3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Tornado" air intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tornado" air intake

I am starting to look into some aftermarket options that will increase performance, HP, and/or MPG. Has anyone ever used the "Tornado" system as shown onTV. Is this just a gimic or could it actualy work.

Also looking into the Amsoil foam filter instead of my K&N.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
The Tornado makes a great paperweight, and can create great French Fries if you hold it "Juuuust Right".
As a milage/performance improver,.......save your money.
The Amsoil foam would be an improvement in filtering ability over the K&N.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:05 AM

It's a Gimic.....waste of money, don't bother.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not trying to start a "this-and-that war" but could ya'll recommend a place to start with ad-ons. Looking for something that is easy and cost efficient.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Put a box on it and a transmission pressure loc.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:34 AM

The foam filters generally do a better job of stopping dirt than cotton filters. If you decide to upgrade the air intake, the Scotty RA3 is one of the best with a 2-stage foam filter element.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:29 AM

The Amsoil filter is a good addition. If you have the cash, the Scotty Ram Air III with the Uni foam filter (works similiar to the Amsoil) is an excellent choice. Scotty is also developing a high flow tube to fit between the Ram Air III and the Turbo. Next on the list is an exhaust system. The OEM muffler is a cork and holds a lot of heat in the engine/turbo. You need to get rid of the heat before adding any programing boxes. If you like it quite, a Banks 4" down pipe and a 51" Donaldson muffler is what everyone is recommending here. For progrmming and gauges, I like the Bully Dog Power Pup and Bully Dog Outlook monitor. That should keep you busy for a while.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 AM

I started with the exhaust and intake, get an EGT gauge (Exhaust Gas Temp.). Then I would look at one of the fueling boxes. The Edge and Van Aaken seem to be the least problematic, just my observation. I would not go more then this until you...

Upgrade the TRANNY. I ran the Edge on 4 with the stock 48re. She slipped a little while towing, but nothing that I would really be concerned about, short distance on the flats. Because I wanted more power, I upgraded the TC and V. Body, night and day difference. I think that there is a tranny shop around your area that can hook you up with a reliable tranny upgrade for peanuts, compared to my ATS. Do a search on trannys, it was talked about around 3 weeks ago, his shop is around you somewhere. He sells a shift kit and TC for a good price.

If you go with just a fueling box and intake/exhaust, your tranny should be fine. If you are towing HEAVY, keep the box on a lower setting and watch the EGT's with the stock tranny, and get a tranny temp gauge. If you are looking at a timing/fuel box (TST), upgrade the tranny.

Just my .02

Mike
Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 AM

For the trans mod, do a search for Tim Holt.

Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

Tornado

Ya'll can say what you like. Ronnie Sox/Buddy Martin race team told me in late 70s that you get fuel and air in fast and out fast you can have a much better engine. I have always trusted what they told me. Look at my truck specs. My tornado is one small part of that combination.
I am averaging 21mph on every highway trip.

My truck at www.GoRowan.com/2004ram

Old 11-23-2004, 05:20 PM

A Tornado,a Tag and Duralube.**** what a start in performance mods.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Banned

What a derogatory statement from a senior member!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:53 PM

I just installed the Scotty Ram Air III along with a TAGIII plus the Banks full 4"... WOW what a difference. We have a couple of long hills (Mio) here in mid to upper Michigan, not to mention some bridges (Zilwaukee), well last week pulling the fifth north for deer hunting was the test, the rig never dropped more than two miles per hour with the cruise set in 6th gear, before the mods it would drop about 6 to 10 depending on the hill. With no load the boost seems to be 2 or 3 lbs less just cruising and comes to life when you nail it. EGT's never went over 1200 when climbing the hills. Banks seems a little loud, may take some time getting used to it. When I blasted my buddy with his smaller fifth and Duramax, he just said "WOW that thing hauls and sounds awesome, I need to BOMB the Dura!!" Mileage actully increased about 2+ MPG's when pulling. I have ordered the New Tube from DPP and we will see what that does. Pondering the AeroTurbine to quiet the drone a little bit, any comments on this welcome. So far the whole system from Dave at DPP has been great. Can't wait til the spring race at Darlington to see what this rig does on the mountains... if not sooner!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 PM

It's right up there with those magnets for your fuel line.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 PM

Many magazines have tested the Tornado and not one ever said it worked that I can remember. And this is coming from a "mere" member.

Quick Reply: "Tornado" air intake