3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Towing & High HP w/ Electric Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing & High HP w/ Electric Fans?

Flex-a-lite says like 27hp more and I think avg. of 2mpg. As many of you have followed the build in my Sig, I am building a truck that has no fan, no shroud, etc etc So as long as I have to spend money I want to really explore the options.

As far as the Towing goes, it is definetly rumored that they arn't good for towing. As far as someone actually having electric fans installed and towing a heavy load and actually having problems b/c of the fans, .... that is a different story. I have not personally ever read anywhere or talked to anyone that can testify first hand that these type fans failed on them. I am not saying it hasn't ever happened, I am just saying all I ever hear is "the rumor". I am seriously thinking I am going to be putting in the Electric fans in my truck and would also be interested to see what folks have to say about their experience with them.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has 1st hand experience with them in a High HP or towing situation.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

I've been running the Flex-a-lite for 2 years on my 08.

I tow an aveage of 9 to 10K and mostly long distances.

I only ran into one instance where they didn't do the job. That was going over the Rockys last august with about 10.5K. Truck got up to 230 on that long climb on I 70. That's not an alarming temperature, but it's the hotest that engine has ever been. I usually stay at 190 all the time. If you have a tuner with a read out, you'll see the temps go from 190 to 195 when the stat opens. Some days the engine temp drops to 188 when the cooler water circulates. It never did that until I put the electrics in.

As far as 2 MPG, forgetaboutit. Maybe .5. But the truck is more responsive from idle.

I did it and glad I did.

I do suggest you install the manual switch to override the fan thermostat. You can flip the fans on to run full speed on a real hot day oe while doing long hill climbs. Flat terrain is no problem at all. BTW, it is very important you install the fan stat exactly as the instructions say and make sure the boot is on the end of the stat.

Click on my Mods link and you can see everything else I have done.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM

Wow, 23.7 mpg! Nice! And thanks for the input. So you can toggle the fans and still have an "auto" setting? Havn't looked into how they work yet.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM

The controller that comes with the fans has options which I suggest you connect

AC compressor The fans run full speed when the compressor is engaged. If tyou like cold AC in stop and go, it's well worth the short run of wire.

Manual switch. . . Over rides the automatic function and runs the fans at full speed.

The controller regulates the fan speed by what is needed. Base is 60% speed and it will increase as needed. The manual switch can be turned on and the fans will run 100%. They go off with the ignition too, so there is no worrys

I put an LED on my fans. They don't or didn't have the feature on the controller. Rune a negitive wire to a motor ground wire and power the LED at the other end
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Im over 800 h/p and tow alot and wanted elec. fans just to clean up engine bay. I built my own fan set up w/ 2 ford tarus sho fans and fabed up my own shroud. They work aweseme! Im using grid heater relays and trigger the low side off a/c and high side off 195 therm switch in head. The fans soposedly pull 2500cfm low and 4500 on high each!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Think of it this way ....... if electric were better then every semi truck would have them. My experience with high performance cars??? use the belt driven one. Electric (in most cases) can never pull the same amount of air. If your engine uses 5HP to drive the belt driven then there is nothing for free except efficiency improvement. So that means you may get the same work from 2.5HP of electric. Think 746W per HP x 2.5 = 1870Watts divide by 12 to get amps and that is 155A when running. My friend has a 64 Vette and converted to electric. Yes it worked and kept running his battery down so back to belt he went. I never want my engine to go over 195ºF and it never does with the factory setup.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
Think of it this way ....... if electric were better then every semi truck would have them. My experience with high performance cars??? use the belt driven one. Electric (in most cases) can never pull the same amount of air. If your engine uses 5HP to drive the belt driven then there is nothing for free except efficiency improvement. So that means you may get the same work from 2.5HP of electric. Think 746W per HP x 2.5 = 1870Watts divide by 12 to get amps and that is 155A when running. My friend has a 64 Vette and converted to electric. Yes it worked and kept running his battery down so back to belt he went. I never want my engine to go over 195ºF and it never does with the factory setup.
I have to disagree with you on the trucks.

I have seen trucks with Electric fans. Busses and Motorhomes use either electric or Hydraulic. The Electrics can produce the same CFV and volume as the belt driven fans. The reason they're not used widely in larger equipment is 2 fold.
1. Costs
2. The conception of reliability
Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger

Something isn't right. An electric 6000CFM fan for a Chevy Diesel draws 28-36 Amps. A 155A equivalent would draw 25,800+ CFM. It's roughly 166CFM per Amp @ 13.6v.

As for your friend how small of an alternator was he running? Was it already at its limits?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Spooled, that is impressive sir!

So ok, here is the scoop thus far...

Out of all the people I have talked to, many of the positive reviews were of people that HAD electric fans currently installed or HAVE had them. I DID NOT hear anything bad about electric fans on these trucks from anyone that currently has or has had them. All negative reviews/opinions were of those that like me had only "heard" they couldn't keep up. So far, I am leaning torwards getting them.