so thick that they make the headliner gap a bit from the window when tucked under. if tucked against the lip, you would not see it anyway from the cab and from the exterior, the black glaze on the window would hide it. the pod itself does require modification, so a bit of patience is required to whittle down some of the plastic. also if you get some beige/taupe colored foam tape, you can use that as a gasket to seal the edges against the headliner and eliminate any light leaks. the isspro backlights are great and match stock perfectly. i'm happy w/ the overall looks and function. i'm vertically challenged and use my a-pillar handle to get in, so i did not want to lose that feature.......
Old 07-03-2005, 08:20 PM

I've got a pic in my gallery of the windshield pod but since that was taken I've moved it to be more central. Since I sit pretty tall in the saddle I lose view of a bit of the top of the gauges, but once you know where the numbers are all you need to see is the needle anyways. All in all I'm pretty happy with it and haveh the Autometer Phantom boost, pyro and tranny temps. Everything is run up inside the A-pillar then stuffed under the headliner. Every now and then I give the passengers side of the pod a little nudge to reseat it, but pretty minor, and it looks good in my humble opinion.

Ken
Old 07-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Chapter President

Well, I went and did it...ordered the 3 gauge windsheild pod and Isspro's from Diesel Manor. Hopefully I won't regret it...I'll keep y'all posted on how they turn out...

Cat Cracker.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

Badd Dogg Guy19,

We are the folks that got Gauge Works to make those for Auto Meter, been wanting them for a loooong time as they are out of the way and easily seen at the same time. The mount is attached to the glass with what is called mushroom tape, the hard plastic velcro, and it also slides up under the headliner. We haven't had any customers have any problem installing them or them not staying in place. The key is the plastic needs to be clean, it might have some mold release on it so you need to wipe it down before you attach the velcor and you shoull be OK! Call us if you have any questions we stock all of them as well as all the Auto Meter and DiPricol gauges.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Angry

WELL I am another one that cannot get the pod to stay in place, LOVE the idea but they definatley need a better way to attach it!!! I have even went to AutoZone and bought some $5.00 double sided molding tape and that also didn't work!

My latest thought is to use some clear silicone and hold the pod in place with stick unitl the silicone sets???

My pod is also blistering a little, might send it back it I cannot get it to hold and keeps blistering.

Dave at DieselManor has been great

thanks

Quick Reply: Triple window gauge pod, any advice??