3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time for TOUGH pistons!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for TOUGH pistons!

Well as some of you may know it hasnt been an easy road to build a high HP CR! Why wasn't 500 HP enough?!
Now its a melted #6 piston! (smarty sw9, mp-8 on kill)
While everythings apart, wanna upgrade to better pistons, and a cam.
What is everyone's suggestion on pistons, and compression drop and cam??
Ceramic coated or not?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you seeing for EGT's?
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM

How did you get that hot? What were egts? What symptoms led to you pulling the head, again? Dude, that sucks. With twins you should be able to control egt's well, I don't understand, I am making 800 hp right now with no egt problem at all. Jay
Old 11-22-2008, 11:48 PM

Oh, and important question, how much timing advance were you running? If you were injecting very early egt's wouldn't have shown the extreme heat in the cylinder. Dang, you boys get me to worrying on here!!! Jay
Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 AM

Yep...need to be careful not to lug the motor too long. It's easy to do, even with twins. Cylinder temps can get up there quickly! I'm curious what you were running for timing as well.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 AM

from what i have heard some #6 cylinders the clearance wasnt correct in some late 05early 06 trucks.i would go with coated pistons i am happy with them thus far...
Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk but you need to find what happened or it will happen again. With your twins and smarty and mp8 you should be ok. I would be send your injectors out. Thats the one issue that scares me about these trucks it doesnt matter how well you build the motor or what you coat, if an injector hangs it will easily roast a cylinder. These injectors are the weak point of the motor, and with or without added pressure they can go south at any time.
Good luck, Rye.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Cummins pistons are all you'll need. Any aftermarket piston will be too soft and not stand up to daily driving. Dropping compression is a tricky thing to do and have the truck still be a daily driver. I wouldn't worry about that.

I think coating is a good idea... some don't. I'd go with ceramic tops and teflon skirts.

As for a cam. there's several to chose from..... F1, Hamilton, Maxspool

how you build the truck depends on what you plans are with it.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
Well as some of you may know it hasnt been an easy road to build a high HP CR! Why wasn't 500 HP enough?!
Now its a melted #6 piston! (smarty sw9, mp-8 on kill)
While everythings apart, wanna upgrade to better pistons, and a cam.
What is everyone's suggestion on pistons, and compression drop and cam??
Ceramic coated or not?

I feel your pain. I have melted my engine down twice this year alone. First time was too much timing and the second time was too much N2O causing catastrophic failure. Big, useable horsepower is a learning process and an expensive one sometimes. Go with ceramic coated tops and teflon coated skirts, that will help. From all the research I did Cummins pistons are the best. The aftermarket pistons out there are great but are not really designed for extreme mileage wear. (So I've been told) But remember when you make the pistons bulletproof all that heat will be working on the head then, so make sure your valve seats are upgraded or you will be going back into the motor again for a dropped seat. While you have it down you might as well go ahead and get 14mm headstuds and stud your mains just for some peace of mind. I am dropping my compression this time around as well am shooting for 15-15.5:1 to get a little more air and fuel in there, much lower and it will be a smokeshow when its cold. But not sure on what grade pistons I'll be using since I have not recieved my head back yet from machine shop after the deck job. Will keep you posted on that.

You definitely want to get the bypass from Opie if you can, to help keep the #5 & 6 cylinder temps in check with better coolant flow.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM

all this is sounding good for the engine build i will be doing soon, sorry to hear about your loss 12V, you have had a rough year
Old 11-23-2008, 09:08 AM

it sounds like timing is one problem we had if im not wrong timing on the smarty was on #4 and sw#9 with the mp-8 on kill..btw where is a good place to buy these pistons?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Cummins dealer can hook you up. Need your engine SN#.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So many ideas! on pistons and compression drop...

Someone suggested the Q480 piston, which i believe is cummins.
Others arias, but then i hear about seizing problems with the forged pistons?!

BTW its a daily driver, and we live at 6,700 feet elevation!

The overheating problem might have arised from too much luging, the wastegate was stuck open, and turbos spooled hard, BTW on the run where that happened timing was on default and SW9 mp-8 on kill. it rattled really bad!
Does mp-8 add timing? or why does it rattle now more then it did with smarty alone?
Im not sure on the egts, cant watch all gauges in less then 12 seconds. i believe they musta reached 1600
Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
Does mp-8 add timing? or why does it rattle now more then it did with smarty alone?
no, all the MP 8 does is pressure, and some say boost fool
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back cylinders run the hottest.
put the pyro in port 6 and read it!!!
If you run it very long over 1300 it melts things. You need more air.

Quick Reply: Time for TOUGH pistons!